Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

my dream car coming true

well a five has always been my dream car and before attending fcs 2010 id never actualy seen one in real life, funny ino. after owning a few french cars (clio 16v's, 106gti's) i thort it was right ive gotta get a five.

and i bought this from a chap in bolton.

i didnt realy know anything about the cars an kinda bought it on a whim and was the first 5 id been in let alone drive but i thort it was amazing the whole 3 days it lasted that is . After joining the club i then realise what id done wrong an that was the 32psi of boost i was running on a t3 turbo with a completly standard engine ohwell learn from mistakes, atleast now im having fun building the car ive always wanted.

m
    the car looks clean and tidy an i could of just rebuilt the engine got a new turbo and have done, but i wanted to build and learn from it so i started to strip it down as i wanted to find any rust or problem areas before are started to spend any money on it.

so thats about it for now, the engine is out and in the process of stripping it , ive sold the seats, bonnet the old t3 turbo set up. Plan to strip it all out, re spray white but maybe red carbon bonnet , rebuild engine t28 turbo 285 cam, new front bumper as the one ive got it damaged new wings as there abit ripply , so lets crack on.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: my dream car coming true

Car looks nice...

Is that a private plate on it??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Car looks nice...

Was thinking the same D reg Phase 2 ????

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Car looks nice...

maybe he's a happy hardcore fan ..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    lmao....221bpm equals a headache in the morning ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Haha no its a d reg but some ones put a phase 2 kit on it, but tbh I don't really know as I've never received a log book an have no documents stating date of registration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck-dw View Post
    Haha no its a d reg but some ones put a phase 2 kit on it, but tbh I don't really know as I've never received a log book an have no documents stating date of registration
    Never recieved a log book??? I would be doing a data car check on the chassis number.... (I still would if I was you for £6 its worth it)

It looks like a ph2, full kit, interior... what turbo/header tank is on the car?

Never EVER buy a car with out a log book, I brought a scooter once with out one... i lost £400 as it was a stolen scooter... had keys & service history etc... alll stolen. I was 16 at the time, was alot of money to loose back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kentraider View Post
    lmao....221bpm equals a headache in the morning ....
    Old man

Nice car, get it checked over though as penfold says

Post Thanks / Like

Never recieved a log book??? I would be doing a data car check on the chassis number.... (I still would if I was you for £6 its worth it)

It looks like a ph2, full kit, interior... what turbo/header tank is on the car?

Never EVER buy a car with out a log book, I brought a scooter once with out one... i lost £400 as it was a stolen scooter... had keys & service history etc... alll stolen. I was 16 at the time, was alot of money to loose back then.
    I signed the logbook when I bought it but the bloke said he would send it of but I can't remeber looking at year of registration just presumed it was a d reg, the logbook has never turned up

Post Thanks / Like

you still got your slip for it? get that sent of and they'll send you a new logbook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    you still got your slip for it? get that sent of and they'll send you a new logbook
    Yeh still got it, I'll give it a go

The guy a bought it from bought it off dlampit off rtoc , so hopfully it's ok

Post Thanks / Like

ai, he may of forgotten etc, I usually give it month or so and if nothing shows up send of the slip you have

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I have recently bought an oil pump off that guy

He seemed pretty genuine, always replied and did send it pretty quickly.

So Id like to think he is ok to be honest. Maybe a PM just to confirm he has sent the documents off?

Post Thanks / Like

Bought something off Dan last week. Seems like a top guy.

Post Thanks / Like

The bloke I bought it from had it from him so it's the chap from Bolton I'm waiting on

Post Thanks / Like

well been off work today so been busy didnt get much as i liked done as passers by and neighboors took some interest.

before

neary done

i decided to get all the sound deading off aswell but wish i never it took ages and has left quite alot of mess ohwell.

found some rust

not to bad the other side

nice hole and rusty patch hiding under the tar sh*t

some more , i just thrown this out not worth saving a new one on the shopping list.

looks like i got away with them other side is in same condition.

there was also some bubblingaround the windscreen so i then reoved that to discover

nice littlehole

an thats about it for the rusty bits wich tbh im fairly pleased with as theres alot less the i thort there would be, so out came the engine.

my mates got most of my tool so had nothing to remove drive shafts or wheels

all the ****ty wires an crap removed

mate keeps widing me up an asking have i left the jack under it

so i removed the head sent it to local engineers to get skimmed and new valve stem seals and piper valve spring as the block sits
    going to remove sump send crank to get checked over new bearing, oil pump etc...

gave the gearbox a clean and painted it up couldnt resist giving the engine a quick do over although itll end up all mucked up again. already oil prints on the gearbox.

also got some new parts

new wings can you still get new arches?

well after doing that today i tried to remove the front windows but they started to piss me off so there a job for next time an hopfully im getting a few quotes for the welding and paint, im still unsure wether go red or keep it white?

as for the engine am i best getting a uprated head gasket or will a gsf had gasket kit do the job ?

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good days work there fella! Best go for uprated 'blue' headgasket think its part no. R11402(best check it1) from GSF comes as gasket set or just head gasket

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Old man

lmfao phil....very true bud
    i also agree with penfold and phil get it checked out matey

Post Thanks / Like

Mate nice little project, Look through mine on the projects page iam sat here thinking its a very similar situation

Rock on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Mate nice little project, Look through mine on the projects page iam sat here thinking its a very similar situation

Rock on

thanks buddy

and im getting alot of people asking how did i remove the screen well i watched a few vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dz2uDA9xJ0 along the lines of that but i went at it like a bull in a china shop an cracked the screen a little so out came the slede hammer an well job done

Post Thanks / Like

thanks buddy

and im getting alot of people asking how did i remove the screen well i watched a few vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dz2uDA9xJ0 along the lines of that but i went at it like a bull in a china shop an cracked the screen a little so out came the slede hammer an well job done
    The old wire trick round the screen... **** that i just hammerd the smeg out of it with a mask on, then hooverd up the mess... dont hammer the metal work though LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    The old wire trick round the screen... **** that i just hammerd the smeg out of it with a mask on, then hooverd up the mess... dont hammer the metal work though LOL
    well the wire job lasted around 30 seconds then out came the hammer

an your project similar situation if im looking at the right one yours looks stunning an well alot better spec than mine will ever be top work

Post Thanks / Like

Same as mine see my project as well my car was rusting like that

Post Thanks / Like

same here, its like deja vu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtmatt View Post
    Same as mine see my project as well my car was rusting like that
    Yours will be rusting up again it's been that long!!

Post Thanks / Like

nice work matey!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work.

Keep it white

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Old man

ok so i just did a quick text check on it

12 owners wich seems alot, no stolen or not scrapped wich is always good but its had one registered colour change how would i go about finding original colour it must of been a good job as the car is a bare shell and theres no signs of a different colour and it was registered june 1987 so its a phase 1 ?

Post Thanks / Like

check the vin numbers match the logbook. it may have been reshelled and then just listed as a colour change

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    check the vin numbers match the logbook. it may have been reshelled and then just listed as a colour change

havnt recieved the logbook seems like the old owner never bothered his arse to send it off

Post Thanks / Like

a proper hpi report might have the vin number on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Was about to say the glacier white is a normal on a ph2 (what all the ph1 owners saying i am wrong), how ever i dont recal seeing a D reg glacier white 5 before...

The paintwork suggested a respray at some point (if you going to put ph2 kit on your pretty much painting the whole car anyway)

I would be suprised to see if it has been reshelled (a full hpi check on reg & chassis number may help - cost around £10) i did one & even got a certificate for when i sell it on...

Post Thanks / Like

yeh ust putting the same kit back on it and its a phase 2 kit.

just had a bloke to come round to quote me for a repsray and work to be done, well i gotta ring him as he wants a think on the price is this normal

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats a mental amount of work for just one day! Are you keeping the OZ wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

yeh ust putting the same kit back on it and its a phase 2 kit.

just had a bloke to come round to quote me for a repsray and work to be done, well i gotta ring him as he wants a think on the price is this normal
    Tbh when most people that give you a price pf the top of there heads it normally ends up costing alot more.....

Those who take it away, give alot of thought tend to be more accurate.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my cousin owned the car for about ten years before i had it and he knew the previous owner well and both of them say it had phase 2 kit on the car , they said it was a phase 2 and i told them not a chance on that plate .
    it defo hasnt been reshelled or had a colour change and that sounds strange about the log book i defo had a log book for it when i brought it there is nothing dodgey about the car i can assure you

if i remember correctly one of those o.z wheels has a slight buckle dont hold me to it though my cousin put them on second hand

glad to see it being restored properly good work mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DLampitt View Post
    my cousin owned the car for about ten years before i had it and he knew the previous owner well and both of them say it had phase 2 kit on the car , they said it was a phase 2 and i told them not a chance on that plate .
    it defo hasnt been reshelled or had a colour change and that sounds strange about the log book i defo had a log book for it when i brought it there is nothing dodgey about the car i can assure you

if i remember correctly one of those o.z wheels has a slight buckle dont hold me to it though my cousin put them on second hand

glad to see it being restored properly good work mate

Yeh I have the slip with your name on it I think as the bloke I bought it from had it for about 2 weeks then sold it on said he bought it from Birmingham said he had always wanted one but couldn't cope with an old car so he took my address and told me he would send it off soon as he received it but nothings came through . I'll just have to go the post office

Still got the o.z will get them checked out seemed ok doing 70 down the motor way

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you need to get down the P.O. and get a V62 and send it off with the slip you have, costs as much as a stamp.
    Does nobody else think the colour of the front subframe is maybe an indication that something may have gone on? That the subframe has been changed if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    Yeah you need to get down the P.O. and get a V62 and send it off with the slip you have, costs as much as a stamp.
    Does nobody else think the colour of the front subframe is maybe an indication that something may have gone on? That the subframe has been changed if nothing else.
    What's wrong with the sub frame, really wished I'd joined here before buying a 5 atleast I'm at the right place now ay

Post Thanks / Like

Not criticising at all, I chose the easy way and bought one that needed no work so utmost respect.There is nothing wrong as such with the SF apart from you wouldn't expect it to be red on a white car and yes you are in the right place for help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    Not criticising at all, I chose the easy way and bought one that needed no work so utmost respect.There is nothing wrong as such with the SF apart from you wouldn't expect it to be red on a white car and yes you are in the right place for help.
    Ahrite some ones painted it , the engine was also painted blue, red, black was abit awful tbh but goes down to taste I guess

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol loads of people do colour changes to things i helped my cousin change this subframe cos he painted one fresh when that engine thats still in there now was in dont worryfor a d reg car its a good shell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DLampitt View Post
    lol loads of people do colour changes to things i helped my cousin change this subframe cos he painted one fresh when that engine thats still in there now was in dont worryfor a d reg car its a good shell

I arnt worried at all the only thing that does worry me is if it will ever get finished and drive again , sure it will though if I crack on

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just keepmyourself busy with it dont give up because you will end up losing interest will be mint when its painted up

Post Thanks / Like

well had a quote from a body shop and well close to £4000, is it me being tight as i thort that was abit steep.

I want the bumper strips smoothing over, delocked and the welding sorting out in the pics , he also want me to try and get hold of a new front windscreen panel from renault but £4000

Post Thanks / Like

You will get the car done for alot less than that, I paid around £700 for my shell done all my pannels and my cage

Leave the bumper strips to it looks so much better and more standard when you come to sell

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

see mike at gt turbo spares the corteco mellior blue set is the best head gasket and its roughly the same price as this one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    see mike at gt turbo spares the corteco mellior blue set is the best head gasket and its roughly the same price as this one
    Nice on buddy

Non-member Pete@Backyard Racing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah I remember this car! It was parked on my street so I came over for a look and a chat. You had just bought it. My blue 5 was on my drive round the corner. I'm glad you took my advice and joined the Rtoc.
    It looks like your getting stuck in alright.