Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No freedom of speech?

So Glen comments about ND and the thread gets locked as it's negative! Sound like bull**** to me....
    A 'negative' thread isn't allowed, WTF is that all about????

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No freedom of speech?

I'm sure constructive criticism is more than welcome but when people like Steve & Dawn have gone to so much trouble and worked so hard to make the event happen, and then someone starts a thread titled like that just because he didn't win an award or agreed with the results it's kind of a kick in the gonads!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warpspeed View Post
    So Glen comments about ND and the thread gets locked as it's negative! Sound like bull**** to me....
    A 'negative' thread isn't allowed, WTF is that all about????
    Sounds like the ushall RTOC way.
    In all fairness i have always found the show and shine to be a joke at the national day.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the awards at end of the day are intended as a bit of fun and not to be taken too seriously. I mean, it's only a little trophy you get - you don't get your mortgage paid off!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on lads lets not make this into something,its National day chatting,few beers and the Renaults thats it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bod 182 View Post
    Come on lads lets not make this into something,its National day chatting,few beers and the Renaults thats it
    It was my first and that Was the impression I got I personally thought it was great..

Track and marshals were great and well maintained

Toilets were clean and close and usable

Food was available if needed

And the price was very reasonable for the amount you got I thought it was spot on..

Great 5s great clios renaults evos kit cars what more could you ask for for £10
    Just mop..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I think the awards at end of the day are intended as a bit of fun and not to be taken too seriously. I mean, it's only a little trophy you get - you don't get your mortgage paid off!

Very true, but there are members within the club who like the show and shine side of car ownership and take it quite seriously and maybe they feel they did not get their moneys worth from the event.
    As regaurds to the little trophy comment that shows the club had little or no interest in provding for all members at the national track day

Post Thanks / Like

It was my first as well couldn't bring the gordini but still had fun chatting to everyone hope to see you at frogof the pod..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 005 View Post

Very true, but there are members within the club who like the show and shine side of car ownership and take it quite seriously and maybe they feel they did not get their moneys worth from the event.
    As regaurds to the little trophy comment that shows the club had little or no interest in provding for all members at the national track day
    Well obviously! Perhaps next year things could be done differently with regard to the voting. I.e maybe have voting slips that members can use instead? But really to say members didn't get their money's worth is crazy - how much were the tickets? £10? We had sun, beer, BBQ and a load of Renault turbos, what more could you ask for?

Don't forget those trophys cost money and having booked the venue there probably wasn't a lot left.....

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

im hoping for next years event to have a few of the detailing firms along, so maybe have them guys to judge it? but i also like the idea of the voting slips alex

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Simple answer to all these judges problem, dont have trophies, just show your car and have people appreciate them, don't need prizes etc.

ND should be about meeting members and having.... The French guys meet at a Renault dealership, go and have lunch in a village hall, small convoy groups go for a droive in the afternoon, meet back at the Renault dealership late afternoon and have a BBQ social chat etc & I have to say what a cracking day it is!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 005 View Post
    Sounds like the ushall RTOC way.
    In all fairness i have always found the show and shine to be a joke at the national day.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure constructive criticism is more than welcome but when people like Steve & Dawn have gone to so much trouble and worked so hard to make the event happen, and then someone starts a thread titled like that just because he didn't win an award or agreed with the results it's kind of a kick in the gonads!
    No it's not and a thread titled disappointed is so bad think about it
    Last edited by Hi 5; 29-07-2012 at 16:20.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon you'll find it is if you try I'm glad you agree with me about thread title.....

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon you'll find it is if you try I'm glad you agree with me about thread title.....
    There was 4 car that could have won best paint and not one of them did and you miss understand me about the title I think it was right as I was disappointed In the judging not in the event

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to read bits of this on the way home on my phone, in between losing my signal every 30 seconds, back home now though (after 5 hours, grrr)

Of course we'll take the comments on board but the first thing I'd like to point out is that this is actually the first year that the committee HAVEN'T had anything to do with the judging so it's already "been taken away from the committee" as it was requested previously. Steve picked up the results about 10 minutes before the AGM and I personally found out at the same time as you guys We haven't done this before and now see that much more organisation can go into this for next year.

I just don't understand the level this has got to, none of it is personal I'm sure and honestly after being able to grab a couple of mins in between "duties" I think that everyone who did win an award well deserved it - it seems very strange that some are so upset when everyone else who entered was fine with it.

However (and it's a big however), as it seems that some people do take the Show and Shine particularly seriously, I'll be taking it back to the committee that perhaps we should make a bigger deal of it next year, rather than being the "fun add-on" that it has been seen as over recent years. There is plenty of structure that we can add to this and pretty much totally overhaul it if it's required (times do change afterall). It's not a concourse show and we need to also remember that this is our great little club that we've made some absolutely amazing friends on and not one huge big competition against each other.

This was Steve and I's first attempt at running the weekend and wow it was stressful, I didn't realise how hard it would be. I do want to definitely take these comments on board but when you receive PM's, emails and comments this morning at the track about how personal it got against Jonny5 you need to realise the last thread was locked for a reason, I imagine whoever locked it also received the same complaints about it (from people I don't even think Jonny knows/is connected with also).

Perhaps next year we'll use the suggestions above, either give everyone a slip that they can vote on or ask one of the detailing companies that we invite along to do that side of things for us - it'll be completely impartial then, what does everyone think?

Everyone loved all the cars and was great to meet you Glenn, I just can't believe that I hadn't before throughout all these years! I just hope you don't feel that you need a special accolade to congratulate you on what you and everyone else already knows is awesome- even people outside the club know and love it from being in national publications - you've had waaaaaaay more admiration than anyone else I think pretty much ever and it's well deserved.

We really do appreciate the comments and I'd like to try and wind this down now before it gets really silly - I want to take comments like this, work on them and turn them into positives for 2013. James Surridge (along with many many others) even approached me himself a couple of times with some really great comments about the weekend, which is always amazing to hear after all the hard work we've put in, so thanks for that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hi 5 View Post
    There was 4 car that could have won best paint and not one of them did and you miss understand me about the title I think it was right as I was disappointed In the judging not in the event
    I knew what you meant

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Dawn

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said Dawn.

I wasn't taking sides when I started the thread, I just didn't think it was fair for Glenn's thread to be locked as there weren't any personal insults being flung about, just opinions and I don't see that as justification for locking the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I just didn't think it was fair for Glenn's thread to be locked as there weren't any personal insults being flung about
    So slating my car about my wheel choice and bodywork isnt personal?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not personal.

Did he swear at you? call you names?

No, he commented on the quality of your car, he certainly didn't put it the right way, there's no doubt about that but he has every right to comment as do you.

Grow a thicker skin, take the comments on board and make your car better so there's no room for negative comments, simples!

Post Thanks / Like

take the comments on board and make your car better so there's no room for negative comments, simples!
    Fair point mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    So slating my car about my wheel choice and bodywork isnt personal?
    More to the point i think its a case of venting his feelings but hasn,t reaslised what has been said in the rant also bear in mind SORRY is a very hard word to say

Post Thanks / Like

More to the point i think its a case of venting his feelings but hasn,t reaslised what has been said in the rant also bear in mind SORRY is a very hard word to say
    Sorry has been said and accepted. Dont think there is anything more to be said.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not personal.

Did he swear at you? call you names?

No, he commented on the quality of your car, he certainly didn't put it the right way, there's no doubt about that but he has every right to comment as do you.

Grow a thicker skin, take the comments on board and make your car better so there's no room for negative comments, simples!
    Absolute cobblers. The car's being the root of personal pride here is exactly what the whole upset was based on. Glen felt personally upset that his car was overlooked, that's how this started in the first place. So are you saying he should also grow a thicker skin?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just lost for words on this whole show & shine negative feedback overshadowing what I was told by so many members was the best RTOC day for years??

I'd just like to point out that it was ME who locked the thread last night because I recieved a complaint and decided to act on it by locking the thread after opinions had been vented. I didn't delete the thread from the boards, just locked it to stop it getting out of control.

I personally feel that D4WN and I did a good job if we've pleased >90% of the members and only annoyed the 4/5 who have posted the negative comments. I'm not going to even try to please ALL of the people ALL of the time, just not possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Absolute cobblers. The car's being the root of personal pride here is exactly what the whole upset was based on. Glen felt personally upset that his car was overlooked, that's how this started in the first place. So are you saying he should also grow a thicker skin?
    Why don't you and glen judge the show and shine next year then??

Post Thanks / Like

Really sorry but I do not drink and haven't done for over 6 years

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hi 5 View Post
    Really sorry but I do not drink and haven't done for over 6 years
    Whats drink got to do with it???

Post Thanks / Like

We have and many show and shines in the past ,and I do think this year was not the best done ,Mallory park ,Santa pod ,bruntingthope were all very good show and shine and well judged this year think it got side tracked with all the other happings ,like dawn said it will be looked into more next year still a great weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Its all been sorted can we all just draw a line under it and look forwards rather than back.

Post Thanks / Like

Like saying, I like you but not your hair cut springs to mind! Lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post

Don't twist things to start an argument please....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    Its all been sorted can we all just draw a line under it and look forwards rather than back.
    Exactly the right attitude, fair play to you mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i spent the weekend doing DIY , i would have happily sat in a field no matter how many people were there and irrespective of any opinions or shiny cups.
    nearest i got to ND was a 2 minute conversation with the postman about how his mate had one and put it in a ditch

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Autosport View Post
    i spent the weekend doing DIY , i would have happily sat in a field no matter how many people were there and irrespective of any opinions or shiny cups.
    nearest i got to ND was a 2 minute conversation with the postman about how his mate had one and put it in a ditch
    I had that conversation nearly on Friday on way up, core plug went on the inlet manifold so was parked up on the A1, ambulance turned up saying there has been a call that a car is in the ditch and then found more details and it was blue and G reg, but they did say a fiesta but he said close enough as not seen any other car in that area. He then went on to telling me he has a Raider parked up in his garage for a couple of years and needing to find time sorting it out

Post Thanks / Like

Don't twist things to start an argument please....
    I believe you started this thread and you felt the need to tell Jonny what he should be doing. You started this particular argument and I have a valid point on what you said, there was no twisting. I don't mind if you don't want to respond to that.

Nick - I think you misunderstood. I was sticking up for Jonny because someone else came on here telling him how he should react to an insult. I don't give a monkeys about who won the comp or why.

Anyway, it appears to have been cleared up.

Post Thanks / Like

Committee Member James_Surridge G1 5 GTT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Has it? I still await my reply how my car scored against the rest of the competitors.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure in the past it was top 3 on all of the classes which was judged so more cars was mentioned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James_Surridge G1 5 GTT View Post
    Has it? I still await my reply how my car scored against the rest of the competitors.
    You didn't win a trophy in a friendly show and shine and you feel someone needs to explain why

Go enter a proper show and shine if you feel your car is concourse and show worthy. It was just a friendly day out with some light hearted trophys at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I am sure in the past it was top 3 on all of the classes which was judged so more cars was mentioned
    Very true...1st, 2nd and 3rd in Show

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    You didn't win a trophy in a friendly show and shine and you feel someone needs to explain why

Go enter a proper show and shine if you feel your car is concourse and show worthy. It was just a friendly day out with some light hearted trophys at the end.
    Saying that probably justifies not having a show and shine at all really......

Post Thanks / Like

This is the thread that really needs to be locked, it makes me cringe every time I see the title appear at the top of the pile both for the meaning of the title, what else is being able to contribute here and also because of some of the pettyness, plain embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Surridge G1 5 GTT View Post
    Saying that probably justifies not having a show and shine at all really......
    Not really, it's very nice to have a car appreciated by others but really is it all this important. There are always going to be nicer cars out there and if you can't lose with good grace it's probably best not to enter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    This is the thread that really needs to be locked, it makes me cringe every time I see the title appear at the top of the pile both for the meaning of the title, what else is being able to contribute here and also because of some of the pettyness, plain embarrassing.

Not really, it's very nice to have a car appreciated by others but really is it all this important. There are always going to be nicer cars out there and if you can't lose with good grace it's probably best not to enter.
    I couldnt agree more its pathetic i think the car that won is a really great car my opinion and obviously the opinion of the judges. need it be anymore in depth than that it was abit of fun a chance for people to show what they have been doing imagine you won and then a few people started a thread saying they thought your car didnt deserve to win i think it really is sad what an advert for the club members bitching about a club organised day that alot of people worked really hard at.

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned previously, it was just a bit of fun on a club day, and leaves a pretty bad taste to see the farcical negative vibes being posted, which don't really have any substance to them anyway.

Anyway, it's been done to death, and no doubt things will now change in the running of next year's S&S competition...if there is one

Thread locked.