Post Thanks / Like

Dashboard removal guide?

Is there a guide on how to remove the dashboard from the car? I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific

Found loads of dodgy wiring and want to rip the lot out and sort it properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dashboard removal guide?

remove stearing colom remove speedo cluster. remove centre consil remove A piilar trims remove front footwell trims . unplug the dash wiring. pop back the heater controls

leave wiring loom on the dash

find the srcrews that hold the dash to the heater box and remove

unclip the dash from the foot wells

when its all swinging free unclip the top of the dash from the top and remove the dash

takes me about 20 mins but ive taken a few out

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck there. removed one on saturday. But wiring was a mess, and wrapped around every item. Main thing is removing all the screws which hold it in place.

Rough idea:

Remove clocks and lower steering cover. Unbolt steering column (4 bolts) 2 screws to side of it hold dash. Undo the wiper and indicator stalks and remove. Unplug all switches and time clock, remove both A pillar plastics, remove centre consol, remove ash tray, lift up flap on dash, remove lower tray bit and undo screw under there. Can remove kick plastics or just unscrew at front, its awkward if you dont remove as need to disconnect the 3 plugs behind each panel and the earth. Behind ash tray there are two plugs which need disconnecting. Use a long screw flat head screw driver and unclick at the sides of the dash, you will see white clips which are easily broken though so be careful with those. There are three clips which run across the top which I am not sure if there is a good technique to unclipping these apart from bashing the dash up to unclip. Might find removing the left air vent you can lift up easier there. Once all those unclipped lift dash forward and you will see the two cables which hold the vent wires in place. Unclip those cables from the heater box. Also there is the fan speed controller as well to unclip. Also ignition wires need removing. Think thats about it. But once you remove the dash out you will see what is left

Post Thanks / Like

dale we should have a dash removing race ...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, well I need to remove the dash from the Raider, I will time you if you can remove it in 20mins and fit in 20mins . And sort out wiring. I can remove one very quickily if I dont want to save the dash I know you dont need to remove half the stuff, but if you are sorting out the wires and remove the wiring itself you will need to do all that stuff anyway, only ever removed dashes when being replaced

Post Thanks / Like

It's odd that the heater controls have to be pushed backwards, I spent ages trying to pull them through the front and ended up totally destroying them

Good job I have a spare, but now one of the clips that hold the control cables on has pinged off behind the dash somewhere. Presume you leave those cables on the heater controls and disconnect them from the heater box instead?

Thanks for the guides they are very handy.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has any pictures of dash removal they would be extremely useful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    Some info on the dash board clips:

I took these pictures last night as I was using this thread to help me, pics show the 3 clip locations across the top and the two side clips, one each side.

I found the best way to remove the top clips is to pull out the bottom of the dash a bit insert a long tool like a breaker bar so the end is pushing against the underside of the top of the dash and push up to pop the dash off the clips.

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    check it out in a haynes manual either the blue or the green one thats quite helpfull imo there illustration is quite good but .its a right pain in the arse i found never do it again personally

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

why are you guys always leaving the wiring loom in? :/

Its so much easier just to unplug it in the sides and in the middle.. and leave the fusebox on the dash..

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the pics and info.

Not touched the 5 over the winter so when it warms up a bit i'll have another bash at getting it out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoooL View Post
    why are you guys always leaving the wiring loom in? :/

Its so much easier just to unplug it in the sides and in the middle.. and leave the fusebox on the dash..
    plus a lot easier putting it back in when finished with.

Post Thanks / Like

I basically didn't realise I could leave the loom on the dash untill I took half of it off. But I had so much other wiring to take out, for gauges and alarm that it made it easier to have the dash out the way anyway.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ninebar View Post
    I basically didn't realise I could leave the loom on the dash untill I took half of it off. But I had so much other wiring to take out, for gauges and alarm that it made it easier to have the dash out the way anyway.
    was also foremost commenting on it for others finding it later to know its easier..

Aftermarked wireing for the win

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoooL View Post
    was also foremost commenting on it for others finding it later to know its easier..

Aftermarked wireing for the win
    I'd agree, leaving the loom on the dash would be the way to go.

Interestingly the Haynes manual I have doesn't say anything about un-clipping the wiring connectors or leaving the loom on the dash on not