Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Apple Tech support....well used to be.

Alright ladies and gents.

Just thought it would be a good idea to let you know if you had any issues with ipods, iphones or Macs that I'm pretty handy with them and still have a few mates working in the Apple stores and tech support phone lines. If anyone is stuck or just wants a bit of advice drop me a line in here or pm me and i will try and get it sorted for you.

Peace and love

Jimmy.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm Apple Tech support....well used to be.

Also if in doubt or you think your Mac is goosed try this page first www.apple.com/support then just follow the links to your product. Also the actual website it has a search bar in the top right hand corner....although you can just copy and paste the error code you get that comes up into the google search bar on your computer and that brings up the results. Just make sure when you click on the link that the website address is either discussions.apple.com or apple.com/support....

Hope this helps a few people out.

Post Thanks / Like

my mate works for apple.

They seem pretty stringent on what information you can share etc. he wont tell me much about it although he will tell me anything else! :S

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could tell me if it's possible to setup Safari on my Iphone so it won't tell websites it's a mobile browser.

Getting pretty anoyed by all those mobile websites which suck!
    Browsing the internet on Iphone works perfect with full websites...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    Maybe you could tell me if it's possible to setup Safari on my Iphone so it won't tell websites it's a mobile browser.

Getting pretty anoyed by all those mobile websites which suck!
    Browsing the internet on Iphone works perfect with full websites...
    download google chrome or opera browser

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I play .mkv files on a Mac?

I've googled, etc, and not found a way.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Aren't MKV files just DivX Plus HD..?

http://www.divx.com/en/software/mac

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave, that looks like it might play them.

Will attempt to give it a try.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    How do I play .mkv files on a Mac?

I've googled, etc, and not found a way.
    What OS are you running? Anything from leopard onwards is a good start. Alot of programs are phasing out support for power PC macs now. they don't even work properly with the latest version of flash anymore!

After giving discussions.apple.com a quick browse i found this https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

TBH I use VLC and it runs pretty much everything i have thrown at it but never really used mkv file format myself. This thread above seems to look useful. wonder what changing the .mkv to .MOV would do???

I'm seeing the boys from apple at poker on friday night. I will ask them if they use .MKV and see what they have come up with. What sort of stuff you using MKV files for? is there anyway you could use another format until there is more support out there or is MKV a must?

Some people just go out of their way to find formats that Apple dont support.....those are the people that used to make me smile most while i was there! We'd be like ''you could just use this'' and they would say ''but its the principle! Apple should run anything, they are amazing''. What evs......any way, hope this helps.

Also must say that anything I do suggest on here is purely that, just a suggestion! Try Apps and websites at your own risk! When I worked there we were never allowed to recomend 3rd party apps as we were never trained on them and were never sure of how they would react on different people's set ups. We were trained on install,reinstall,recovery and erase and install.

Saying that, amongst there were quite a few ''hackintosh experts'' that were willing to try anything! These are the lads i will see at poker every other friday so will put your issues to them and report back.

Good luck.

live long and prosper ppl.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSamuelOfBuca View Post
    my mate works for apple.

They seem pretty stringent on what information you can share etc. he wont tell me much about it although he will tell me anything else! :S
    Doesnt sound like much of a mate! haha! then again i no longer work for apple and the stuff i know is probably outdated now! The boys i know really dont mind telling me. If it gets people using Mac more and makes people's ''apple experience'' a more positive one why not tell people stuff? Fair enough not letting onto people that apple are releasing a new product and TBH not even we got to know that. We'd get briefed on the day of release and be expected to hit he floor running when people were phoning in with bugs! Nightmare.

The only thing they were pretty tight on was making sure you didnt have a ''conflict of interests ie working for apple but yet having a side job testing Betas for Microsoft or Using SDK and creating your own apps! For some reason they didnt like that. They actually made one lad close his SDK programme account or leave him job! so he said he closed it but just got his mother to become an SDK expert ''overnight'' if you catch my drift!

so to summarise my scatty post:

It would be like your mate being a Renault engineer, knowing how to fix your 5 and being like ''oh sorry mate, cant tell you that!'' lol sure if he was a mate he wouldnt mind fixin ya mac! Get him sorted out! haha.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    download google chrome or opera browser
    What he said

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all that. Some stuff to try out mentioned in there.

It's for a pal who bought one of those iMac things with it all in the 22 inch, or so, screen. It might be about 10 months old.

For at least the last 6 years .mkv files have been a popular method for containing high definition video files such as H.264 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mkv

All the downloadable, ie, torrents, etc, HD stuff is H.264 in .mkv

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rainey_y2k View Post
    What he said
    A proper media player is required, with full functionality, play, pause, stop, and a ton of other controls.

In the land of the PC a lot this stuff is open source and plentiful. You can even buy video players that do a good job with your BDs and 720p TV captures.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't laugh, how do i reject a call instead of letting it go to voicemail

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Don't laugh, how do i reject a call instead of letting it go to voicemail
    Shamefully i dont have an iphone as i am wayyyyy to accident prone. Being a break dancer involves spending half my time upside down.....and i ususally forget to take my phone and keys out of my pocket!

1st off phil save this, its massively helpful for stuff like this: http://support.apple.com/manuals/

2nd. When you receive a call, you may MUTE the call, by pressing the button on the top of the iPhone just once.
    To REJECT the call and divert the call straight to voicemail, press the button on the top of the iPhone twice in fairly quick succession. Hope this helps buddy!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also found this helps too. Got some stuff in there that makes you go '' OH YEAH?! It does do that, I wondered how to do that!'' http://iphone.appstorm.net/roundups/...and-shortcuts/