Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project Old5kool

Unfortunately the body shop was closed today so no update on the doors. Hope to see them done next Saturday.

The weather was far too nice to stay indoors playing with cars today so all I managed to get done was a new coil fitted to the AEI. However that's another part ready to bolt back on.

Post Thanks / Like

It didn't even occur to me that the coil could be removed and that you could get replacements! How did you know the old one had a problem?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    It didn't even occur to me that the coil could be removed and that you could get replacements! How did you know the old one had a problem?
    Hi Trev, As far as I know the old one was OK. However as its 25 years old I didn't see any harm in replacing it for the sake of reliability.

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's getting closer to me getting the car back . I went to the bodyshop and progress is being made again.

Both door skins have now been fitted. The only rot was at the bottom of the N/S door and that has been cut out and repaired.

The scuttle area is now repaired. I always wondered where the leak was on the drivers side. Turns out there was a hole under where the washer bottle mounts. The windscreen surround has all been cut out and the new one just need fixing into place.

Battery area in the scuttle was pretty rotten so its all been cut out and fresh metal welded in. New battery tray ready to bolt in.

It's actually beginning to look like a car again

Rear beam is now getting painted so we can then get the underseal done and get the car back as a rolling chassis. Then it's more or less ready to be prepared for paint.

Picked up some more new parts recently, will upload some pics later...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gradually running out of bits to buy now as I pretty much have everything I need. I did pick these parts up recently however. I seem to have a water pump fetish, I have 3 new ones now although in my defense this one is a genuine Renault.

Anyone who has read page one of this thread will have seen I like shiny things. So I thought why not add a few more pieces when these came up on the bay. Shame really as I'm running 13" speedlines so you wont really see them. Still I know they are there

Post Thanks / Like

Great update mate.

Can i just ask whats the part number of the dipstick (cant quite see it all) and how much was it pal?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gtturbo View Post
    Great update mate.

Can i just ask whats the part number of the dipstick (cant quite see it all) and how much was it pal?
    77 00 679 693 is the part number. No idea of retail cost as I got this and the water pump from a chap on ebay. I bought one years ago and think it was about £15. I saw on a French site there was some potential issues with Renault supplying incorrect length dip sticks but this one seems OK compared to my old one. If you do get one double check the length and markings to be on the safe side .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the part number and yes will do, top tip

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small update. Spent a couple of hours this morning trying to remove the sticky residue from the sound deadening/carpet on the rear wheel arches. Plenty of thinners seems to be doing the trick and one side is now done and the other still to finish off. We also need to grind back the repair and prep for paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Looks like some decent progress.

Can't wait to see it finished. Or back at yours ready for the mammoth rebuild.

Si

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Small update. Spent a couple of hours this morning trying to remove the sticky residue from the sound deadening/carpet on the rear wheel arches. Plenty of thinners seems to be doing the trick and one side is now done and the other still to finish off. We also need to grind back the repair and prep for paint.

Have you got new pads for the rear arches. Apparently its like a shot gun going off without them. I've finally got my hands on a decent tidy pair cleanly removed.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Si, We managed to get the old ones off cleanly although I am not sure if I am going to use them. In fairness my bodyshop told me the same thing but personally I quite fancy a clean painted look in the boot rather than the carpeting. If it comes to it I may just get the full sized arch covers from a later model.
    Last edited by markg; 11-08-2014 at 14:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really that loud with them removed? Ive removed all the carpets/sound deadening from mine and last bit I need to do is these bits of carpet on the rear arches...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Carried on today with trying to remove the sticky residue from the n/s wheel arch. Still not quite finished but I got bored and gave up. Another hour should see if complete. Also the replacement tailgate has been trial fitted. Need to now bond the spoiler on before we paint it. Glad I got this tailgate as a spare all those years ago as the original was totally shot and this one is 100% rust free.

Post Thanks / Like

I would paint the tailgate and the spoiler separately and then use double sided tape to secure it. That way both items get painted on all sides. Sticking the spoiler on, it's easy, you can't tell and if it's done right it will never come off of its own accord but you will always have the option to remove it in the event of a problem or wanting a change.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Trev, I was going to do it that way until reading on here a few weeks back about the paint on the spoiler potentially cracking if you paint it off the car and then fit it. To do with the spoiler being so flexible I believe. I will be making sure they paint it all however before it gets stuck on. That's the nice thing about the car being stripped down to a shell, they cant cut corners as you will be able to see if any hasn't been painted. I'm a bit anal about these things and in my mind the inside should be as good as the outside even though you will never see it.
    Last edited by markg; 17-08-2014 at 16:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Mark Whatever you do, I know it will be top quality.

I don't know what the painter did to my spoiler in terms of the type of paint or the way it went on but it never appeared to be fragile or susceptible to cracking. Maybe I just got lucky, though that would be a first

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

After a sort out I finally managed to find my new rad fan blade.

So I gave the new radiator end tanks a quick polish as the factory finish wasn't great and it now looks a little better. All new stainless fasteners fitted, I hate seeing rusty bolts, and thread locked so nothing works loose in the future. Just need to find and fit the rad fan switch and this can be packed away again ready to be fitted.

I also found some more bits whilst looking for the fan blade. Some new 195/55/13's for when I get my wheels refurbed but I think I have bought too many headlights

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally managed to get rid of the remaining sticky rubbish on the rear wheel arches from where the oe sound deadening had been fitted.

We then set about filling the repaired areas so we get a nice smooth paint finish in the boot.

Then it was a case of rubbing it all down. It probably needs going over again but not looking too bad so far. We still need to put the seam sealer on to give it a factory look.

The other side has been filled but needs rubbing down. I also still need to sort the boot floor. Its going to have sound deadening fitted but there is a couple of repairs that need tidying first.

And also thanks to Mike@GT Turbo Spares for sorting me out a new spare wheel cage this week.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small bit of progress today. The other wheel arch has been rubbed down although it all wants another skim to get spot on.

I then rubbed down the repairs to the boot floor.

Some sound deadning trial fitted to ensure you cant see the repairs. I need to order a larger sheet however so I can do it in one piece.

Not a huge amount of progress but progress all the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Project looks amasing. How did you get fan frame to fit without fan touching rad? Got a problem on mine at moment needs about three washers so fan will clear?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi James, I didnt need to use any washers to space the bracket away from the rad. Where is the fan catching, all the way around ?. Perhaps you could pull the bracket to tweak it slightly ?

Post Thanks / Like

It just catches on the top lip of the rad, if I mount the frame flush then the fan is touching the radiator lip. Rads a Valeo OE one so its a tad puzzling.
    Last edited by Jimmy5; 15-09-2014 at 18:43.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, so we have a bit more progress.

Windscreen surround has been cut and spotted into place. Just needs tidying now.

All the way back on page 2 I mentioned some new rear suspension arms I got from Mike (GT-Turbo-Spares) and how they had very slight surface rust but that didn't matter, and actually suited me.

And here's why.....

Pearl White rear beam to go with the subframe

As the torsion bars are covered in rubber they have intentionally been left as they were.

Just got off the phone to Mike and he is going to sort me out with some new fasteners so we should have the car rolling again next weekend...

As you have probably gathered if you've been following this thread I don't mind buying a few parts . In fact I quite enjoy trying to track things down or get a bargain, it's all a bit of a challenge. I'm not saying too much until it's in my hands but I have one of my all time holy grail parts on it way to me from overseas. In well over 5 years of hunting it was the first time I had seen it for sale so had to snap it up. Don't want to jinx myself so pics will be up once its in my grubby mitts...

Anyway for the time being here's a few more mundane bits I have picked up recently. It seems things like genuine Purflux filters are getting much harder to find so I grabbed one as a spare as it was pretty cheap. I must admit if I was starting my resto from scratch today I would probably be going down a different path to OE+, or whatever you want to class it as, because lots of new original parts are getting so hard to come by.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Pearl white rear beam, that's something I've never seen, love it.

Post Thanks / Like

i'll second that, the beam looks sweet. this is going to be nice...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, as a matter of interest mine has the only white subframe I have seen

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that Hoolio on the bay pic you sent me. Can't work that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get the windscreen surround from?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    Nice, as a matter of interest mine has the only white subframe I have seen
    I would have thought from the factory they would have all been black. Resprayed by a previous owner perhaps ?.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispraider View Post
    Where did you get the windscreen surround from?
    I got the surround from GT Turbo Spares about a year back. Try contacting Mike and see if he still has them.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ninebar View Post
    i'll second that, the beam looks sweet. this is going to be nice...
    Thanks for the kind comments gents

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    I would have thought from the factory they would have all been black. Resprayed by a previous owner perhaps ?.
    Maybe, but it doesn't look like it and also all the previous owners have gone to so much trouble to keep it mint and oe I can't understand why that would happen. Ah well.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Renault did supply subframes in an off white colour at build when models were new. My old 21 Bob had a subframe in this colour that was an F registration. However why the majority were black I don't know.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

In a recent post I mentioned that I had managed to track down one of my all time holy grail parts that I never thought I would find for my build....

So I was a bit excited when I picked this up today from the post office. A NOS steering wheel, boss and centre bung

I still have some more rare parts on my wish list but it just goes to show you never know what people have tucked away
    Likes Keef layton liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find, at least you are still spending money on parts. Makes me feel a bit better

Post Thanks / Like

good find on that steering wheel, they look good new!

Post Thanks / Like

What does NOS mean? New old stock?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    What does NOS mean? New old stock?

Post Thanks / Like

How the hell is my pearl White restoration ever gonna compare to this 😭

Post Thanks / Like

top work

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much of an update. Still no car back

Picked up some bolts from Mike to refit the rear beam and shocks. Still waiting for a few more as may as well replace them all. Also managed to get a genuine Renault air filter for my parts stash. I should have enough spares to last me a good few years once the car is finally finished.

I mentioned previously about trying to get a large piece of sound deadening for the boot. After purchasing some from eBay that arrived with numerous cracks these guys came up trumps -http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk . Admitedly it cost more but I now have a good single piece to redo the boot with. Once painted I don't think you will be able to tell it's not OE, I quite like the diamond pattern looks Renault'esqe.

Next weekend should hopefully be seeing the car stone chipped, anyone care to guess what colour I may go for .

I'm also waiting for some more engine parts to arrive as I hope to have that rebuilt over the winter and fitted next spring.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispraider View Post
    How the hell is my pearl White restoration ever gonna compare to this 😭
    It's not a competition dude. The two main things in my opinion are,

1) Build the car YOU want.
    2) Then use the damn thing, too many people seem to spend an age restoring them and then they appear for sale shortly after.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ages back I mentioned I was polishing up a Devil strut brace. As polishing must be the most boring job known to man I kind of put that on hold until I could be bothered to get back on it. I spent another hour today and now have one fixing nearly complete. Hopefully you can see the comparison between the two in the picture. The brace was in quite poor condition as you would expect from something 20+ years old but its come up OK.

Anyone know if Devils were highly polished when new ?. All the ones I have ever seen are quite a dull finish but that could just be through age.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some small progress but at least its moving forwards.

Started getting the underside ready for stonechip/underseal. Here's some in progress pics of removing the old protection that was fitted. What a dirty horrible, and boring, job.

Also my new cylinder head arrived this week from Bob. By the time I had the old head cleaned, checked, helicoiled etc this probably didn't work out too much more expensive. Plus I now have a spare set of new valves that I was originally going to use.

Out of interest has anyone tried these rods ?. Just wondering if I am better to replace or reuse my old standard ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Renaul...item4ad74703a7

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small bit of progress. The underside of the car has now been seam sealed ready for stone chip to be applied and then paint. Sorry no pics didn't have my phone with me.

Also picked up a few new parts. A gearstick rebuild kit and a spare wiper intermittent relay. Looking on the web these relays are no longer available and were big bucks when you could last get hold of them so I picked it up as a spare. I think I also have the rebuild kit for the bottom half of the gear knob assembly somewhere so all in all it should hopefully feel like new.

Also picked up a spare GT Tuning dump valve, yeah I know ... Still looks to be in better condition than my original so will polish it up and see how it is. Only cost £12 so is worth a go.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff going on here

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work fella

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was off work today so popped into the bodyshop. Apparently the car is being stonechipped tonight and then the underside painted tomorrow. I am going back on Monday to hopefully fit the rear beam and get it back to a rolling chassis. I will get some pics up if it happens.

Picked up some mundane bits this week. Mike sorted me out with a couple more genuine oil filters, you can never have too many

I was surprised to find the radiator / top hose clip was still available from Renault. Don't recall my car ever having one fitted so I grabbed one. Judging by the old packaging this has been in stock some time.