Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project Old5kool

Looks like it all coming together nicely

Re cam/turbo choice. A T25 and 285 cam would be a wise choise although I wouldn't really want anything bigger for fast road use. What turbo do you currently have? A standard T2 @ 15psi with the TDC wires reversed makes for an excellent fast road car

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much progress this week

Pretty sure a T25 and 285 cam is going to be the way I go so just need to get the parts for that. I also dropped some more parts off to be powder coated and passivated so will get some pictures up once done.

A couple more goodies this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the matching boost gauge!
    How much was it mate please?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jonny. Boost gauge was about £130. Unfortunately Scoff didn't have them in stock at the time so had to get it from ebay although would have rather got if from EFI Parts. It's your fault by the way I had to have matching gauges. After getting one of your excellent double gauge pods it just didn't seem right not having matching gauges

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small update. The old petrol tank heat shield was rather tatty, as are most I suspect. So I had it blasted and passivated and also fitted new some new edging,

before

and after,

It's not perfect so I will keep my eyes open for a NOS one but it certainly looks a lot better

I also got my spare wheel cage back. I dont have a before picture but it was pretty scabby. It has been blasted and powder coated and now looks like new

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really good Mark. Where did you get the trim from for the tank shield?

Also how are you planning on re-attaching it to the tank?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Simon, Trim was from these guys - http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ but you can also get it from places like Car Builder Solutions.

As for refitting the shield to the tank that's a good question. The original fixings were knackered so I need to see if they are still available once I work out what they actually are. Plan B is to use nuts and bolts with washers either side but not tightening too much as to damage the tank. Whilst the tank is off I am also going to araldite the yellow bung. It didn't leak before but best to future proof it now whilst it's easy .

Post Thanks / Like

Got tons of that trim at work pm me your Addy sort postage and is will send you some foc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    As for refitting the shield to the tank that's a good question. The original fixings were knackered so I need to see if they are still available once I work out what they actually are. Plan B is to use nuts and bolts with washers either side but not tightening too much as to damage the tank.
    I used small nuts and bolts with washers works perfectly
    Originally was riveted on i believe?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I've since used nuts and bolts. Very hard to get the old rivets out while the tank is on the car. I will be removing mine and getting it blasted.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Went over to the bodyshop today and still no more work has been done on my car. Have told them I want it done by March as I will have a double garage from then onwards so wont need to leave it outside whilst it is reassembled.

I have picked up a few more bits for the build... I already had a green box clutch but thought it wouldnt hurt to have another as a spare. I hate having to rush around trying to find spares at the weekend when I need to fix something. It normally takes longer than the job itself or your realize you need something just as the shops have closed..

What is the general consensus with the cork sump gaskets. Should I use some sealant with it as well ?.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more new parts in preparation for starting the rebuild in the next couple of months, well hopefully. Also thanks to Mike for sorting me out an exhaust today, all round top bloke

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned in my last post Mike had sorted me out an exhaust. Picture below for reference before I start polishing it, yes I am that sad !. We think it may be a powerflow ? but if anyone knows otherwise let me know. Hopefully being a 2 1/4" bore it should fit onto my 2.5" downpipe nicely.

I was bored this afternoon so started having a play with my double gauge pod and gauges. After a bit of fettling I manage to get them both test fitted and secured. Now just to get it painted.

Picked up a few new parts this week but nothing exciting. Mainly just spares to keep me going for years to come

I also went over to the bodyshop and they tell me we are still on track to get the car back next month. I hope so I cant wait to start putting it all back together.

Post Thanks / Like

i love the matching AEM gauges.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more bits this week

Water pump was a bargain for £11 delivered from ebay so bought as a spare as I already have a new complete pump. I also picked up a new petrol cap and a life time supply of sump washers plus a spare head gasket set just in case its ever needed. All were cheap but help to ensure I have enough spares to keep the car going for years to come.

As the original heater fan has a tenancy to squeak I thought I would treat my ears to a new one.

I have made a start cleaning up one section of the exhaust as a test. I will try and get a progress pic up later today if I get some more time to spend cleaning it up. Like most polishing tasks its not going to be a quick job but hopefully will look good once done even though you will never see it when fitted. Still it will make the MOT man smile once a year that someone was sad enough to polish their full exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

A few more bits this week

Water pump was a bargain for £11 delivered from ebay so bought as a spare as I already have a new complete pump. I also picked up a new petrol cap and a life time supply of sump washers plus a spare head gasket set just in case its ever needed. All were cheap but help to ensure I have enough spares to keep the car going for years to come.

As the original heater fan has a tenancy to squeak I thought I would treat my ears to a new one.

I have made a start cleaning up one section of the exhaust as a test. I will try and get a progress pic up later today if I get some more time to spend cleaning it up. Like most polishing tasks its not going to be a quick job but hopefully will look good once done even though you will never see it when fitted. Still it will make the MOT man smile once a year that someone was sad enough to polish their full exhaust.
    Where did you get new heater fan mate? CGB?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, Euro Car Parts. Just need to dig out my old fan to ensure it's exactly the same.

Bugger, just seen they have a promotion on, so it's now cheaper than I paid earlier this week.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more bits and bobs this week. The two large boxes are the interior seals for the front windows. Renault tell me the O/S is no longer available but I managed to track one down in Italy. I would not have bothered with these but as all the other window seals will be new I thought I might as well do these too. There is also new clips to go one the refurbished rear beam which is hopefully getting painted next weekend. The original clips seemed a bit brittle so it made sense to replace as they only cost a few quid.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I managed to get a rare couple of hours in on the car this morning. Nothing major done but the subframe and anti roll bar have now been cleaned and dropped off with the media blasters. Below is a pic of how it currently looks. It doesn't look that bad from this picture but there is a small amount of rust and the other side is pretty ropey from years of catching on curbs when parking. I was surprised to find that both arms appear to be original as they had a 1989 date code. I certainly don't recall ever replacing them so hope the new ones will last just as long.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark

Good work. Makes a huge difference. Any movement down at the bodyshop?

Mine is getting picked up on Wednesday. Lets hope I don't overtake you....

Si

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Si, I think there is a very good chance yours will be done before mine. Still I do seem to be making some progress.

I got the subframe and anti roll bar back from media blasting today. Very happy with the results and I think it was worth doing to ensure we get a good finish.

The old bolts holding the arms on had welded themselves to the bushings so we managed to cut those out, thank goodness for air tools.

Few more bits and bobs this week as well..

I now have new rev counter/boost and oil pressure/level gauges. It would be great if I could get the others too so if anyone has any new gauges stashed away they want to sell then please do let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Was that rev counter off eBay? I saw one up for grabs the other week.

Sub frame looks great.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Goobie. Yes it was the rev counter from ebay. I did find a new speedo a while back but it was km/h and over 500 euro's

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

We are getting closer. The body shop now has the paint for my car so we should have some pictures of painted parts next weekend . They are going to paint some of the smaller items first so we can check the colour match before doing the shell.

A few more odds and sods this week but nothing exciting.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I managed to make some progress on the subframe this morning. In the previous posts you can see what it looked like before and after media blasting.

First of all the subframe had been primed and a guide coat put over the top. I then set about rubbing it back to get as good a finish as possible. My philosophy is simple, the underneath of the car should look as good as the top.

Here is a picture of it rubbed down ready for paint.

Then it was time to get spraying, not by me as I wanted a good job so left it to the professionals. First up was the base coats.

This was followed by the Pearl coats and then lacquer.

And here you have a finished subframe in Renault Pearl White.

The pictures don't really do it justice, crappy camera phone, but you get the idea.

Still got the arb, suspension arms and assorted brackets to paint and then the subframe can all be reassembled

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that is dedication guide coating and flatting your subframe and your a brave man painting it white . Can't wait fir all the chrome to make an appearance.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more new parts. I noticed when stripping the rear beam that the original plastic disc protectors had cracked around the bolts holes. Rather than putting those back on I thought I would get some new ones. From speaking to Mike it seems that Renault have changed the original plastic ones to a replacement metal disc protector which Mike was able to supply. These are the last set so I am told so yet another part that is now nla. Being metal these are ripe for some colour coding, no prizes for guessing what colour !. The TDC sensor was only a fiver from ebay so a useful spare to have for the future. I now have some nuts and bolts etc on order so next week should see the freshly repainted subframe put back together.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Mark! Get some card and draw around them! Then u could maybe replicate them

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Can't believe how much progress has been made in a matter of weeks. Looking really good.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately not going to have the subframe finished this week as still waiting for a few bolts etc.. I did manage to dig out some of the new parts needed from my parts stash so hopefully I can build it up over the bank holiday.

Does anyone happen to know the size of the bolts that hold the arb brackets to the suspension arms ?. For some reason Renault cant supply them to me. Also are they 8.8 or 10.9 ?.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Nice Mark! Get some card and draw around them! Then u could maybe replicate them
    Will do.. I was thinking carbon ones would be cool if someone was to make these. No real benefit over the original plastics ones but they would look pretty cool

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mingblus3 View Post
    Hi Mark,

Can't believe how much progress has been made in a matter of weeks. Looking really good.
    Cheers Si. How's your car coming along ?.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got quite a bit done at this end, parts wise I'm done. Car is not back yet but basically arranging everything so that its a bolt on job when it returns.

Ordered my final bits this week from Renault, also got the wheels being refurbished and purchased the uniroyals.

Was thinking about updating my thread but it would take so long to bring it up to date.

Love the collection of new parts for the front sub frame. I'll PM you a link to the work being done on the 5.

Si

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Still havent got all the new fixing for the subframe so cant build it up just yet. Slowly getting there however.

I also managed to pick up some of the original platinum evx plugs for a good price so will add those to the spare parts shelf.

If the weather is as predicted for tomorrow I should get some time to do polishing of parts. Expect some pics of shiny bits tomorrow evening.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Expect some pics of shiny bits tomorrow evening.
    me like shiney things

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracked on with some polishing jobs this morning. It must be the most boring task ever !. Still I think it's worth the effort in the long run. Rear strut brace and one section of the exhaust is now done. Further up this thread you can see what the exhaust looked like before. It wasn't bad but I knew it could be better

After polishing the brace it would have been a sin not to use new nuts, washers and bolts.

I might carry on with the rest of the exhaust this afternoon, 3 sections left to do. No matter how though there seems to be no quick solution with polishing stuff. So far I have found the best method is to use a scotch pad, or wet & dry for any major marks. Follow this by a machine polish and then finish it off by hand used Autosol or Peek.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dropped some more bits off at the bodyshop today for painting. I managed to get a better pic of the subframe. Looks really good although it's hard to get a decent picture under the florescent lighting.

I am going to try and see if we can get some more of the parts painted tomorrow and will upload pics once done.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Car is getting closer. New wings and bonnet have been trial fitted. Just the door skins and new windscreen panel to fit. Few more bits of welding and then it's more or less ready for paint and to go back in my garage for reassembly.

I also got some new parts prepared for paint. Here's the before pictures, after pictures to follow.

Getting excited now as hopefully it wont be long before it's back

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Went over to do some work on the car this morning. We were going to get both the door skins fitted. Upon removing the first door skin we found some rot at the bottom of the door. Pointless fitting the skin without that first being cut out and replaced so that stopped play for today. I was quite surprised how easy it was though to remove the old door skin though.

Also been playing with a few bits recently. I have a new copper core rad but thought I would give one of those ebay special alloy rads a go. All built up with new fan motor, fixings and a refurbed bracket. Just got to get to the box where the new fan blade is hiding and then that's ready to bolt back on.

I know people have asked about these before, I think it was around the time of the Koni group buy, but I have found some new shock absorber gaitors and bump stops. Once I confirm these fit I will post up the part details.

Speaking of Koni's I also picked these up for a song.. I have a full set of OE Renault shocks but now playing with the idea of getting some Koni fronts and going for those instead. If anyone has a new pair of front Koni's for a phase 2 they want to sell let me know

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

This build is superb great attention to detail!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic.

Doesn't the club stock Konis?.... Just checked. There is one set in stock but I think it's all four shocks not just the fronts.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments guys.

I saw the Koni's in the club shop Trev but only really need the fronts. However if I go the Koni route I may just buy a full set as it's probably cheaper than buying just the fronts elsewhere. At the moment I have 3 new pairs of rears shocks, Koni, DeCarbon and KYB so really need to decide which to use and sell the others on.

Was just having a tidy in the garage and found some more bits .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested I fitted one of the shock gaiters this evening. Fit seems good although the bump stop is slightly longer than OE. Perhaps the OE has compressed or shrunk slightly over the years ?. Anyway here's the pictures of one fitted and the part number if anyone wants it. Old gaiter is on the left for reference. I had cut the old one down as the bottom was perished so cant really tell how much longer the new one is.

Post Thanks / Like

where did you get the driver inner window seal? i'm looking for one!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robx1r View Post
    where did you get the driver inner window seal? i'm looking for one!
    Pretty sure it was from the main dealers.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I still haven't found the rad fan blade but I did find a bit of bling

Looking at the postage date on the GTT rad cover it's 2007 so that gives an idea of how long I have been collecting parts from this project. Think I may give the ends of the rad a polish as the current finish is quite dull.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it was from the main dealers.
    really when? could you see if they have one more?

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested I fitted one of the shock gaiters this evening. Fit seems good although the bump stop is slightly longer than OE. Perhaps the OE has compressed or shrunk slightly over the years ?. Anyway here's the pictures of one fitted and the part number if anyone wants it. Old gaiter is on the left for reference. I had cut the old one down as the bottom was perished so cant really tell how much longer the new one is.

Where did you get the shock gaitors from please? I took my struts off this weekend and they are both split!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Strangely enough the cheapest place I found was Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monroe-PK033.../dp/B00AJVKF64

Although not specifically listed for the GT Turbo the part number seems to cross over to the Renault number.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robx1r View Post
    really when? could you see if they have one more?
    Rob, Sorry my mistake. Just looked again and the drivers side I managed to get from eBay Italy. It was the n/s one I got from the main dealers.