Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: lagging behind by a few years!!!!

Cheers for all the positive comments above, and was good to meet you smithy. There's always next year to see it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Picture update,freshly painted shocks built up with brand new renault bearings, doughnuts, top hat and everything else shot blasted and then powder coated black. Still got so much to do had to stop work on the electrics as I ran out of solder hopefully that will come tomorrow so I can cross that off the to do list. After missing out on showing the car at fcs I definitely want to get this to the retro show.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Come on Vauxhall boy, you'll make it!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Liam (pop round whenever you want too) and tutuur stop swearing at me

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had some new oil lines made from a local hydraulic company. Have now got these fitted, so I can now start putting all the water hoses on etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Just had some new oil lines made from a local hydraulic company. Have now got these fitted, so I can now start putting all the water hoses on etc.

I would have been inclined to mount that oil cooler vertically (next to the side tank on the rad) and block the rest of the hole up so you get as much air through the rad/oil cooler as possible. Your rad efficiency will be massively reduced how you've done it.

Looks minty fresh though fella, keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    I would have been inclined to mount that oil cooler vertically (next to the side tank on the rad) and block the rest of the hole up so you get as much air through the rad/oil cooler as possible. Your rad efficiency will be massively reduced how you've done it.

Dave, you make a good point, but when you think of where the bumper and grill sit, it's probably better where it is?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    Looking good
    Cheers JP

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post

Cheers for the comments Dave, I've never had any cooling problems before. But with your experience I'm not going to say your wrong either the oil cooler has maximum flow to it through the grill where it's positioned.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    Dave, you make a good point, but when you think of where the bumper and grill sit, it's probably better where it is?
    but I would wouldn't I

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Electrics are now sorted I've also moved the header tank over behind the drivers headlight. Had too cut 20mm out of the tank and get it welded together again as it sat too high and would have touched the bonnet I'm going to try it first without the swirl pot as its so much neater, but I can revert back to the pot if I need to. The 13mm hose joiner has just literally turned up so I can now complete the water circuit, unfortunately my missus works every Saturday so I'm with the kids and I'm not going to get much time tomorrow due to fathers day some pics for you

Post Thanks / Like

Coming along nicely. Look absolutely great.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the comments Dave, I've never had any cooling problems before. But with your experience I'm not going to say your wrong either the oil cooler has maximum flow to it through the grill where it's positioned.

Ye it will get flow, but not maximum as it's not got a shroud around it to force the air through . If you got a fan and some smoke you would see that hardly any air would pass through the oil cooler or rad.. Air always (like water) takes the easiest path possible.

Although you didn't have any problems dosen't mean to say its working 100% efficient

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good mate keep it up and see u next weekend.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers mike, fingers crossed it will be ready

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I had a good few hours to work on the car today and it was a case of one step forward two steps back

I've tapped a thread into the top return pipe on the header tank and put a bolt in it, all ok here but I thought I would just make sure it wasn't leaking by pressure testing it. It didn't leak but I found a pin hole in the bottom weld so I had to run it too a guy the other side of town too put a blob of weld over it. This basically wasted over an hour of my time.

Then after filling up the system with antifreeze I pressure tested it only too find a leak coming from my water temp sender in the cylinder head blanking plate ( the annoying part is my friend put this in and assured me he had sealed it correctly ). So I've had too drain part of the fluid all over my lovely clean gearbox, take the plate off and basically redo it correctly. Then go over and clean half my engine bay yet another hour passes and im back where I am before.

I did get my passenger side caliper etc bolted on and have cut 100mm out of my exhaust too fit a flexi pipe in. Fingers crossed I have a more productive evening before I go too work.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been a bit slack on the car lately and after seeing the cars at the retro show yesterday it's giving me the kick up the arse to get back on it. Saying that though due to fund issues I won't be getting it on the road untill the start of august so I won't be rushing.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mate 👍

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

over 2months have passed and I've not touched the car. I've not got much to do to finish it, but decided that I didn't want to insure tax and mot the car for probably only a few weeks worth off Sun. So I'll get it finished and ready for the very first sign of good weather next year.

Off the top off my head I've got too,

Fill up oil and coolant
    Paint drivers door shut
    Make air filter box
    Prep, prime and paint rear arches and standard sideskirts
    Fit wings, bumper, grill etc
    Cut out rot from passenger sill and weld in New pattern panel
    Paint above
    Bleed brakes
    There's got to be more but that's the basics

Once the kids are back at school/nursery I'll get back into the swing off things.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have recently had to put my Springer spaniel too sleep and have been scouring old photos off her.

Anyway I stumbled over some pics off my 5 when I had just bought it back in 2002 I think there a picture off a picture hence the crap quality

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell if it's just the angle of the photo or is there a huge amount of camber in wheels?

Perhaps you were the first person to start the euro scene!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

no I was holding the photo and its curved as I'm holding it. It does look like it's got mega camber going on

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey up buddy...so sorry to hear about the dog...aww man heart gos out to you gemma and the kids.....such a shame my man as the dog was always in the garage with you on the builds....will have to swing by soon buddy ...all the best neil

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kentraider View Post
    Hey up buddy...so sorry to hear about the dog...aww man heart gos out to you gemma and the kids.....such a shame my man as the dog was always in the garage with you on the builds....will have to swing by soon buddy ...all the best neil
    Alright Danny, ye I'm still gutted

Your always welcome round here bud, be good to see your two projects soon as well, efi eh .......

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your dog.My gifriend has a Springer and they are such clever lovely dogs.

The project is great and can't wait to see it finished.Hopefully mine will be done for next year and will get to see yours at shows

Post Thanks / Like

Always great coming across some old pictures of your car you had forgotten about:agreed:

Bad news when you loose a pet, particularly if it's like your assistant and always by your side.

My collie is only five but I'm already worried about when that time comes, one of the crap points about having pets but I suppose it's just part of life. My mum has recently had to do the same thing to one of her old dogs also.

Nothing wrong with taking your time with these projects. Sometimes life just gets in the way. It's admirable that you have managed to stick with it all these years and not just get shut when you get bored and then regret it later down the line.

Giving yourself a little more time I'm sure will only increase the quality of what is already an awesome project with amazing attention to detail. I have said it before and I will say it again. I really wish I had your attention to detail. I'm always in to much of a hurry to chuck it all together and go break it again to be arsed.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Luke, yep I'll be at some shows next year.... in the car this time rather than just in person

Thanks for the kind words Phil, I do tend to get bored of the old girl from time to time but up till now I've never thought of selling up, saying that though I will half heartedly try next year as we're trying to save for a kitchen extension. I expect that my valuation will be slightly to high and I'll still be the owner mind

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well over four months have passed since I last worked on the 5 but I have an update only small mind but still it's progress and maybe I'm getting the love again for the old girl.

As it was a lovely afternoon I decided to repaint my drivers side door shut. The reason I've had to repaint this was because the paint shop mixed up my paint slightly wrong I only realized after I'd painted the engine bay and door shut. Any how I left the engine bay the slightly darker shade but got them to mix it properly this time and now I'm hoping it blends in....pleeeease.

Pic 1 shows the difference in shade the bit in the middle is where it's been flatted back, pic 2 is all flatted back and masked, pic 3 shows the new colour to the old darker shade. You can just make out where I've pulled the masking tape away from the right. It's still to wet to go pulling away all the tape but the match looks so much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you working on the car again, be good to see it all back together again soon, don't loose the love, just do one bit at a time and it keeps it moving along.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Jeff, I'm slowly getting my mojo back

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you back at it

My Mojo has pack his bags and ****ed off

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just hung the door back on, and the colour match is spot on I've now turned the car around ready to cut out the rot out I uncovered on the passenger sill.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello mate glad you back on the case be good to see it next year ready for the summer get mine back very soon going to run it in after rebuild and put away for winter

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dre5gtt View Post
    Hello mate glad you back on the case be good to see it next year ready for the summer get mine back very soon going to run it in after rebuild and put away for winter
    Ye it will definitely be going to some shows next year. I'm planning on cracking on with it in the next few weeks and getting a lot of the jobs out the way rather than wait untill the weather picks up and then rushing. Where's yours been then? You still enjoying that beast of a bmw.

Post Thanks / Like

Ye it will definitely be going to some shows next year. I'm planning on cracking on with it in the next few weeks and getting a lot of the jobs out the way rather than wait untill the weather picks up and then rushing. Where's yours been then? You still enjoying that beast of a bmw.
    Cool mate look forward to seeing it in the flesh
    Yeah love the bmw mate got a nice FMIC,carbon spoiler, black grills and a remap so running about 380 bhp, 440 torque its a beast and can be a handful

Post Thanks / Like

very jealous, properly nice this, top work mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dre5gtt View Post
    Cool mate look forward to seeing it in the flesh
    Yeah love the bmw mate got a nice FMIC,carbon spoiler, black grills and a remap so running about 380 bhp, 440 torque its a beast and can be a handful
    you just can't leave any car alone can you. Definitely sounds like a toy.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_clioGTT View Post
    very jealous, properly nice this, top work mate
    Thanks for the kind words Jamie, it's nice to know some people do like a non oe 5 I do feel like I'm in the minority on here

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No progress as off yet just seem to be busy elsewhere in life leaving me with not much renault time

Anyhow it's pretty irrelevant because it's looking like I'm not going to be able to afford to put the car on the road this year.

For a good few months the rumours have been going that our department is looking to make severe staffing cut backs and today at a briefing they just aren't going away. I'm not looking at redundancy but we will be put into another department where I'll have 2 years too find a job or it will be out the door but the worse case is I could be over a grand down per month depending on what they get us too do.

So with this in my mind I've decided to save as much as I can untill something happens. So at least I've got something too fall into should I need it. So heavily saving = no funds to put the 5 on the road...again.

Life can suck sometimes. But trying too look on a positive note we had these rumours a few years back and nothing happened, so hopefully the new man in charge will get a blow to the head and will forget about trying to change everything around.

Post Thanks / Like

hope work sorts its self out and you can get the 5 back on the road as soon as posible.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that bud. Hope you get it all sorted soon miss your project posts

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers chaps, well just have too see what happens I don't normally take much notice of the rumours because it can do your head in but sometimes I do worry. I've still got some jobs to do on the car so I'll still be posting.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep the 5 tucked up in that garage mate and carry on with it when things are more stable. That's my wonderful advice

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about this. As said above, just tuck the car away for a while until you're in a better position. Hope everything works out.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well no updates on the car but very good news on the job front. The rumours have been quashed at our weekly briefing so my job is safe 😄 happy days. Got a little welding project to do which will give me more welding experience then in a few weeks I'll be cracking on with welding in a new ns sill. Really looking forward to getting the car finished for the retro show now. Might even treat the car to a few items too 🚗🚗

Post Thanks / Like

good to hear mate, looking forward to some updates

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Payed for another years membership 😊 and have now started work on the old girl. As normal I've left it really late to finish the bits and pieces ready for the retro show 😆 started to cut out the rotten sill only to find the inner was a lot worse than the drivers side. So I've been making up plates ready to weld in to make it as good as new. Pics won't load up 😕