Post Thanks / Like

Re: lagging behind by a few years!!!!

great project mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    that's the one fuel pump wasn't switched on
    Yes not a good way to introduce myself , and I thought I'd been cursed by the legendary r5 reliability issues I now have a fuel pump relay ready to fit so the pump won't be on a switch for me to forget to turn on and safer too should the worst happen.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSamuelOfBuca View Post
    great project mate
    Cheers bud.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    Top work mate always have had a soft spot for this 5 since I met you at toddington on the way to pod I think in 2011
    Cheers Phil, same with your car,one of my favourites on this site. So many different details that pop out at you every time I've seen it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Looks really good i really like this car its really mint underneath aswell
    Cheers Chris. Its fairly clean underneath not mint mind, although I did get Henry the Hoover to suck up some cobwebs the other night

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

no way! hear you are. lol i wondered wer u went. hows the car fella?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithyr5gt View Post
    New poster! (less than 10 posts)

no way! hear you are. lol i wondered wer u went. hows the car fella?
    Yo smithy, I had a feeling it was you ye I can never log on to the other forum so I never really go on it. I did notice you was after another 5 again, good lad. I'm doing little bits to her, got to get turbo rebuilt before it's on the road hoping to be April/May ish had lots on in the house loft conversion etc so didn't touch car from Aug 11 to about Nov last year I think. You got one yet? Hope you're doing ok bud, good to see you over here

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fella. yeah im all good mate. glad to see you havent given up on her. she is a fine bit of work mate. i havent got one yet. but im working on it. i will have one soon mate. dont you worry. lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

About time I updated here, not alot going on just plodding along when I get time rad is now finished and painted, had to move it over another inch as the return was to close to the oil lines for my liking. Had to use a bit of flexible pipe from the return pipe and join it to the samco up to w pump. Had some new oil lines made up with 45 degree fittings to clear the front cross member away from cooler then tidied up and fitted oil stat and sender housing using brackets and p clips. I've fitted alot of heat protection sleeving to protect me wiring, tidied up and shortened and extended some wiring where needed and have just been cleaning tidying as I go along. I'm hoping to send the turbo off for a rebuild early next month, then I've got to paint the back off the car if weather let's me I'm aiming now to get finished ready for mot by early June. Pics to follow. Thanks for reading

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had a few hours in the shed, I ordered a 90 degree stainless steel pipe to join onto the inlet side of the I/cooler pipe so I've set about cutting and shaping it to fit perfectly before I get it welded up, I'm 90% there so should be able to get that welded next week if I get chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice build mate.. Seems a bit if a job reducing the boost run. I have the same fmic as you and I've had no trouble with the length of run in regards to pressure lost.

And as for how it looked before with the big wing and rear bumper I don't know what the fuss was about. I thought it looked spot on. If I never inherited the wide boot spoiler on mine I'd have that clothes line on my five with no hesitation. Not enough originality in the five world nowadays.

Plus my 5 also where's a set of carisma skirts and I love them. Gives the car a wide look IMO and they look awesome.

Plus you know the young boy racers are crapping it when a modded five pulls up. A stealth is under rated. Wear the mods with pride and let the world know your comming and your going to be the first to leave the lights....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the pressure loss I was worried about, it was how long it took to go from turbo to carb. But ye it is a lot of work to do what I've done I have thought this myself many times but I actually enjoy mucking about with the old girl, and I can say it's not just a bolt on ktec jobbie now as for the body styling, I'm just to old for it bud it was ok when I was 20 but now ten years on its not for me if you get me drift thanks for the comments though bud and get some pics up of yours

Post Thanks / Like

Hey mate I was 23 in 2002 when I bought my 5. Sat off the road for 6 years and I set off building a full on kitted out 5. I'm now 34 and I love my kitted out 5. Your never to old to turn heads in the high street ))

Go old skool!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm nearly ready to fire the old girl up, so last night I went to prime the engine over and check I had oil flowing and make sure all my oil lines etc were nipped up tight. So I put the oil turbo feed in a pot cranked her over and all I was getting was a feeble flow come through as well as some air a quick check of the oil cooler shows its bone dry now I'm thinking I've put my stat in the wrong way so I put my modified dizzy drive in and span it up and am happy to say I've now filled the cooler up and was getting a good flow out the turbo feed but I couldn't get the drive out I gave up after 5mins and will attempt to get it out later. Poxy cars.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent 10 mins trying to hook my dizzy drive out, using long nose pliers then I tried a wide flat wood drill bit to try and put pressure on it and hook it up, nothing it didn't budge I'm now starting to lose patience here and trying harder not to throw whatever was in my hand at something. Then out pops the better half with tea in hand (good lass), so I explain whats not happening, she says let's have a go on them pliers and I'll try within 3 attempts it's out too say I was happy was an understatement I've now put the oe drive in getting it in position 1st time. And I've now got a healthy flow through the feed. I'm soon going to start her up once I've worked out researched where no 1 is on the dizzy cap.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

She runs not for long because I've not got any coolant in her, fired almost straight away not bad considering it last ran back in August 2011

Post Thanks / Like

woohooooo you going to make national day at blyton you think????? would be nice to see.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get in there....good lad

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. The drill method never fails for priming up the oil system

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    woohooooo you going to make national day at blyton you think????? would be nice to see.
    Unfortunately I can't make blyton, but I will be at the pod on the Sunday.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Danny - kentraider yep it was a good moment, won't be long and we can go for a 2 car cruise round the coast Brigsy, yep it's definitely a good tip

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished the boost hoses now took a while I thought I had to remove front gearbox mount though to fit the pipe under the chassis so I cleaned it up and painted it while it was off, only to find that I could have just moved me header tank a few inches and it would have passed through ok just had the girl running for a good 30mins and oil pressure is ok now, last time it was flickering the oil light it has still got its smoking issue though, which I new it would. Going to take the turbo off tomorrow then run her up again and hopefully it won't smoke. Must get some pics up soon

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Took turbo off today and the rear housing elbow and downpipe are covered in oil but I was hoping this was going to be there because it means the engines ok so I need to ring about next week and get it sent off for a rebuild. Back onto the bodywork for me soon then

Post Thanks / Like

Before you condemn the turbo, have you tried running it with the rocker breather just piped to a catch tank?

My turbo smoked from the off and the instant i tried this, no more smoke. Might save you a few quid, but then again it might not

sometimes just giving it a short run can also clear it's lungs so to speak.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    Before you condemn the turbo, have you tried running it with the rocker breather just piped to a catch tank?

My turbo smoked from the off and the instant i tried this, no more smoke. Might save you a few quid, but then again it might not

sometimes just giving it a short run can also clear it's lungs so to speak.
    No dont do this to me, putting doubt in my mind. I ran a thread about this nearly two years ago and everyone said it's the oil seals getting into the exhaust and this is what I have found today. I have some pipe into a catch tank and its fine. Is this what you mean. How else would oil get into the elbow downpipe and rear housing?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the crank case pressure can push oil past the seals in the turbo, basically what happens is when the oil comes out of the turbo it isn't under any pressure it just drains out, if the crankcase pressure restricts this flow then the oil backs up and pushes out of the seals and into the exhaust.

As a quick check, take the oil cap off whilst it's up to temp and see if it clears up.

my turbo just hates the standard oil breather pot, i block the sump return off then just pipe the rocker cover straight to a catch tank, make sure the tank can also breath well.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    Sometimes the crank case pressure can push oil past the seals in the turbo, basically what happens is when the oil comes out of the turbo it isn't under any pressure it just drains out, if the crankcase pressure restricts this flow then the oil backs up and pushes out of the seals and into the exhaust.

As a quick check, take the oil cap off whilst it's up to temp and see if it clears up.

my turbo just hates the standard oil breather pot, i block the sump return off then just pipe the rocker cover straight to a catch tank, make sure the tank can also breath well.
    Right that does make sense although I don't think it is this, this but you have got me thinking I should bolt the turbo back on and test this just to be sure. So obviously I had better clean the oil out of the elbow etc then bolt turbo on, then I'd better leave the cap off for the whole test because if I don't I'm not going to k ow if it's passing through because of crank pressure or if it's the seals shot. If I leave cap off and there's still oil then it's definitely oil seals shot how long should I have this running for I'm unable to drive it at the no.

Post Thanks / Like

From cold upto temp should do it, although there will be quite a bit of oil to burn off already.

Does the turbo have any play in the bearings?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is hardly any play either direction. He I know there will still be oil to burn off, but my plan was to just bolt it on very rapidly, run it up then take it off and check inside to see if there's fresh oil inside elbow etc. Does this make sense to you

Post Thanks / Like

it does

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Phil. Looks like ill be doing this tomoz thanks to you only joking. Be nice if it was what you're suggesting. I'll post up here and let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

as said if its piped in to a catch tank make sure the tank has an open part to atmospohere.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turbo on yesterday, ran her up. I've just taking it off a minute ago and it's still got fresh oil in the rear housing, elbow etc. Time for a rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds that way, shame you couldn't take it for a drive just to be 100% if the turbo company is honest then they will tell you it doesn't need a re-build, that's what happened with me when i sent mine off, just wasted £45 in postage and packaging

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just rung bluntys turbo guy, he seemed ok on the phone so it's going there. £45 my friend sent a turbo off for £13. This turbo bloke is only 40miles away so I might even just run it down there.

Post Thanks / Like

£22 per way for me, and a £50 inspection fee, to be fair the turbo came back with new water unions on it and they even chucked in an oil drain flange. Was an expensive mistake non the less

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a lot of hard work and love has gone into this. Top job! Love the colour matey.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers big dupes. Yep lots of hours on this and definitely a Labour of love. Only thing is I'm so slow and by the time I finish I think umm maybe I should do it this way

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Better get it done properly than rush, eh! What sort of thing would you have done differently now?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not so much now mainly with the outside look, but I do think umm I'd like this in super glossy white sometimes

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I wished I'd put a uprated cam in now, that will come this winter

Post Thanks / Like

You could always wrap it in a nice shiny white, then later on when you get bored of it... rip it off. Personally, I really like the colour you've opted for. When it comes to styling, everyone has their preference. I say go with what makes you happy and screw everyone else.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd attempt at posting a few pics pics and still none, must get a new laptop soon. Anyway sent me turbo off last week and have been told that it's dead due to oil starvation something about a bronze colour somewhere in there, this ties in with the low oil pressure I had that's now sorted. Fingers crossed I'll be able to have a bit more fun in her when it's on the road this time I've also visited my local paint suppliers and got all me bits and Bob's ready to paint the rear end, if the weather clears up anyway

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turbo has now been sorted and should be in post ready to fit soon, £325 gone just like that . And too think it was all down to my shocking spanner skills . I'm hoping this afternoon I'll be able to put a coat of primer/sealer over me tailgate and bumper fingers crossed it doesn't rain, please!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful day it's been, perfect spraying weather got the parts primed, going to sand out probably most of the primer Tomoz night to make sure it's flat and true, then the final coat will be put on Sunday and then for the top coat I'm aiming for tues poss wed .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished wet sanding the bumper, tailgate, spoiler and tail trim and put a bit of putty filler where needed. Started at 8:30 tonight and now I'm off to work for a rest err I mean to graft God I'm going to be tired timid, better be worth it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Put another coat of primer on all the parts, pleased with it so far. Going to nib it all back tomorrow then put the top coat on Tuesday if the weather behaves. I'm aiming to go for an mot around the 21st of this month, which should give me a few weeks to iron out any niggles before the Retro show.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

They say the key is in the preparation, I bloody hope so I'd hate to think off how many hours have gone into this rear end

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

And it's now blue pics to follow.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few pics, quite pleased with the outcome just abit of wet sanding to get rid of the orange peel and a good polish and they will look spot on well for a diy job anyway