Post Thanks / Like

Oil temperature

Hello, have installed new radiator without oil cooler/heater option. and now my oil temp rises up only to 60 degrees of celcius, i have installed temp gauge near the stock oil pressure gauge. Is this normal oil temperature in that place? how much oil temperature you are having without oil cooler/heater radiator? shouldnt the oil temperature vary between 90 and 110 celcius?
    Last edited by chipis; 04-11-2012 at 08:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil temperature

~90c is ideal.

If you're running a remote oil cooler, it's best to have a thermostat in situ as well.

Post Thanks / Like

at the moment im not running any oil cooler and it cannot reach necessary oil temperatures

Post Thanks / Like

How long are you running the engine before you take your reading? It takes the oil a while to fully heat compared to water.
    Also what gauge are you using and where is the sender located.

Post Thanks / Like

iim driving an hour or two with many hard pull ups and temperature hardly reaches 60 degrees of celcius. i have installed my temp sender nearby oem oil pressure gauge joint to the block. As i understand c1j engines are too small to heat the oil by them self without oil heater in radiator and thats why factory has made oil heater in the water radiator. now im thinking how to make oil heater with aftermarket coolant radiator

Post Thanks / Like

I never had a heater on my car, just a oil cooler with a built in thermostat.
    My oil always sat at around 90c.

Are the ambient temperatures a lot lower in your country?
    Also test your gauge on some boiling water with a thermometer inside aswell to make sure your getting correct readings from the gauge.
    A bad earth can make a gauge read funny.

Post Thanks / Like

What have you done with the sandwhich plate and pipes? or are you screwing the filter direct to the block? my oil takes a bit to warm up and sits normally around 60ish celcius, little low but in the winter i put a panel across the cooler to increase the temps. Ideally a thermostat with cooler should be used, i cant understand why its not getting up to more than 60 without a cooler, certainly should do,.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your gauge reading correctly? As far as im aware the original rad has an oil cooler built in not a heater?

Post Thanks / Like

The water heating up in the rad does heat the oil untill the temperatures equalise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    I never had a heater on my car, just a oil cooler with a built in thermostat.
    My oil always sat at around 90c.

Are the ambient temperatures a lot lower in your country?
    Also test your gauge on some boiling water with a thermometer inside aswell to make sure your getting correct readings from the gauge.
    A bad earth can make a gauge read funny.
    where have you pluged oil temp gauge sender unit? i thought such low temperatures are usual for this kind of engine, i will have to check it in boiling water and its earth as well!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

they should normally be in the sump plug..

Post Thanks / Like

so i wonder where people are meassuring oil temp and what readings they get in different places?

Post Thanks / Like

I was measuring mine off the front if the block. Where the triangle plate sits with the 3 bolts. Readings where around 80-90c

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chipis View Post
    at the moment im not running any oil cooler and it cannot reach necessary oil temperatures
    So you have it plumbed o.e (via the radiator), or no cooler whatsoever?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    I was measuring mine off the front if the block. Where the triangle plate sits with the 3 bolts. Readings where around 80-90c

I would say this position would only tell you vapour temps.. Manufacturers (vag) have them in the sump..

So as I said earlier, in the sump is the best place

Post Thanks / Like

also the temp of the block is going to be affecting the readings, chances are your oils actually colder than that in the sump, the temp leaving the turbo ideally is best as its this temp you want to know as this is where its likely to be hotest, ive welded a boss in by my oil return pipe to measure it here roughly. sump plug imo just makes a target for speedbumps to rip off and dump your oil

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My sensor is soldered into the back of the sump. I have an external oil cooler (with stat) and depending on the weather I see between 100-110c ish.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    also the temp of the block is going to be affecting the readings, chances are your oils actually colder than that in the sump, the temp leaving the turbo ideally is best as its this temp you want to know as this is where its likely to be hotest, ive welded a boss in by my oil return pipe to measure it here roughly. sump plug imo just makes a target for speedbumps to rip off and dump your oil
    Yes, obviously it's better getting a fitting welded in the sump, but most people can't be arsed to take it all of so just stick them where the sump plug normally goes (they are actually quite small)..
    Anyway the point I was making is that the best place to read oil temp is in the SUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Yes, obviously it's better getting a fitting welded in the sump, but most people can't be arsed to take it all of so just stick them where the sump plug normally goes (they are actually quite small)..
    Anyway the point I was making is that the best place to read oil temp is in the SUMP

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I put my oil temperature sender into the sump where the oe oil level used to be, ie at the front by the turbo return pipe. I've put it in here and turned engine by hand and it doesn't hit, but will it be submerged in oil?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the oil level will be lower than that? The OE level senor is quite long and is angled downwards so it sits in the oil......

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I suspect the oil level will be lower than that? The OE level senor is quite long and is angled downwards so it sits in the oil......
    shame it fits lovely in there, I have got an in line sender housing that I'll have to use then. Where's best to put it, maybe in the oil turbo return pipe?