Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project Old5kool

Hi Trev,
    That little valve thing is number 23 - https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...highlight=fuel

I believe, and could be wrong, if you were to roll the car it stops fuel coming back out the filler.

Yeah Renault electrical tape, pretty sad , still it was cheap enough from ebay and has to be better than the crap stuff from the local diy shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you learn something every day! Never seen this before. Cool

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Took a trip over to GT Turbo Spares last night. After months of meaning to buy a spare windscreen I finally got around to doing so. It's one of the those things I want to have in my spares stash. Let's be honest parts like this are going to get harder to find as time goes on so buy them why you can is my moto.

On the subject of windows I dug out the new side windows and fixings.

and then put them together. I was going to fit them today but decided the metal brackets need a bit of work first before I refit them so that's a job for one evening this week.

Last edited by markg; 30-10-2016 at 21:31.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No real progress on the build. I was hoping to get the tailgate back from the bodyshop today but it wasnt done . Should hopefully be getting it next weekend now.

A few more new parts however

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No updates for a while as basically I have been lazy and not done anything.

Still, picked some more parts up from the bodyshop this week and hope to get the tailgate built up and fitted tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice build, you won't want to drive it once it's done.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Really nice build, you won't want to drive it once it's done.
    No way. Going to spank the crap out of it once done. No point building a museum piece.

Tailgate is on. Still need to get the gaps sorted.

Likes Matty, Matt Cole, Mr Raider, tubbyG, Lowiepete liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like a multi-year project inching forward

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No updates for a while because.... I've basically done bugger all.

Still hopefully now the warmer weather is on the way I though I had better pull my finger out. Plan is still to just put on as many random bits that won't be in the way as possible, mainly just to free up some space !, and then see what's left and formulate a plan.

New perc fan and safety loom dug out. Mine never had the recall done so didn't have the inline fuse before the fan motor. Having already had it catch fire once in the middle of Kingston town centre many many years ago due to the lack of a fuse and the motor seizing I wasn't about to make that mistake again.

I've kind of gone so far now with new parts I pretty much end up buying even the most obscure bits to have it all as near to new as possible. Rubber pads for the tailgate bumpers from Mike @ GT Turbo Spares.

Some more random purchases. I'm going to be running Forge degas and breather pots but want to have the original ones in case I ever decide to put it 100% OE. Any mods I have, or will be doing, are easily reversible. The washer pump seems to have been replaced by lots of suppliers with a different design pump, despite what pictures they show. Possibly this new design is a better pump but didn't look right. So i found a nos Halfords one on ebay so at least it looks correct to anyone in the know, or sad like me

Post Thanks / Like

You car is going to look so mint once its re-built, fresh white paint and new parts look

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Few small bits fitted today, it all helps as they say. Got 6 days off soon so hopefully some real progress.

Ignore the dirty subframe, it's getting resprayed as the colour match is off.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Slow progress but I have done a bit. I'm in no rush to get it all back together, would rather do everything as good as I can when I get the time.

The sunroof was looking a bit manky

So I got the bodyshop to spray the surround and I cleaned up the seal.

Just waiting for the wife to machine up the headlining material I bought which covers the sunroof frame inside the car and then it can be refitted.

Next up the looms that run through the chassis rails looked a bit old and tired.

Replacement looms from Juracing.

Offside loom fitted.

Years ago I picked up a new wiper motor cheap. Nothing wrong with the old one but due to its age why not fit a new for reliability.

Whilst it was all off it made sense to clean up the mechanism before fitting the motor. It's one of those parts thats hopefully never going to be comming off again so nows the time to clean it all. Just waiting on some new fixings before I put it back on.

I also cleaned up the rubbers that go between the bodykit and the body. Before (bottom) and after (top). Yet another part you wont see once it's all fitted but there is no way I'm putting dirty parts back on regardless.

You may notice the seat belts are fitted. That was so I could chase out the threads after painting. That was a bit of a pain to be honest without the correct sized tap but it's done now at least.

More updates soon, maybe
    Last edited by markg; 30-05-2017 at 22:22.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more new odds and sods. It seems quite a lot of the wiper mechanism fixings are now nla but I got what I could. Anything else will have to be reused and tidied up before fitting. After reading quite a few bad things about the aftermarket steering joints on facebook I managed to get a Renault one for a fiver off ebay.

Got to grab new 195/55/13's when you see them. Although there is talk one of the vintage tyre companies is going to start producing these.

Likes Matt Cole liked this post

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark looking good, I need to do the front window wiper mechanism fixings on my red gtt.

When you do dont suppose you have any pic's? think I am missing some kind of spacer

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly getting there. I still can't believe the level of detail on this. I bet it's soon to be a show winner........

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up it seems that Photobucket have changed their T&Cs so you can only link to pictures from 3rd party sites, like Rtoc, if you have a paid subscription. Sadly I dont which is why all the pictures in this thread no longer display. If my understanding is correct, and it may not be, they are going through users so even if your links are still working today you may have the same issue shortly. Being the bloody minded type I'm not being held to ransom to signup for a subscription so over time I may try and move the photos to some other free hosting site.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Just a heads up it seems that Photobucket have changed their T&Cs so you can only link to pictures from 3rd party sites, like Rtoc, if you have a paid subscription. Sadly I dont which is why all the pictures in this thread no longer display. If my understanding is correct, and it may not be, they are going through users so even if your links are still working today you may have the same issue shortly. Being the bloody minded type I'm not being held to ransom to signup for a subscription so over time I may try and move the photos to some other free hosting site.
    I can see a lot of pictures on here just disappearing then. Which is not good 👎

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested here is some info on the Photobucket fiasco. As Liam say's quite a lot of photographic content could soon be disappearing.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06..._3rdparty_pgs/

Post Thanks / Like

We should now stop using 3rd party photo hosting. It's killing the site!

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    We should now stop using 3rd party photo hosting. It's killing the site!
    I don't know any other way Matt. But I agree. If all the pics disappear we have an issue!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    I don't know any other way Matt. But I agree. If all the pics disappear we have an issue!!
    Just spotted that Jeff Ninebar's pics in his resto thread have also fallen foul to photobucket. I am sure they still worked a day or two ago.

I was kind of hoping that photobucket would see sense and reinstate linking but its not looking likely.

Just a suggestion, and I have not looked into it at all, but perhaps as an alternative the club could purchase cheap storage on AWS or Azure for photo hosting ?. Just concerned whatever free hosting company people use for pics leaves them at the mercy of the provider just like we have now with photobucket.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So back on topic.

Had a little bit of time today so got the new n/s chassis rail loom in. I found the best way was to pull the new loom back into the car from the engine bay. Dug out a new clip for the connector of doom. Luckily I bought this before they got expensive.

All looking nice and tidy now.

And this is how it did look when I was stripping it down a few years back.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more bits done. Wiper mechanism refitted, just need to double check I have the park in the correct place.

As normal I spent longer digging out the bits I needed than doing the jobs.

Made a start on the heater box. Old matrix replaced, looked pretty knackered. Rheostat is the next job, may as well do it whilst the heater box is out.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have been reading this thread you will know I do like to pay attention to detail. The other day I discovered you can now get anodised alloy self tapers

This could get expensive at around £2.50 each but worth it in my opinion.

** Just a word of advise for anyone else considering using alloy fastners. They are not designed for stressed areas. Odds and sods like the matrix cover are fine but anything that needs strength then forget it they will be dangerous..

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe all them photos have gone!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Made a start tidying up the sunroof surround. As you can see the old one was rather manky mainly from mould after I left the car stored when I took it off the road. To be fair the foam backing was pretty much dust so it would have needed replacing anyway.

So the wife ran me up a new one using the headlining material I bought a while back. Just needs gluing into place and then I can fit the sunroof back in properly.

I could not believe it when this turned up on ebay the other week as it's another of my grail parts. Even more surprised when I was only the second bid and won it for £102 !. I thought it was going to cost me many many times that so well chuffed. Just need to find new fuel and water temp gauges now and I have the full set, if anyone has any leads on those please let me know

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Little bit more progress. Thought I would start getting the fuel tanks sorted.

Reserve tank bracket was fairly new but needed a clean up. No point buying a new one as half the time new parts come all scratched up anyway.

I was worried the aux fuel pump bracket may have rotted away but actually despite looking rough it was pretty sound. I had assumed this was pasivated originally but in fact it was actually black.

Checking the tank to pump hose I found this.

I like originality but safety's something else. So hose had to be replaced. Here is the hose that Renault now list as the replacement, sold by the metre.

After spending far too much time on it aux pump cleaned up and refited.

New tank pad that has been tucked away for 10 years awaiting fitting.

And the final result. Aux tank all cleaned up and ready to bolt back on.

Last edited by markg; 16-09-2017 at 18:55.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to use this thread to help rebuild my oe 5!! Love it!!

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to use this thread to help rebuild my oe 5!! Love it!!
    If you can find the bloomin parts 👎

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Started cleaning up some of the interior plastics. Top one all cleaned against the uncleaned one at the bottom. Actually came up pretty good without any special cleaning products.

Few more new parts. Surprising what's still available although not cheap. That little lot's about £90 for nothing in particular.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

what did you use to clean the interior trim? Just water and elbow grease?

Post Thanks / Like

Aux tank refresh - superb

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    what did you use to clean the interior trim? Just water and elbow grease?
    I find baby wipes work really well. Then a quick wipe over with some Autoglym rubber and vinyl protector or some sort of matt finish product depending on what I'm cleaning.
    Likes LiamR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, update the missing pics!😔

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark, update the missing pics!😔
    Just looked at my thread for the first time in god knows how long and see all the pictures are back.

Some updates soon...
    Likes Matt Cole liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not posted in ages but I'm still about and should really crack on with getting this built...

So I got the doors and wings are back from the now closed down bodyshop. I also managed to get the paint from them so will get someone else to paint the bodykit when I'm ready.

Starting having a little play today just mocking up the fuel pump / filter assembly..

Think the fuel filter is the wrong way round but need to take it off anyway and fit some foam to the back of the bracket as the filter is loose even when the bolt is tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep the posts and pics coming!