Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project Old5kool

A little bit of progress since my last update. Some of the stone chip has now been applied. However this is now waiting on a car spit to arrive so the underside can be painted properly in the booth. If you've been following this thread you probably can hazard a guess what colour it will be

I'm having some work done on my house so need to clear the loft. Found some more of my parts stash tucked away up there so have taken that to my storage place. The new parcel shelf I managed to get a couple of years back which was a nice find. I've probably had the new electric window mechanisms for about 5 years, still hopefully 2015 is the year they will finally be put to use !.

Right, I'm going back in the loft to see what else I can find, it's better than Christmas .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Found a few more bits in the loft... Is it just me or do others have parts stashed everywhere !.

New front and rear bumpers.

and a rear bumper strip.

Post Thanks / Like

epic. simply epic

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more new parts this week. Thanks to RTOC for sorting out the fuel relays, great to have a spare . My rear view mirror had started to go brown in the corners so I wanted to replace it. I couldn't believe how cheap a new one was from Renault, cheaper than second hand on ebay. Just need to find the old one to make sure it's the same. I also got some new grab handles. NLA from Renault now I believe.

The loft clear out continues. I couldn't help but open the box with the NOS carpet in and get a pic. I assume its a replacement part as the eagle eyed will spot it has heel protectors on both sides. Perhaps Renault did this to save having to stock lhd and rhd versions ?.

Post Thanks / Like

Some lovely parts here Mark.... Carpet is lovely can you send me the Part number please.

How much longer do you anticipate the car taking? I'm not sure if you have seen my recent progress mine should be back on the road by summer.

Si

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

At last some progress.. Not much but is moving in the right direction.

Car has now been bolted to the roll over frame so the underside can be sealed and painted properly.

Makes working on the underside a whole lot easier....

Now just waiting for some wheels to turn up that will be mounted to the frame so it can be pushed into the spray booth and painted underneath

Post Thanks / Like

How's this project coming on? I need some inspiration 😀

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you bolt the car to the frame, I can't figure it out from the photos?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispraider View Post
    How's this project coming on? I need some inspiration 😀
    No updates on the car I'm afraid. Still waiting for the casters to be put on the frame so it can be moved into the spray booth. Not even bought anything recently either as just spent a fortune having work done on the house

@beng - I will get some better pictures but the front one bolts from under the front panel and the rear across the back of the car if I remember correctly. Looking at the pictures its about 1 and 4 o'clock.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

We have some progress...

I went to see Matt and Callum at the body shop this morning and the underside had been completely stone chipped and loads of seam sealer to stop any water getting into panel gaps.

This is how it looked

Then then told me they were getting the underside painted pearl white to match the top today so I hung around to get some pics.. The pearl coat was still wet hence the shine on the pictures. Just needs to be lacquered now and we can spin it back over and get the subframe and rear beam back on. Then the top side can be done and I should get it back

I also got some better pictures of how it's bolted to the jig before they started painting.

Post Thanks / Like

Ace bud you don't know how much I would love to do this instead I'm doing it on axcel stands and on my back my inners are shot and my rear jacking points too keep up the good work the only thing I will say is don't use seam sealer on the drain holes along the inner sills that's what happend to mine the guy who did the new sills thought he was doing right well ten years on after I took the seam sealer off the inners were gone because it has held the water in and rotted them away. Seam sealer isn't all it's cracked up to be if used too much. Now I have to have new sills again everywhere they didn't use it after 10yrs is still mint..
    Last edited by Nottswoody; 24-05-2015 at 07:39.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Still need to get a few bolts before I can get the rear beam, subframe and suspension etc bolted on so the car can be wheeled into the booth for painting. After not buying much for a while I found some interesting bits lately so have been spending again. Some of these are in anticipation of another project I keep thinking about. Not going to say too much until it happens.

New clock for the dash was a nice find.

The hoses and indicators are potentially for project number 2 should it happen. New dizzy simply for the sake of reliability, not that I think they really cause any issues.

I can't wait to get the car back. This is going to be better than Christmas bolting on all the new and shiny parts

Post Thanks / Like

looking forward to seeing your car when its back from the body shop, going to look mint

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small update. The underside has now been lacquered so we trial fitted the beam. Just need to get some more new bolts from Mike and it can be fitted back on permanently. There is a couple of minor marks in the paint but they will be blown in.

Quite pleased with how it's looking. Colour coded subframe to go on next.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A momentous day !. For the first time in over 5 years I have actually bolted something back onto my 5

As always Mike came up trumps for the bolts I needed to put the beam back on.

As anyone who has been following this will know there was no way the old rear discs would be going back on so it was a case of pushing the new bearings into the discs.

A word of advise. The circlips supplied with the new bearings seemed slightly too large so I took the circlips from the old discs instead which fitted much better. The lesson being don't throw anything away. Old discs were K-Tec drilled but to be honest I couldn't tell any difference and I think they had actually warped slightly so I just went for bog standard solid discs this time round.

Old vs New discs

[

After spending an age cleaning up the spacers that fit behind the discs the new discs were dropped into place. Only hand tight currently as they need to come off again next week when the disc protectors are painted and fitted.

A couple of weeks back I got an email from ebay with a 20% off code. Would have been rude not to use it !. So after much deliberation I went for a Piper 270 cam. With the discount it was £128 so about the cheapest I have seen. As I'm not really going to be running a big turbo I felt it was probably the best compromise. Whilst I was at it I got a new Rheostat from Bob as well. Nothing wrong with the old one but it seemed a false economy not to change it whilst the heater box is currently out.

Next week will hopefully see the rear end finished off and the front subframe fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome progress mate, looks mint!

need to make myself a spit too, makes it so much easier working on the car in a small shed!

Post Thanks / Like

You are lucky im doing this now but in my garage on my back. Dam hard work but will be noce once done.. So lucky to have that bud. Looks great

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more spares. Didn't get a chance to do any work on the car last weekend but hope to get it back on it's wheels this Saturday.

Replacement mirror glass for 99p each was a bargain and handy to have for the future. Spare fog light, again just in case one should break in future. Strangely enough it's a Rover part but cant for the life of me think what Rover had these fogs fitted ?.

Originally I had fitted some yellow Apex springs. However I got these cheap and Red will suit my colour scheme better, yep it's that sad

Again a bit OCD but I don't like the brown OE dizzy caps that come with the new distributors so swapped it out for a black one. Would have been rude not to replace the washers with some Red alloy ones whilst replacing the cap

I'm currently working on something a bit one off whilst reconditioning the alternator. Pics to come if it works out as hoped !.

Post Thanks / Like

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work, shell looking really good. I also bought some red Gmax springs to go on my new set of Koni's lol look better than yellow!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I managed to get the rear beam all bolted back on properly today and also fitted some new De Carbon shocks. The rear disc protectors had been painted,but are slightly the wrong shade, however for the minute I will live with that as I wanted to get the rear sorted out so we can get it rolling again.

Then I hit a problem. The disc on one side all bolted up fine but on the other side no matter how hard I tighten it there is some play. I put the old disc back on to check and its fine so I can only think its an issue with the bearing. So new bearing has been ordered and will try that next week. That's kind of stopped play for today but not so bad as I'm doing the London to Brighton night bike ride this evening so means I can get on sorting out stuff for that rather than doing it as I'm rushing out the door as normal.
    Last edited by markg; 11-07-2015 at 13:22.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just going to hopefully get the subframe and suspension back on. Can someone remind me which side the gold top mount goes ?.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some progress....

Fixed the problem with play in the rear wheel bearing. New bearing from CGB and it seems OK now. However nothing is ever easy is it. Taking the nut back off resulted in it getting jammed. Eventually got it off but messed up the threads on the axle. Managed to clean it up and get the new nut on but need to replace it really. Spoke to Mike and he is on the case to see if a new one is available.

Pic of the rear beam all fitted from underneath..

So next up was to fit the subframe back on. Word of advise the nuts which fit into the subframe clips are no longer available from Renault so make sure you keep your old ones.

Then it was time to put the new suspension arms on which had also been colour coded..

Followed by the suspension. Hub still to be painted but just wanted to get the car rolling so they can finish the bodywork...

And mission accomplished. We now have a rolling car again...

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark loving the project, looking good loving the rear beam and subframe all colour coded to the car

Post Thanks / Like

Great project. Can't wait to see this progress!

Post Thanks / Like

Dont come any fresher than this, excellent work!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No work on the shell today so have been sorting out parts for the rebuild.

Only the other day I was looking at the price of alternator bushes and wishing I had bought some a while back when they were cheaper. Low and behold I found these earlier in a box with other stuff.

A smear of washing up liquid later and new bushes fitted to the chromed alternator bracket.

AI have been getting all my fastners sorted out in preparation to start rebuilding. Theres loads more genuine Renault ones but need to dig them out and more importantly remember where they fit.

Also I found some more rocking horse poo hidden away !. Sadly not been available from Renault for some time now. Looking at the sticker I bought this back in 2006.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Following on from my last post I thought I would sort out all the small clips and fastners etc. Turns out I have quite a lot and even more surprisingly remember where most of them go ...

I also found these tucked away Crazy to think how much I paid back in 2006 compared to what they sell for today.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A little progress. The roof has now been taken back to bare metal and ready to be sorted prior to paint. The paint on the roof has always been quite poor, I suspect a bad repair job when the sunroof was fitted. Therefore taking it back to bare metal seemed the best option to omit any further issues in the future.

No exciting purchases this week but did pick up a spare inner windscreen rubber cheap and the unopened bulb kit was a nice touch to have in the glove box.

Post Thanks / Like

Great project mate, not tempted to do away with the sunroof while you are at this stage?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Great project mate, not tempted to do away with the sunroof while you are at this stage?
    I did briefly think about getting rid of the sunroof. However to do it properly meant a roof swap which is a lot of work. Plus despite all the new parts I still want it to be my old 5 when it's finished.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Still no car back but they have started prepping the bodywork so hopefully not much longer now.

As always picked up a few more goodies ready to fit.

Phase 1 grill badge just in case I decide to fit a ph1 grill or even buy a Phase 1 in the future. Thanks to Mike for supplying this. I picked up that new fuel tank heatshield on ebay last week. Although I have already refurbished my old one there was a couple of holes in places where the rust had gone through the thin original metal. Hopefully this one will fit OK and plus its White which is a bonus !.

These I thought were a bargain !. A set of workshop manuals for £15 delivered. I already have the one to cover the gearbox so these may well come in handy when putting the old girl back together.

Hopefully some more pics of progress on the bodywork next week plus a few more parts I'm waiting to be delivered.
    Last edited by markg; 05-09-2015 at 15:36.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more goodies... I found the wing mirror in Germany, I just need to find a new genuine Renault N/S one now. The door fixing kits are pretty good including hinges, pins, bodykit rivets, gromits and plugs etc etc.. More obscure parts on the way as well. This parts gathering is really turning into an obsession

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Epic build Mark, really enjoy reading and making reference to the project, where did you get the door kits from? I could do with one myself.

Chris

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris, thanks for the kind comments. Door kits were from the link below although it may be worth asking the local dealer if they can still get them, part number is in the link as well. If you contact the seller I found he was happy to post to the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3014524008...84.m1436.l2649

Cheers
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Cool kit!

What are the rivets for? And those funky spring clip type things on the right?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the spring clips are for a model with door mouldings and the rivets hold those clips on. However the rivets look the same as the side skirt clip ones on a gtt so that's a bonus especially as they are so expensive to buy.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So a bit more progress has happened. The guys in the body shop wanted the rear bumper, arches and lights as they weren't that happy with the rear quarters. To be fair even though they have had my car a very long time I am happy that rather than just knock it out to get rid of it now they still want to do it properly which is all I have asked for from the beginning.

It seems like no post from me would be complete without some more new parts pictures Picked up a pair of front bump strips and a telephone hose from a person in Cyprus. Although my engine bay will be far from OE I would like to have all the new parts to put it OE if I ever wanted to in the future. Still waiting on a few more obscure bits to turn up.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark am loving this thread quick question on the rear beam, I have attached a pic of yours the bits with the arrow on how is it attached to the rear beam?? is it bolted on??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi James, If you mean the part the caliper bolts onto then I believe that is held on with Torx bolts. If you mean the axle the hub nut goes onto then I dont know yet as I havent got a replacement axle which reminds me I must contact Mike and see how he got on finding a replacement. Does anyone know if the axle is removable ?.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The obsession continues, more new parts .

I know people moan about parts no longer being available from Renault but occasionally they do surprise you with obscure parts. For example the gear stick linkage and the plastic cover that goes between the door and the door card. Only one side is available now but at a tenner it's a bit of a bargain really. The fact it's in the really old Renault packaging makes me think they couldn't have been that popular as this must have been on the shelf for what 20 years ?.

I was particularly pleased to find a new bonnet lock and cable. Unavailable from Renault so I am told but I got these from France for about £20 the pair. As I always say if you keep looking long enough you will find it eventually.

Going to the bodyshop on Saturday. Fingers crossed they have actually done some more work to it as I'm beginning to loose patience now and want to build the damn thing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stopped by the body shop earlier and they were doing some work on my car. Rear quarters were being sorted and they recon it will be in primer by the end of next week. Well wait and see on that one....

As always I have been buying more new bits. Nothing terribly exciting mainly service parts and some OE parts should I ever want to convert the engine and bay back to full OE in the future. Might as well buy parts now whilst they are still available.. just.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    I believe the spring clips are for a model with door mouldings and the rivets hold those clips on. However the rivets look the same as the side skirt clip ones on a gtt so that's a bonus especially as they are so expensive to buy.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Loving this build is truly amazing mate, where did you get all ya bits chromed cheers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Webber, Chrome parts were from an old member on here that had bought them originally from CGB but never fitted them. Bob at CGB used to sell a lot of chrome parts a few years back but sadly it now seems the only way is to get them done yourself.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bodywork is still not finished but some more work has happened. Stopped by the bodyshop today and all the repairs are now finished so the shell is 100% rot free. Door and wings have been temporarily fitted back on so the bodywork can be preped and panel gaps checks to ensure everything fits correctly.

A few more parts, the trim above the rear light was a rare find, not seen a new one before, just need to find the other side now . The plastic box is all new torx screws. No point putting the old marked ones back on . Original turbo heatshield just in case I do ever decide to go full OE in the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like

Blows me away this thread. Awesome just awesome!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not updated this thread in a while, mainly because not much has happened. However I was pleased to find the car being prepared for the first, of many, primer coats today. Should have it back by the end of the month ready for the mammoth rebuild to begin

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more progress. The shell has been primed, guide coat applied, and ready for flatting. Repairs all look good, you cant tell they have been done which is exactly what I want. Hopefully some more news next week.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Treated the old girl to some more new bits. Anyone else catch the 20% off ebay sale on Thursday evening ?. Having not bought anything in ages it seemed rude not too with the discount on offer. Still waiting for a few more bits to arrive. The exhaust section and gearbox cover are just in case I ever do decide to go back fully OE. Thanks to Matt for sorting out the deal on perc fans