Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

lagging behind by a few years!!!!

Ive been meaning to pluck up the courage to show you lot my GT turbo for a while now, but as its far from standard and oe is the way everyone is going ive been reluctant to show it.

Anyway most of you will hate it which is fine you all have your own opinions, to be fair some of the outside im not sure about myself.

A brief history, i bought this car about ten years ago drove her about for a while, then took it off the road to sort a few problems out. And apart froma slight flirt with the tarmac for a few months last year thats how its been ever since My plan was to have a completely stripped out road going car and thats what i have but i failed to notice how the trend was going over the years ie oe. As you will see from the pics going back to oe would be a complete waste of time and money so shes staying as it is for now, id rather spend any spare money on engine mods.

A few pics over the years

intercooler is now level eagle eyes

brake lines are now tidy held in place with p clips

exhaust now level

The car has been off the road since august last year and has been under a sheet ever since, due to me undertaking a loft conversion on my house having another baby lots of work etc etc. Hopefully ill be able to do some work in the next few weeks and plan to have it back on the road next spring, im expecting alot of criticism but keep it nice i dont want to abused

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lagging behind by a few years!!!!

Nice project, looks good all painted underneath, I doubt you will get blasted maybe for the wing and side skirts

Post Thanks / Like

That looks very well put together with a very good finish Questionable in the taste stakes but then you do seem to be very young so I'll let you off on that one ......

Post Thanks / Like

Might not be o.e but pound to a penny it's in better condition than alot of o.e cars. At the end of the day it's your car and your opinion. So show it off!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mate as said at pod day last year I really like your car think everything about it makes it is what it is and I don't think you need to change any of it back to oe will it make an appearance to the next surrey meet mate love your car

Post Thanks / Like

Before seeing the pictures I was expecting to see a complete turd, but I think it looks good. The quality of work is good too so you shouldn't feel like you can't show it off. Love the wheels, I'd say if it were mine I'd stick with standard skirts and rear spoiler, apart from that it looks a beast!

Post Thanks / Like

Dont know why you where worried mate i think the quality of work is great alt of time must of gone in to it nice one

Post Thanks / Like

I actually really like that good work mate

Post Thanks / Like

Like you say not everyones cup of tea and not mine, but you have got to be given 10 out of 10 for the care and effort gone into the car

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a very good car, good to see somebody flatting the inside before paint.

Only thing id maybe do is loose the skirts in favour of o/e, but the rest looks cool

Post Thanks / Like

wow alot of work into that. Looks nice.

As youv said way past the point of going oe, but oe spoiler, skirts and bumpers would be the way id take it. None the less think it does look nice as is and like the colour

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it

And it's been done really well!!! Credit to you Nad

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    I like it

And it's been done really well!!! Credit to you Nad
    see i told you neil...not everyone will hate it....
    me an alot of others on here will agree that uve done a cracking job an uve certainly earnt ur stripes me ol.china

i dont like man utd lol but i.still admire how they play footie

Post Thanks / Like

I like the quality and the fact it's yours and you've made it your and done everything well.. If we was all the same it would be boring but quality stands up.. Great job pal..

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic car really really top quality work too. Gotta get it ready for a blast round blyton

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!! i thought i was going to be taken to the slaughter house Really chuffed with the comments

I do agree with alot of you, id prob change the spoiler and the skirts back to oe, but as with anything it all costs money, and me tree at the bottom of the garden is running low maybe one day.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    Mate as said at pod day last year I really like your car think everything about it makes it is what it is and I don't think you need to change any of it back to oe will it make an appearance to the next surrey meet mate love your car
    Cheers Phil, im afraid it wont be seeing the road untill spring at the earliest, ive got to get my turbo rebuilt or changed ( i think the seals had perished where it had sat for years) but ive just completed alot of work on the house including a loft conversion which has drained our funds so im going to do a few bits over the winter and have it ready for spring.

I should be there for the next surrey meet with Dan aka Kentraider in the ST.

Post Thanks / Like

If you got the the o.e kit on there and sprayed it a normal ish colour then thay car would look amazingly good. IMO. But it is your opinion that counts!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of time and effort has been thrown at that, take me hat to u fella, done a lovely with it bravo fella.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kentraider View Post
    see i told you neil...not everyone will hate it....
    me an alot of others on here will agree that uve done a cracking job an uve certainly earnt ur stripes me ol.china

i dont like man utd lol but i.still admire how they play footie
    Cheers dan great words hopefully see you for the surrey meet in your 5!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOMTOM View Post
    A lot of time and effort has been thrown at that, take me hat to u fella, done a lovely with it bravo fella.
    Cheers Tom,

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Fantastic car really really top quality work too. Gotta get it ready for a blast round blyton
    Cheers for the comments fella, unfortunately it wont see blyton

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Cheers dan great words hopefully see you for the surrey meet in your 5!!
    ur welcome neil.....im really trying to get mine sorted an.mot for surrey meet...put the carb i had bought an put refurb kit on...the bitch wouldnt idle...lol
    put my old k.tech group gay carb on an it idles....only thing is to get it to idle at even 1100 rpm afr was 15.6 an no joke mixture screw out 6 turns

my dad reckons the carb has an air leak as when we sprayed carb cleaner round inlet etc no.idle change..but when sprayed near where enrichment an gaskets are etc idle gos groggy... .fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the comments fella, unfortunately it wont see blyton
    Get the carb rebuilt and trailor it there dont worry bout MOT. Its a big one this year
    Im sure a local will help you rebuild it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quality of the work looks great, some lovely touches in there. Looks like you've touched every mm of the car at some stage or another

Post Thanks / Like

as above really, lovely effort and can tell its been done to a very high spec

and if it want for the god awful spoiler i'd say its was absolutely spot on

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all. Top effort, looks good. For only a few more quid std skirts spoiler and bumpers and would look awesome! Well done.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kentraider View Post
    ur welcome neil.....im really trying to get mine sorted an.mot for surrey meet...put the carb i had bought an put refurb kit on...the bitch wouldnt idle...lol
    put my old k.tech group gay carb on an it idles....only thing is to get it to idle at even 1100 rpm afr was 15.6 an no joke mixture screw out 6 turns

my dad reckons the carb has an air leak as when we sprayed carb cleaner round inlet etc no.idle change..but when sprayed near where enrichment an gaskets are etc idle gos groggy... .fingers crossed
    Bloody cars, im sure u will sort it out soon, cant wait to see them both.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Get the carb rebuilt and trailor it there dont worry bout MOT. Its a big one this year
    Im sure a local will help you rebuild it.
    Its no my carb Tony, kentraider is having probs with his mine needs a turbo replacement next years national

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Quality of the work looks great, some lovely touches in there. Looks like you've touched every mm of the car at some stage or another
    Cheers Trevhib, yep that statement is very true, at one stage the only thing on the car was one stubborn petrol pipe clip

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    as above really, lovely effort and can tell its been done to a very high spec

and if it want for the god awful spoiler i'd say its was absolutely spot on
    Cheers Coops appreciate your comments. I know i wish i didnt put the spoiler on, didnt really think about it untill it was bolted on, then you think oh more work to do more money to throw at it etc etc

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Agree with all. Top effort, looks good. For only a few more quid std skirts spoiler and bumpers and would look awesome! Well done.
    Cheers Matt , as ive just mentioned above its all about the money, ive already got to get my turbo rebuilt/replaced ready to get it back on the road if only i could stop paying me mortgage and feed the kids on bread for a few months

Post Thanks / Like

Great effort on the build here mate!

Looks a great condition 5 not a usual rot box (like mine was)

Shame as I had some GT side skirts, rear bumper, campus mint boot and GT spoiler you could of added on for free

No one wanted it in the for sale section for months so sadly all been binned now! I'm sure you could pick up a rear bumper for £20-£30, skirts for around the same, and spoiler for £20

Post Thanks / Like

personally i like the dash - or lack of it, and the hidden wiring.

i know that takes a great deal of work to sort.

at the end of the day, kits like this have their place in history.
    they really arent any different to the dimma/skeete kits that are 'cool' again?

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say (neck on the block here) ive always like'd the aggressive kits for the 5's if done well.

imop if it were mine id loose the rear lights/skirt's...Get some bigger wheels on it, with maybe a cheekie gloss black coat on them to give a more Moody look, touch lower all round for a more level stance and it'd be right up my street them

these kits really need monster rims to pull the proportion's off imop..

Gotta say though that apart from the above(all my taste oc and no disrespect to your's at all ) and going from the pic's, the effort/finish is absolutely superb, a real credit to you and all involved, id be well proud of it, its one of the cleanist 5's ive seen OE or not...

Oh and This one.. is still a heart throb 5 of all time for me, scroll down for cheekie vid clip... love to do one similiar

Well done fella, variety is the spice and its good to see this one, make's a refreshing change

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how i missed this

10/10 for quality and effort

My personal opinion is the wing and skirts are too much for the rest of the kit and i'm not keen on the back bumper but the rest looks great. I can see how and why it would be hassle to change them now.

Did you do the bodywork and spraying yourself?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 45_CB View Post
    Great effort on the build here mate!

Looks a great condition 5 not a usual rot box (like mine was)

Shame as I had some GT side skirts, rear bumper, campus mint boot and GT spoiler you could of added on for free
    Cheers fella

What a shame you just threw it all away

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    personally i like the dash - or lack of it, and the hidden wiring.

i know that takes a great deal of work to sort.
    Cheers Sparkie, ye the dash is my favorite bit of the car

all the wiring that came out the car filled a 40ltr storage box, i then used what i needed to make a new wiring loom and it barely made a dent in the pile

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5 turbo View Post
    Gotta say (neck on the block here) ive always like'd the aggressive kits for the 5's if done well.

imop if it were mine id loose the rear lights/skirt's...Get some bigger wheels on it, with maybe a cheekie gloss black coat on them to give a more Moody look, touch lower all round for a more level stance and it'd be right up my street them

Gotta say though that apart from the above(all my taste oc and no disrespect to your's at all ) and going from the pic's, the effort/finish is absolutely superb, a real credit to you and all involved, id be well proud of it, its one of the cleanist 5's ive seen OE or not...

Well done fella, variety is the spice and its good to see this one, make's a refreshing change
    Thanks for your comments bud, i kind of agree with you, i would like to have it a little lower but i wouldnt get it out my garden if i did but i personally think for all round looks/handling etc 15'' is the best.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT Tricky Nicky View Post
    Not sure how i missed this

10/10 for quality and effort

My personal opinion is the wing and skirts are too much for the rest of the kit and i'm not keen on the back bumper but the rest looks great. I can see how and why it would be hassle to change them now.

Did you do the bodywork and spraying yourself?
    Cheers Tricky, i did all the bodywork prep myself and sprayed the inside, underneath and engine bay myself, i sprayed the outside but wasnt happy with it, this was mainly because i was using cellulose instead of 2pac, so i got a local man to put a sealer coat on then a top coat of 2pac and was glad i did. I have painted the mirrors and gutter strips (he forgot about these) and the dash again using the 2pac and the difference in quality is unbelievable but its not to good for the lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments bud, i kind of agree with you, i would like to have it a little lower but i wouldnt get it out my garden if i did but i personally think for all round looks/handling etc 15'' is the best.

thats the joy of a low 5...everywhere other than a bowling green is a mountain

Like i say me i were judging it asthetically...hard act to pull off, the show and go function with that kit...

Either way keep it up fella, its a nice whip thats a fact

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its been a while since ive even looked at the car let alone worked on it, so i took it out and gave it a wash. Im still in the i cant be bothered to work on you mood though, still got lots of jobs to do around the house, to much time at work, looking after the kids etc and im then struggling to find time to work on it

My list of things to do are, drop sump again then fill oil pump up with vaseline or similar, ive got no oil coming through the turbo oil feed.

Find out and make sure it is me turbo thats smoking,

Do a pressure test on the boost circuit as i think ive got a leak in the i/c, anyone got an easy diy way to test this.

Make some doorcards up in black vinyl.

Got to make a cover for my fusebox,

Theres probably a few more things to do but cant think now, im not going to get the car on the road till spring so got plenty off time.

Took a few more pics

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I love this!! Great job! o.e bores me personally, it's deffo a one-off!
    Only things I'm not that keen on is rear bumper/rear spoiler/tailgate and that steering wheel!
    Last edited by REBEL GT TURBO; 15-10-2012 at 21:04.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm amazed at how clean it is! Do you polish that rear beam!

Good work!

With regards the turbo oil feed, have a look at the samll one way valve thats inside the take off from the block. I have heard of them sticking and cutting off the oil supply to the turbo, worth a look before dropping the sump

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REBEL GT TURBO View Post
    Wow! I love this!! Great job! o.e bores me personally, it's deffo a one-off!
    Only things I'm not that keen on is rear bumper/rear spoiler/tailgate and that steering wheel!
    Cheers Rebel, what you dont like my super cheap bulgarian steering wheel neither do i really, money was getting abit tight and once id got it there was no turning back

As for the rest of what you said you dont like id totally agree, but id include the skirts. But as with everything it boils down to money, not that im skint but how much do you plough into a renault 5?

Im definately thinking of getting rid of the spoiler, but then ive got to get the holes welded up then buy the paint etc, or do i go for a standard tailgate with oe spoiler and paint that but then ill have to get oe rear bumper which isnt a problem but then ive got the pain of having a centre exit exhaust

Would a standard bumper (it would have to be smoothed though) look ok ish with that centre exit exhaust, because if it did then i would be tempted to go oe spoiler, tailgate and bumper, what your opinions peeps.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    I'm amazed at how clean it is! Do you polish that rear beam!

Good work!

With regards the turbo oil feed, have a look at the samll one way valve thats inside the take off from the block. I have heard of them sticking and cutting off the oil supply to the turbo, worth a look before dropping the sump
    Cheers Phil, i did a fundemental cockup in putting to much sump sealer on, which then fell into sump when i tightened it up, which in turn started to clog up the pick up strainer, i only noticed this when my oil light started to flicker at idle so i dropped sump took the strainer off cleaned it up, bolted the sump back on, then turned the engine over with oil feed into a container only to find nothing came out. Ive been told that i had to pack the oil pump with vaseline before hand, and that ive got an air lock

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting car. despite alot of negitive comments on the spoiler i think its suits the car, for me its just the side skirts that too chunky.
    i realise what you mean with spending more on it, but if you are wanting to change a few things there are usually people wanting to swap. just a thought from what i've spotted on this and similar threads:
    brizza wants some clear lights so worth a swap for std's and some cash before the others put him off, and the ph1 underlight trims would do someone for spares. the funds could get ph2 trims and paint to match the rest of the kit.
    i've seen a few wanted's for the rear spoiler, surely selling that complete with tailgate or swap would cover a std tailgate/spoiler.
    rear bumpers seem to go for cheap and since it would need modifying wouldn't matter if it wasnt mint so could be cheaper, i think mike has one with just the centre exit, without the plate recess.
    someone may swap the skirts for std's?
    and i think some fogs (or fine mesh painted white) would finish the front bumper off

regards the pump, if its dry you could just remove the dizzy and use a drill and the spindle of a spare dizzy to prime it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    interesting car. despite alot of negitive comments on the spoiler i think its suits the car, for me its just the side skirts that too chunky.
    i realise what you mean with spending more on it, but if you are wanting to change a few things there are usually people wanting to swap. just a thought from what i've spotted on this and similar threads:
    brizza wants some clear lights so worth a swap for std's and some cash before the others put him off, and the ph1 underlight trims would do someone for spares. the funds could get ph2 trims and paint to match the rest of the kit.
    i've seen a few wanted's for the rear spoiler, surely selling that complete with tailgate or swap would cover a std tailgate/spoiler.
    rear bumpers seem to go for cheap and since it would need modifying wouldn't matter if it wasnt mint so could be cheaper, i think mike has one with just the centre exit, without the plate recess.
    someone may swap the skirts for std's?
    and i think some fogs (or fine mesh painted white) would finish the front bumper off

regards the pump, if its dry you could just remove the dizzy and use a drill and the spindle of a spare dizzy to prime it
    Some interesting points there, ive got some spare oe lights but imho i prefer the clears, i have just looked at how much it might cost to replace tailgate, spoiler and bumper and youre right its not much, i can get the paint fairly cheap and can do it myself with fairly good results the skirts are abit more problamatic since ive blended them into the door cill (i didnt like the gap) that would leve me having to blend the paint in something im not to keen on, but it may well grow on me.

With regards the dizzy, are you saying that i could use an old one and get that to bring the oil up and cure the air lock?

Post Thanks / Like

wow! what a minty 5! my only dislike is the grille. the quality of work on this is better than renault themselves! keep it up dude.

Post Thanks / Like

if you remove the oil filter you can pump some oil down the centre to prime the pump.