Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project Old5kool

wow good collection of parts. LIKE

door skin was a bargain, good find. Iv seen my mate at a bodyshop fit 1, made it look easy. Obviously for him anyway

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Lewis - Could they be uploaded to Photobucket or Youtube etc ?.
    Just uploaded to Youtube.

Links: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got these delivered this week. 10 quid bin from ebay which seemed too good to pass up. Have done a quick polish with autosol but will do it again on the polishing wheel before I fit them. The amount of parts I need to polish is quickly mounting up.

Post Thanks / Like

covers for the back of the headlights?

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    covers for the back of the headlights?
    strut tops tone.......

Post Thanks / Like

rare they are

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    strut tops tone.......
    lovely

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while since I last updated this thread. Bad news is still no car back from the bodyshop. Lesson learnt, don't get a mate to do the work for you !. Still I'm in no real rush as I am collecting yet more parts and looking to move house in the summer which should give me much more room to get this all bolted back together. Good news is I now have a rebuilt gearbox back from Colin. All bearings are new and Col used the gears out of three boxes to give me the best condition ones. Hopefully that should now give another 20 years of service without issues. I will give it another paint and get the chrome bits bolted on and post up some pics of the finished article.

As I said in a previous post it's all starting to get a bit OCD. I have a new center console, gear knob and nos red carpet and was thinking it would be a shame to put some second hand switches for the windows and c/locking back in, yes it really is getting that sad . So after some searching I found new switches in Germany and Spain. Next up was a new handbrake lever which I managed to find in France. I could have painted my old one but I never thought I would be able to get it factory fresh and it actually wasn't that expensive. I also found a new front wiper motor, pretty random thing to change but it was cheap and should be yet again one less part to fail in the future.

Fingers crossed we may have some pictures of a newly restored Pearl white shell in the near future... but don't hold your breath...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Still no car back to start bolting all the new bits onto so I started a few little jobs today in preparation of it's return. I got a Devil strut brace some time back off ebay but it had numerous scratches and marks as you would expect from a 20+ year old used item. Not content with how that would look against everything else in the engine bay I got out the wet and dry and started the rather boring task of getting rid of all the damage using increasing fine grades of paper. Certainly not the quickest job in the world but should look spot on once done and polished. I will get some before and after pics up once I have finished one of the pieces.

Before Christmas I managed to pick up a pair of front mats for £25 delivered which I thought was a bargain. I also had four of the rear mats from my old Campus which I have been using in the Scenic up until now. I gave them a clean up today using shampoo and Autoglym vinyl and rubber care. A bit of elbow grease and scrubbing with a toothbrush and they have come up pretty good. The rear mat at the bottom of the picture hadn't been done to show the comparison. I found the Autoglym cleaner made the mats pretty slippery so after leaving it to soak in for a few minutes I washed off the residue and they seem pretty good now .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

This weeks collection of new parts The nos heater controls were a nice find.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

mmmmmoooooorrrrreeeeeeee goodies

Post Thanks / Like

Nice collection of parts you are getting together

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping to get the suspension off the car today and rebuilt with all new parts however it looks like other chores are going to put an end to that and it's only 10am . Still I managed to pick up a few more bits this week.

I already have a set of Lucas branded lights but as I have read comments about some headlights fitting better than others I thought I would hedge my bets and buy these too.

If the weather is nice at the weekend I plan to get the gearbox finished off in between some other jobs. Will post a pic of that as I am hoping it will look pretty good when its painted up again.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Wow that's a lot of new parts you have there

good fun seeing it all spread out through the house

what is you estimated finishing date for the car

Post Thanks / Like

Love fresh o.e parts

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jankees View Post
    New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Wow that's a lot of new parts you have there

good fun seeing it all spread out through the house

what is you estimated finishing date for the car
    Yeah I do have a couple of new parts . Just started making a spreadsheet of everything I have new as I forget and keep buying doubles . It also doesn't help that I don't have the parts at my house so cant quickly go and check what I have. I think it will be in the region of 1500 - 2000 brand new individual parts once I add it all up, hope the wife doesn't see that . I will post up the spreadsheet once done. Despite being an old git my 5 was made before I could legally drive so really want it to be as near to new as possible as that's the closest I will ever get to a brand new 5.

Original plan was to get it finished for ND this year. However I still don't have the shell back and work is looking stacked until Sept so realistically it will be next year now. I do miss a good blast it in though, it must be getting on for 6 years since I last drove it or went in a GTT for that matter. Still the grin I get when I first drive it and it comes on boost should be priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

come along with someone to national day and your more than welcome to come for some passenger laps with me ill be out there most of the day

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer Tony, I may well take you up on that if family commitments allow me to get to ND this year

Post Thanks / Like

nice collection of parts it should be absolutely mint when done

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer Tony, I may well take you up on that if family commitments allow me to get to ND this year

Np

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Still no car back but I have been busy. Managed to get over to my folks house and inventory all the new parts I have collected over the years. As suspected in some cases I have bought more than one of things due to forgetting what I already had. Once the car is done any left over parts will be offered on here to members.

If anyone is interested take a look at the New Parts PDF here for the inventory, sorry about the blank pages not sure why that happened (and I'm too lazy to fix it)

https://www.rtoc.org/files/index.php?...ct%20Old5kool/

This list is all the brand new parts (chrome parts are refurb'd in fairness) I have to fit when I finally get a car back. I thought I'd better make note of locations of where things are stored as I don't want to search through all the boxes again just to find something.

Note to anyone just starting a project. Document all your parts now, this lot took bloody hours to do...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small update. Yet again still no progress at the body shop although they tell me it will be done soon. Not holding my breath on that one.

After repainting the gearbox it became fairly obvious the paint I used was going to be a nightmare. It was a slightly textured matt finish and any dirt or grease simply could not be removed. So I have now started to repaint it again but with a white engine enamel this time which should allow me to wipe any dirt and grime off.

I have also been rebuilding my new carb with chrome brackets. Just one more screw to get out and then I will post up some pics hopefully tomorrow.

Been fairly quite on the new parts front lately but I did pick up this nos header tank recently.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Old vs New carb. Chrome brackets and linkages fitted although I am keeping the originals in case I ever want to put it back to standard. Not sure about using alloy bolts to hold the carb top in place so they may well get replaced at a later date.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to the body shop today and was pleased to see work has started again. Subframe and rear beam are now off ready for cleaning and painting. The rear beam bushings have seen better days so a quick call to Mike and I should be getting some new rear arms.

Quick pic of the beam after starting to remove years of dirt.

This afternoon I finished off refurbing the inlet manifold. Originally I was going to polish the manifold however as you barely see it once fitted I thought my time will be better spent elsewhere. Therefore I painted it using some aluminum enamel vht paint and fitted chrome brackets, stainless bolts and new hose tails. I have a spare manifold so you never know maybe a job in the future to polish that one.

Then I fitted the new carb. Decided not to go with the alloy bolts to hold the carb top / lobster on so got some drilled titanium instead. Arguably a bit extravagant but as they are so visible I felt it justified the expense .

Also got my old front shocks dismantled. Will drop the springs off to the powder coaters this week then get the shocks built back up ready to refit.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow the car is going to be mint mate love all the new bits :

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Made a start on my front struts. First job was to hunt out the relevant new parts.

I then set about refurbishing the top mounts. I removed all the old rust and dirt then primed and painted. Still go the other side to finish.

Old vs new struts for comparison.

Originally I was just going to get my oe springs re-powder coated as I didn't want to lower it. However the springs look in quite poor condition, not surprising really considering their age and the mileage. As the rear beam is being rebuilt I am in two minds now weather to lower it a little. Anyone got recommendations for lowering springs that only give a marginal drop, ideally 10 - 20mm.

Job for later today is try and hunt out some new shock boots/gaiters as mine have disintegrated and Renault tell me the part number is not valid. I am sure there must be something universal out there that will fit. Failing that the Mk1 Clio boots on Dialogys look remarkably similar, anyone had experience of trying to fit these ?.

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely job.

Can't beat the look of new or as new parts.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got my new springs this morning so decided to get the front struts finished off. Still trying to decide if I should go for Koni shocks instead but for the time being these should be OK. I still need to cut the mounting bolts down but will do that once I trial fit on the car with the strut brace.

Post Thanks / Like

How did u find hose o.e parts I want them all lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It always amazes me the random parts that crop up on ebay. Picked this up recently for a good price, a brand new fuse box surround. Got loads of time on my hands from the end of the month for the first time in years so going to get myself down the body shop and get the shell sorted. Then the fun can begin with bolting bits back on

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had some time earlier today so I went down the bodyshop to do a bit on the 5. The old sound deading in the boot was rather past its best so I set about removing it with a heat gun and scraper.

Before,

and after about an hours heating and scraping it ended up like this,

I found a small hole in the boot floor so that will be getting addressed.

I also took my old steel spare wheel down to the blasters to be cleaned and powder coated. Will post up some pics when I get that back next week and new tire fitted. I have quite a bit of time at the moment so am hoping to make some rapid progress. Look out for more regular updates .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple of hours today after dad duties so carried on polishing my strut brace. What a chore and probably a good few more hours left in this until I get a finish I am happy with.

Still I did polish these bits today as I was getting bored with the brace. They turned out pretty good and are now ready to chuck back on.

I ordered some replacement sound deadening today so plan is to get back to the body shop tomorrow afternoon and remove the old sound deadening from around the front seat area on the floor pan. Assuming the floor is sound I will prime it and renew with new sound deadening on Tuesday. My goal is to have the shell finished and painted in the next two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow wow wow another epic amazing build resto great work

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I removed the sound deadening from the front of the car today. Pleased to report no more rust was found so I will now set about prepping the interior for paint

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from Mike's (GT Turbo Spares) and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of parts tucked away in his Aladdin's cave. As always Mike has sorted me out with more parts. Picked up a new pair of rear suspension arms at a great price as they have slight surface rust. As there are going to be repainted anyway this worked out perfectly. Now just got to get them fitted to my beam.

Post Thanks / Like

Inbox is full

Post Thanks / Like

I dream of a Christmas morning like that.. A front room FULL of new parts or polished bits

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

After much searching today I finally managed to pick up some new rear quarter and tailgate glass. Been searching all over and in the end managed to get them from a company about 20 minutes from my house, typical really. Now just to sort out some new door glass..

Off to pick up my spare wheel in a bit from the powder coaters. I will get the tyre fitted and post up a new vs old pic. I have done a few bits on the car this week but also spent quite a lot of time running around picking up and dropping off parts. Hopefully some progress pics next week.

Post Thanks / Like

How much was the new windows buddy?

Post Thanks / Like

Does the new glass have the correct tint out of curiosity?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Goobie - That lot was just over £240 but I think it was the last they had as not much call for R5 glass any more.

Mingblus3 - Tint looks OK but need to go get my old windows to compare. Will do that when it stops raining and let you know.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got my spare wheel back from the powder coaters. Looks OK but the tyre fitter managed to take a chip out of the back. Still not going to worry about it

Before,

and After.

The Continental tyre despite being brand new is pretty old as I have had it stored away for years. As it's only the spare wheel it should be cool. I have some Uniroyals to use on the car and may change the Conti at some stage to something newer. Sadly the MXV was knackered so has been binned.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

New glass is impressive

How much did you get charged for the power coating of the spare mate?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Liam. For blasting the wheel and powder coating it should have been £45. However when I picked it up there was a mark in the coating around the center of the rim but you cant see it when the tyre is fitted anyway. The bloke said he wasn't happy because of this mark so call it £25. Result in my opinion as personally I wasn't bothered.

Post Thanks / Like

that's some top work mate

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Liam. For blasting the wheel and powder coating it should have been £45. However when I picked it up there was a mark in the coating around the center of the rim but you cant see it when the tyre is fitted anyway. The bloke said he wasn't happy because of this mark so call it £25. Result in my opinion as personally I wasn't bothered.
    That was a right result then. I like how the spare looks. Another thing to add to my list of to do!

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was bored so thought I would spray the covers that go over the rear wheel bearings. Originally I was going to spray them gold but then found I had some other colours in the garage.

Tricolore anyone ?. Not sure I like them so they may end up gold yet. The sad thing is you dont see them anyway and yet I'm spending time deliberating the colour....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would have a go at transplanting my old club sticker to the new tailgate glass. Didn't expect it to work but it turned out pretty good. Fair enough it's not what the club is now but all part of the heritage.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been fairly quite this week as I have been hunting for a new job. Looks like that is all sorted now so I can carry on with the 5

First of all thanks to Tony (Fishead) and Mike @ GT Turbo Spares for sourcing the new rear suspension arms and also fitting them for me. The rear beam is now back in the bodyshop for painting and fitting.

After looking at the screen surround the rot was repairable however as said before I only intend to ever do this once so a new surround was sourced and yet again Mike came up trumps. I have dropped this to the bodyshop and hope I can get them to get it fitted next week for me.

I also found some refurb front brake calipers pretty cheap on ebay. I did have a fairly good set but originally painted them red. To be honest the finish wasnt great and I now would rather have silver so decided to get new. If anyone has a new brake servo they want to sell then please let me know. It's pretty much the only part of the braking system that will not currently be replaced with new parts.

From speaking to Tony earlier this week he has put the idea into my head that maybe a 285 cam and T25 are the way to go. I don't want a drag car just a reliable fast road car. To be honest that's probably the way I will go but need to do some more research. Happy to hear people experience of running such a setup, I will be using standard internals.

I cant actually wait to drive the thing but it's probably going to be next year now before it's finished. Think I said that in 2012 as well