Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

JP's little project

Well i decided a while ago to do a f7p conversion in my 5 I took the old 1.4 lump out and sold it to marky mark while i got on with the build. It has taken longer than i thought about 3 years so far lol. But on Friday i had it MOTed and it passed now its time to get it run in and then sent up to scoff to be tuned properly

Here are a few photots of what it looked like before the engine swap
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: JP's little project

So after the engine came out I had to source all the bits for the rebuild and i set about it and spent a small fortune hopefully worth it.

After buying a few bits i change my mind from the cast manifold and brought a different one at a good price and need to modify the bulk head to allow it to fit with a good size turbo after buying the manifold i changed my mind from a t28 and decided to go bigger so had to modify the manifold as well as the bulk head.

Few early pics of the manifold and bulk head thanks to the skills of Ross (tnt Hammond) and tnt andy and an angle grinder

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it coming JP - this is a quality build my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

In the build i wanted to do something a little different so i went on to source a head off a megane 2.0ltr 16v and decided that i would change all the valves and have it worked on by a local company. At the same time as buying the head the bloke who sold it was selling up as he had done a 2.0ltr N/A conversion in his 5 and gave up before fitting it. So he had a few other goodies i also brought a OMP rollcage, MLS head gasket, 285 cams and some vernier pulleys

Post Thanks / Like

Andy I'm really tempted to drop a photo of the finished car to tempt people so here are a few taken on friday

Post Thanks / Like

Will put more up in a bit got to keep the wife happy so the weekly shop it is lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so after the head was done i decided to sort the bottom end out which i treated to some wossner pistons a lightened and balanced crank and a lightened and balanced clio 172 flywheel. The block itself was sent off to scholar engineering to be honed and cleaned and painted in a not so nice cherry red (thought it would be nice but not so) also brought a nice oil pump which was second hand but never been used So while the block was away i cleaned up the sump and cam cover to get sprayed which i did at home and it turned out ok

The head was all put together with the manifolds and turbo and looked like this to start with

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting engine there mate - good thread

Post Thanks / Like

After wanting something a bit different i decided to get a inlet manifold made which took about 6 months to make it was due to a friend making it in his spare time so it held me up for a while but i think it was worth the wait. It can have the plenum changed so you can enlarge it if it needs it and the same with the runners too so it could be tuned more in the future

With the extra power i thought it would be a good idea to put some better brakes on. So I found some at a good price they too had been fitted taken off and not used think they are the 325mm hi specs. Also to help these work well the master cylinder was also replace for the golf one with a bit more capacity straight fit and the pedal is nice and stiff

Post Thanks / Like

After the brakes i looked into suspension and decided on some Gaz coilovers with went straight on but when putting the wheels back on they rubbed on the springs so i had to space the wheels out 6mm each side and change to a stud conversion on the front

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Block back from scholar engineering and wasn't sure on the block colour but kept it anyway so on with the build it took a while to put it all together but i now had everything i needed well thats what i thought but it surprised the hell out of me how many things you forget about when doing the build. Eventual it was at a stage where i could drop the head on and see what it would look like

Post Thanks / Like

So the engine was not the only thing being upgraded i also wanted a different dash in it and didn't want random gauges all over the shop. My main concern was if you have temp gauges everywhere i would be constantly watching them instead of the road. So I looked into it and the etb digidash 2 fitted with everything i wanted set able limits to warn me if any temps where too high or oil pressure too low

I asked a friend over for some help and to my surprise oliver (Os8472 or ipswich as he is also known) turned out to be quite the electrician lol so he helped me wire it all in

http://www.etbinstruments.com/DD2_lite.htm

Not the best pictures but will try and get a better one soon

Post Thanks / Like

So for the efi to run sweet i considered a few ecu's and came out with the best value for money and usability. I thought about the emerald setup as they are local but in the end i ended up investing in scoff and using the adaptronic ecu so a quick PM to scoff and one was winging its way to me well happy with the deal i got. Also all the relevant sensors and a loom where also acquired from the mad scientist as the car is just outside got the better pic from earlier and one of a shiny ecu.

Post Thanks / Like

nice project mate

expected output? and whats it for, road/track/pod or a little bit of all

Post Thanks / Like

Well it should crack the 300 bhp mark but want to sort the gearbox out as I have a jb3 on it at the mo and its for a little of everything once fully done

Post Thanks / Like

top banana

Post Thanks / Like

So once the top and bottom end where built I thought i would join them together with a MLS gasket and an arp head stud kit Now the fun would begin with the engine being mated with the original Gearbox and a 6 paddle 215mm helix clutch and cover plate went together with no real problems. Dropped it in to the bay and bolted it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Once the engine was in place i called on the help of a friend to TIG me a nice new down pipe I made the down pipe up from some stainless steel bends I brought off ebay and tacked them together and he finished it off for me turned out nice Heat wrapped them just as it was so close to the master cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Looking great mate!

However, i never knew arp did an head stud kit for the f7r?
    Very curious how this will drive!

Post Thanks / Like

Once the downpipe was made I had a few friends round (handy andy and oli) to help find places for everything else to fit in the bay namely rads charge cooler pumps and pipe work a few pics of the pmt crew in action well i say action it could well have been taken just after a dominos and no one looks too keen

Post Thanks / Like

It drives very nice at the moment it has done 140 miles so far with no issues Also not sure on the arp stud set for the f7r too i ordered it from a company in greece and they sent me one out but i couldn't find any other places that did them so weatrher it was a speacial order im not sure. It did set me back close to £200 for them thou

Post Thanks / Like

Once the downpipe was on I sorted out some injectors a fuel rail and some nice shiny new pipe for the fuel lines I got a set of 560cc injectors off an evo had them cleaned and they fitted ok and so far they dont seem to be leaking the standard rail was modded to take a feed on one side and a return out the other and some fittings welded in place I used torques off ebay for all my fitting and they have been fantastic with fast delivery and good quality stuff I also put a fuel tank in the boot and mounted a bosch pump under the car in the original place with a filter infront and behind the pump. All was going well till I tightened the pump fittings on the standard bracket and ripped the rubber on the bracket so another quick call to torques and another pump bracket was on its way a nice shiny ally one which worked well. Not the best pics but you get the idea

Post Thanks / Like

With everything starting to come together nicely i decided to sort 2 rads out one for the chargecoolers and one for the engine cooling. The ones i found best fitted the car where off a golf and short enough to fit them side by side. To be cheeky too i could fit a 19 row oil cooler behind the charge cooler one so it got a little cooler air Then only thing i had to remove was the front cross member but I have replaced it with something else will take a photo when im near the car next

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP Racing View Post
    It did set me back close to £200 for them thou
    Well i paid half of that for oe Renault ones so the studs aren't that badly priced!

Really love the intake manifold btw! What throttle body is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up JP - Good to see the gang back at it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just a universal throttle body off of eBay think it's 65mm internal works well also the inlet manifold was made by a friend. He made it to my spec it has cast alloy trumpets on the inside which you can change to alter the runner length and also the plenum can be changed too for bigger or smaller depending on what you want

Post Thanks / Like

Really love the idea you can fiddle with trumpet lengths and if mounting holes are same on both sides you'll be able to place the tb to the other side too

Do you happen to have some more detailed pics of it?

Post Thanks / Like

I did have will have a look for them

Post Thanks / Like

Thnx!

Post Thanks / Like

These are the only ones i could find but i will grab some more as soon as im near the car The photos with the thinner alloy where the throttle body sits was done first before i change my mind on the throttle body and if you look closely you can see the trumpets on the inside

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing left to do now was fit all the boost setup, including a pair of pace charge coolers which i had changed to take 63mm hoses, the exhaust system and the water hoses Charge coolers got sent off to be chopped about so they would fit where i wanted them and i had a look at a few hose companies on eBay to see if i could source everything i needed hose wise Mesured everything up and ordered everything i needed When the charge coolers came back i was ready to try and squeeze everything in the small 5 bay which in its self was quite hard. It took a while to figure out where everything had to go but finally everything fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Still had lots of tidying of odds and sods to do just to make sure everything was ok oh and the exhaust too got on the phone to my welder friend and asked him to weld me up an exhaust. I managed to order the bits needed, cut them to length marked which order to weld them up in and hey presto this is what came out I decided on 2 boxes to help with the noise sounds quite nice but sits quite low which i need to look at

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust done, on to the bonnet, i had decided i wanted to put some bonnet pins in so got to work and a while later they were on and worked ok. Bumper and grill all on and i thought to myself i should really sort them out so got my hands on a std front bumper and grill to be sprayed and put on but have yet to do that so this is how it looks at the moment same with the rear bumper i want to replace that more to a standard looking one but will sort it winter time when i have more time

Post Thanks / Like

Everything in place and thought i would start her up with a rough map from scoff it turned over and fired but then promptly stalled. I got the laptop out had a quick look at the map changed a few bits and had another go it fired again and then promptly stalled D'oh. After talking to a few people and sending some PMs too I discovered i had set the fuel way too low and tried again it started and kept running with ok afrs on idle. Changed a few bits on the map and it seemed fine Yep was well chuffed it was working even though my exhaust manifold was leaking .

Post Thanks / Like

When i had some free time I booked it in for its MOT and got to work on the manifold, nothing like having a deadline to work to. Got the turbo and manifold off had a look at the gasket that was fine thought to myself what else hadn't i checked so stuck it on a level surface and the mating flange wasn't 100% flat gutted took it to a local engineering place and a few hours later it was sorted so back on it went. MOT was the next day so fingers crossed it worked and ......................... nope still leaked. Next morning had to let the garage know it wasn't going to make the 9.00 MOT so stripped it down again and thought what else have i not done so thought i haven't pressure tested it, done that with a few pairs of nitrile gloves in the runners and hey presto it leaked where the t3 flange had been welded on. Another trip to the local engineer and dropped it off had it welded and picked it up. Put it back on all in time for lunch Phoned the garage and managed to fit it in for a 3.30 MOT.

Post Thanks / Like

So a long story short (3 years in the making) it went and passed So now to the next chapter which is running in and then having it tuned I have done about 150 miles so far with nothing wrong no leaks no bangs or squeals so in my eyes it seems ok Now got a few bits left to do to get her where i want it but its ready at the moment to take to national day So if your coming and want to have a look or a chat i will be there

Post Thanks / Like

so it has MOT now?

very good progress! really love this build! bay is a bit tight though

you say you want to crack the 300 barrier but i'm sure with this specs it should be more than possible, maybe even to break 400

Post Thanks / Like

excellent, looking forward to seeing it at Blyton

Post Thanks / Like

Yep all MOTed up, insured (thanks to sky insurance) and taxed been out in it a few times to make sure its ok. Went to see a friend the other day and his mate works at emerald and he came out for a quick drive to look at the map while i was driving and changed a few fueling bits too so it would be a bit safer Starts to pull at nice at around 3000 rpm but dont want to give it too much till it sees scoff for a final tune

Post Thanks / Like

Also its on adaptive fueling using set AFR's and a wideband lambda at the mo and seems to find its way quite nicely just a few tweeks are needed to the map which im doing today for it to run and drive fine. The adaptronic was a bit of a pain to set the sensors up but once running it works well

Post Thanks / Like

good to see the beast back

Post Thanks / Like

What turbo is on? Gt3071?

Post Thanks / Like

No nothing that speacial it's a T04e rebuilt with 360 degree bearings just wanted to see how it went with something that size before I spend lots of money on a better one

Post Thanks / Like

I have a gtx3076 chra for sale if u want to go big

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm sounds interesting what size AR housing does it have on the hot side

Post Thanks / Like

it hasn't any

bought a gtx3071r and 3076r chra(compressor housing rollerbearing assy) as i could get some discount and couldn't decide which one to use...
    hoewever i decided to use the 3071r as my power goals won't exceed it's limits

both brandnew btw

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I looked it up and realised my mistake pm coming your way

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little update I put the sensor in for the speedo today so going to go see TNT Andy in a bit so fingers crossed it will all be good for national day

Post Thanks / Like

Another quick update on the car i have now done the running in miles needed so time for an oil change and some nice new plugs and away we go to get it setup.

Also while i was at national day i noticed one of the french renault 11's had a cheeky little extra engine mount that i have copied a little think it works well after i took it for a spin but will see if it works on the rollers

Post Thanks / Like

thats awesome!!