Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluffy is getting on my tits

Just shortened my downpipe by an inch re-fitted and went out for a test drive over some speed humps - great - clears them no problem. Then she cuts out and won't start again FFS.

I think the ecu might be playing up, and as such I can't see how I'm going to get her to national day next week. I must be doing something wrong Last year I set off and broke down half way there and was rescued by JP.

Pissed off don't even come close.

JP's offered his ECU (adaptronic) to prove that it is the ecu which is great, but if it does need looking at, there is very little chance I can get it over to Scoff (if he can do anything with it????) and get it back on ol Fluff and get to the 10th year anniversary.

Anyone with any miracles - please step up now.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluffy is getting on my tits

its not common for the ecu's to be at fault, suppose you could try re flashing the map over, and trying the other ecu first to confirm it is that and if so a speedy parcel to scoff.
    anything knocked about while fitting the downpipe, earths etc?
    is the ecu secured properly? wondering if the speed humps are a pointer to something loose?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    its not common for the ecu's to be at fault, suppose you could try re flashing the map over, and trying the other ecu first to confirm it is that and if so a speedy parcel to scoff.
    anything knocked about while fitting the downpipe, earths etc?
    is the ecu secured properly? wondering if the speed humps are a pointer to something loose?
    Hi Haz - I know what you mean, I've not heard of an ECU going tits up at all, so I'm kind of open minded on this. I've tried loading an older version of my map, I'm waiting for Scoff to send me a copy of my ECU file so that I can have another go. I'll have a look tomorrow at cables etc, but tbh - there is very little going that way.

I await JP if he can help. I've got feelers out on Adaptronics forum as the ECU's led's are acting strange.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

well if scoff's on the case then nothing much i can offer lol. i'm led to beleive some things can upset the ecu like low battery turnin ecu off as it cranks, and in doin so is like turning a computer on, then off before it loads up, then again and again with each crank so can end up corrupting the file. obviously not the fault here but they can do strange things. i'm sure that the random led's can be a processor fault. have you the software to check that the ecu is still talking to the laptop while waiting on the file?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    well if scoff's on the case then nothing much i can offer lol. i'm led to beleive some things can upset the ecu like low battery turnin ecu off as it cranks, and in doin so is like turning a computer on, then off before it loads up, then again and again with each crank so can end up corrupting the file. obviously not the fault here but they can do strange things. i'm sure that the random led's can be a processor fault. have you the software to check that the ecu is still talking to the laptop while waiting on the file?
    Yup - it's talking alright, Ive been looking for all sorts through the laptop and I've had the jump leads on to rule out low voltage, as it did sound like it was dropping out at one point. Grrrrr - why this week?

Post Thanks / Like

That's no good Andy.

Does the car turn over?
    Injector getting 12v?
    Timing wheel not slipped?
    Coil pack getting 12v and given spark?
    Fuel pump still working?
    New manifold and downpipe combo not melted your starter wireing?

Post Thanks / Like

Does the car turn over? - Yup
    Injector getting 12v? - yup
    Timing wheel not slipped? - Not checked - will check
    Coil pack getting 12v and given spark? - no
    Fuel pump still working? - yes
    New manifold and downpipe combo not melted your starter wireing?[/QUOTE] - no

Last edited by TNT ANDY; 22-07-2012 at 08:07.

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check your ecu earth, if it's loose or iffy it could mess everything up

Post Thanks / Like

Do the Injectors click when you fire them in test mode?

Is there a way of checking the coil pack is getting a signal from the ecu telling it to fire while cranking? Anyone local to you with the same coil pack you could try?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Check your ecu earth, if it's loose or iffy it could mess everything up
    Good earth

They are all on 1 bolt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Do the Injectors click when you fire them in test mode?

Is there a way of checking the coil pack is getting a signal from the ecu telling it to fire while cranking? Anyone local to you with the same coil pack you could try?
    No the injectors don't click in test mode, it all goes a bit funny when I try to do that - the fuel pump runs then no clicks, and it keeps doing this over and over and freezes, the only way to stop it is to turn the ignition off.

The chap from the RAC checked the feeds / earth to the coil and said everything was fine apart from any signals of any description coming from the ecu. The trigger wheel pick-up is sending voltage to the ECU but nothing is coming out.

I'm a bit perplexed.

I've checked the trigger wheel and that's ok. When piston 1 is at TDC, the gap is about 90 deg past tdc on the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

That's don't sound good at all. the issue must be in the ecu or the wiring then.

I've a carb for sale of that's any help.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - I've got a box of em here, and I keep looking at them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    LOL - I've got a box of em here, and I keep looking at them
    Lol

F7p ftw

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

crank sensor? Does the Adaptronic have a diagnostic screen so you can review sensor errors?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    crank sensor? Does the Adaptronic have a diagnostic screen so you can review sensor errors?
    I've only got a few and yes I can see them and they look to be doing what they are supposed to.

Post Thanks / Like

Has Ross got a coil pack you can use to test?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only got a few and yes I can see them and they look to be doing what they are supposed to.
    A few CPS errors? might be worth resetting the log then taking it for a run. if it clocks the errors as it cuts out or misses you might be onto something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    A few CPS errors? might be worth resetting the log then taking it for a run. if it clocks the errors as it cuts out or misses you might be onto something?
    I can't get it to run, Scoff is helping me also via e-mail and I've just checked my voltage at the ecu whilst cranking and I'm only getting 9.8v. Time to start poking around there.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get it to run, Scoff is helping me also via e-mail and I've just checked my voltage at the ecu whilst cranking and I'm only getting 9.8v. Time to start poking around there.
    That's abit odd, with nothing else on other than the ignition you should have 12v. I know you said the earth was tight but just to be on the safe side run a temp earth and live and see what happens

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

These ecu'a don't like low voltage.. It gave me loads of problems a couple of months ago! If the lights on the ecu are dim and all coming on that's where the problem will lay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    That's abit odd, with nothing else on other than the ignition you should have 12v. I know you said the earth was tight but just to be on the safe side run a temp earth and live and see what happens
    Just done that - 10.3v whilst cranking now still no gogo.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would assume either your battery is finished or your starter.. Mind what sort of size cable you using for your temp cable? And type

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Andy its unlikely to be the ECU itself. 10.3v is borderline for the ECU to run without resetting. What voltage do you see across the battery when cranking ? If that's considerably higher than 10.3v then there is some loss in your ignition wiring. You could try taking the ECU live straight from the battery for a test start. If the battery is dropping to 10.3v then battery or starter as mentioned.

Did you remember to upgrade your wari version like I said ? If you're using an old version of software with your now updated firmware then maybe you have corrupted the map. You need wari V10 at least. I can email the map file but it is at the workshop right now. I can send it tonight if that helps. ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    These ecu'a don't like low voltage.. It gave me loads of problems a couple of months ago! If the lights on the ecu are dim and all coming on that's where the problem will lay
    Cheers Dave - I can't get it to go with another car hooked up and running. At my battery the voltage drops to just below 12v when cranking so that's ok.

Totally!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Andy its unlikely to be the ECU itself. 10.3v is borderline for the ECU to run without resetting. What voltage do you see across the battery when cranking ? If that's considerably higher than 10.3v then there is some loss in your ignition wiring. You could try taking the ECU live straight from the battery for a test start. If the battery is dropping to 10.3v then battery or starter as mentioned.

Did you remember to upgrade your wari version like I said ? If you're using an old version of software with your now updated firmware then maybe you have corrupted the map. You need wari V10 at least. I can email the map file but it is at the workshop right now. I can send it tonight if that helps. ?
    Hi Chris - no I didn't upgrade to V10 - I'll do that now and that would be great if you could send the ecu file over later. Don't make a special journey - just next time your in the workshop. Thanks

Across the battery, I'm seeing 11.9 whilst cranking - I'm losing a bit through the wiring, but I did connect directly from the battery to no avail.

Andy

BTW - Turbo Teds car

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume either your battery is finished or your starter.. Mind what sort of size cable you using for your temp cable? And type
    I'm using jump leads from the battery to the ecu area, and jumping from them with a pair of 300mm .75mm jumper leads.

I think the starter and battery are fine as I'm still getting 11.9v when cranking at the battery terminals

Post Thanks / Like

I still have one of your maps too if it helps think it's an older one but let me know if you need it also I'm out today but if you can wait till tomorrow I could up load that map to my ecu and be at yours early to try my ecu to rule it out if it's faultily I need to pop to the post office tomorrow so could get it away in the morning for you. What time do you start work as I could be too you for 6 if needed too also if it don't go you will defo know it's something else and we also have loads of time to sort it out before national day we just need a day or 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    I still have one of your maps too if it helps think it's an older one but let me know if you need it also I'm out today but if you can wait till tomorrow I could up load that map to my ecu and be at yours early to try my ecu to rule it out if it's faultily I need to pop to the post office tomorrow so could get it away in the morning for you. What time do you start work as I could be too you for 6 if needed too also if it don't go you will defo know it's something else and we also have loads of time to sort it out before national day we just need a day or 2
    Hi JP - things could get complicated now for both of us. I have V10 Firmware on my ecu, I now have Wari 10 on my Laptop. What do you have on your ecu and laptop? If it's 10, great. if not then we may be introducing problems for you which we don't wan't. there may be a way round this to test it out, but I'm not aware of one.

Post Thanks / Like

I have v10 firmware too so no issues there and think I have the latest version of wari too

Post Thanks / Like

I have v10 firmware too so no issues there and think I have the latest version of wari too
    phew! - I think after scoff sends me my file and I upload it, it may be worth trying out your ecu.

Post Thanks / Like

Once you have the file just email it to me and I will upload it

Post Thanks / Like

Once you have the file just email it to me and I will upload it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Dave - I can't get it to go with another car hooked up and running. At my battery the voltage drops to just below 12v when cranking so that's ok.

Totally!
    Can you take the batt of the other car just to test? What the lights on the ecu doing when your cranking?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you take the batt of the other car just to test? What the lights on the ecu doing when your cranking?
    I can take the battery off the other car if need be, the lights on the ecu where flashing brightly in no particular order. Once stopped, 1 or 2 would remain brightly lit, but again there is no pattern.

still confused.

Post Thanks / Like

That's all very well - but where do I stick the flux capacitor?

To be frank - I bet the answer is actually in there, and I'm just too dumb to sort it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm the man speaks perfect sense so I think I will try what he said

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I can take the battery off the other car if need be, the lights on the ecu where flashing brightly in no particular order. Once stopped, 1 or 2 would remain brightly lit, but again there is no pattern.

still confused.
    That is the ecu resetting because of low volts andy. Did you manage to test cranking with 11.9v on the ECU ? You jumpered live and earth didn't you ? Just live won't show up a poor earth, incase it's that.

I came home for some lunch after a long day with a problematic car, I need to go back and do another couple of hours, I'll try to remember to bring your file home.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the ecu resetting because of low volts andy. Did you manage to test cranking with 11.9v on the ECU ? You jumpered live and earth didn't you ? Just live won't show up a poor earth, incase it's that.

I came home for some lunch after a long day with a problematic car, I need to go back and do another couple of hours, I'll try to remember to bring your file home.
    Hi Chris - I've cranked it over this morning, the ecu did not re-set this morning but still no start. If you can get the file over before 6 today that would be great as JP can get over with his ECU and swap over if the ecu file doesn't sort it out.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you need more fuel.... Liberally spread over the engine & the rest of the car... Then a match to finish

Hope you get it sorted mate!!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you seeing RPM in the F2 window when cranking ? And does the other data stay live when cranking (watch battery voltage on F2 window) or does it disapear as if you unplugged the ECU ?)

I emailed the ECU file just now

Post Thanks / Like

As far as i know scoff Andy had no rpm showing in the live window and also the injectors didn't work while being tested :/

Post Thanks / Like

can i ask something very stupid and highly unlikely, by chance could all the impacts from speedramps have jolted something loose in the ecu itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm mm it's a strange one but fluffy is running again not sure if the problem is sorted or just hidden again only time will tell

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh glad to hear it! hopefully she's sorted and will be good to go for the weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Well andy tidied a few cables up and re loaded the map and gave the ecu it's own power source and it was running put it back to how it was and it ran fine still so not really sure what the cause was so hopefully a few gentle laps near andys is needed to test it out

Post Thanks / Like

A massive thanks to Scoff and JP and also the lads over in Oz (adaptronic) , I don't think I've seen the last of these gremlins, but I think I may have found 1 or 2 weak spots which I will be sorting out over the next few days.

JP popping over was invaluable to better understand some of the original wiring as was the info fom both Scoff and Adaptronic.

Tried again this morning without issue. Brilliant - I'll be replacing a few relays and go from there.

Happy days.......sort of.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, glad you got her up and running again.. It's times like this when you wish you still had the carb and dissy in place lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, glad you got her up and running again.. It's times like this when you wish you still had the carb and dissy in place lol.
    Cheers Dave - I'll be getting a few local miles on her b4 Nat day.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you seeing RPM in the F2 window when cranking ? And does the other data stay live when cranking (watch battery voltage on F2 window) or does it disapear as if you unplugged the ECU ?)

I emailed the ECU file just now
    To go back a few steps - and I can't remember if I let you know this via e-mail or not, but the sometimes it stayed connected, sometimes it didn't , but when it did, the F2 window showed RPM.