Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's national Scoff Day

You have to be carefull though: One time we used a big wd40 can jubileed into the air filter pipe. It got to about 2 bar and I nearly lost my head as the can shot out of the silicone hose like a mortar round and hit the barn ceiling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    You have to be carefull though: One time we used a big wd40 can jubileed into the air filter pipe. It got to about 2 bar and I nearly lost my head as the can shot out of the silicone hose like a mortar round and hit the barn ceiling
    I remember haz showing me the day after, it was his new party trick!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Bugger dude if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. For some reason I've a gut feeling your issue is valve related don't know why just got that feeling.

And hope you and fluffy make it to national day for some beers.
    Dude - Fluffy will be there and on track, just down on power - next year maybe, I need that beer.

Post Thanks / Like

well you can, with an airline from a compressor anyway. I've put 2 bar in to C1J's before now just by blocking the air filter and dump valve if fitted. You can see leaks in the manifold and all kinds. It doesn't get past the valves as quick as you might think.
    On my list of things to do - I think TNT ross has a home made piece of kit to use. I'm gonna be busy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll do the same for the exhaust side of things also - Top tip this on is Scoffy

Post Thanks / Like

Just getting back on this now, got everything I need to to start putting back together and testing more.

I'l keep posting.

Post Thanks / Like

well you can, with an airline from a compressor anyway. I've put 2 bar in to C1J's before now just by blocking the air filter and dump valve if fitted. You can see leaks in the manifold and all kinds. It doesn't get past the valves as quick as you might think.
    Done this - It's amazing how many places it leaked - there are still 2 minute leaks that will need the engine out to sort, but they really are very small, one on the inlet manifold and one directly on the turbo compressor housing. that was at 30psi aswell, at 20psi you couldn't hear a peep.

Post Thanks / Like

A few other things checked now.

All valves lift between 9.3mm and 9.7mm

Cam is timed in @ 15deg atdc

the head is 73mm

Compression tests as follows.

1 - 140 psi
    2 - 150psi
    3 - 145psi
    4 - 149 psi

Checked everything bar for exhaust back pressure which I will be doing at the Renault Turbo UK festival. Everything seems to check out fine so far.

Any comments anyone?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you check the intercooler? Re what I said further up the post.. Get a boost gauge plumbed in and check how much boost the turbo is having to make for the engine to see the 23psi..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Did you check the intercooler? Re what I said further up the post.. Get a boost gauge plumbed in and check how much boost the turbo is having to make for the engine to see the 23psi..
    Ah no - forgot about that.

I'm going to get it back on the road tomorrow all being well and we'll see how much pressure she's really putting out, I can read this on my boost controller as it takes it's reading from the compressor housing.
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 15-07-2012 at 21:04. Reason: wer

Post Thanks / Like

Plumb my gauge I gave you in to the other side of the cooler Andy, last time I tested the pwr cooler core I think I had very very minimal change, 1psi rings a bell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT!hammond View Post
    Plumb my gauge I gave you in to the other side of the cooler Andy, last time I tested the pwr cooler core I think I had very very minimal change, 1psi rings a bell
    No need fingers Mc Ross - I've already got a gauge plumbed into the snail shell.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing 21psi @ tb and the same at the shell or there abouts. so nothing there. Just the exhaust back pressure to measure - everything else checks out.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn was worth a check.. One of my mates had the same prob, he changed loads of stuff and the car was still getting slower.. He went to a tuner he use's and that's what they found, the turbo was producing about 60psi and the engine was only seeing 30 lol.. So they looked and found that the cooler had collapsed inside..

Have u tried it without a air filter?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not guaranteeing anything Andy but I'm sure your problem is still cam timing related mate as unfortunately I had this same problem about 7 years ago had someone dial my cam in went on the rollers and for an engine and turbo built at that time should have see about 180bhp it made almost 140 for about 20psi down at glen t of dynotech came back got the cam timing re done again by someone else who showed the cam being 12% out and a few degrees can make a big difference went back on the rollers same boost and found 172bhp And that same cam is what I'm still using to this day which is still finding some good power I really hope you find the problem soon mate

Post Thanks / Like

Damn was worth a check.. One of my mates had the same prob, he changed loads of stuff and the car was still getting slower.. He went to a tuner he use's and that's what they found, the turbo was producing about 60psi and the engine was only seeing 30 lol.. So they looked and found that the cooler had collapsed inside..

Have u tried it without a air filter?
    Not since re-timing the cam, we did on my 1st visit to Scoff which made no difference and we where seeing 203bhp then. We simply run out of time last time I was there. Might be interesting to do some more testing now the cam is about right, it might be pulling a lot more air in top end and I'm seeing restriction there now. I'm going to have to leave it now as I can't justify another epic trip to try small things like this. I was out in her last night, and she still feels really quick, I'm not gonna get hung up on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    I'm not guaranteeing anything Andy but I'm sure your problem is still cam timing related mate as unfortunately I had this same problem about 7 years ago had someone dial my cam in went on the rollers and for an engine and turbo built at that time should have see about 180bhp it made almost 140 for about 20psi down at glen t of dynotech came back got the cam timing re done again by someone else who showed the cam being 12% out and a few degrees can make a big difference went back on the rollers same boost and found 172bhp And that same cam is what I'm still using to this day which is still finding some good power I really hope you find the problem soon mate
    Hi Phil - Yes, we would have messed around with this a bit more if we had a bit more time, It might be the next thing to go back to, to see if we can get any more out of her.