Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

AFR'S all over the place

I have been trying to set my carb up, having resently fitted an AFR gauge (AEM). I have the engine running sweet by ear yet my AFR'S are about 17 at idel and go as rich as 10 whilst driving. I have had issues with my turbo leaking oil into the down pipe (all sorted now) is the a chance that my afr sensor in contaminated, if so whats the best way to clean it?
    Or maybe my carb needs a clean, how do i go about taking the idel jet out? Can this be done with out removing the carb?

Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFR'S all over the place

Sprayed brake cleaner onto where my big jim pipe meets the turbo rear housing, and rise in afr's. Will have to order up a new gasket and try and get a better seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Check compression ratios on the cylinders,I have just had the same problem,rings were fooked on one cylinder,may not be,but don't make my mistake by checking this last!
    It takes 10 mins,borrow one or buy from halfords 20 odd quid

Post Thanks / Like

Iv had this problem mate, found that my turbo gasket is leaking so not sealing right causing afr to read all over the place so gotta change them see what happens

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken the turbo and used some of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707138259...84.m1439.l2649

as well as the origanal gaskets, still got crazy afr readings. I have also taken the main jet out and given it a clean, however mixture screw has to be about 7 turns out before it will idel. Carbs only done about 1000miles since i bought it off Mike, (reconditioned) so don't think there can be anything wrong with it. I've ordered up new gaskets and will refit turbo again and see if it makes any difference.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123-gtt View Post
    Check compression ratios on the cylinders,I have just had the same problem,rings were fooked on one cylinder,may not be,but don't make my mistake by checking this last!
    It takes 10 mins,borrow one or buy from halfords 20 odd quid
    Got one coming from ebay so will check compression also, hope there's no issues here, as had engine rebuilt resently. Although had other issues with the garage that did the work, so it wouldn't surprise me.