Post Thanks / Like

Rear wiper woes..

Hi all well my rear wiper doesn`t work when I press the dash switch.The replay clicks for the intermitent wipe if thats what its doing,there is power to the wiper motor and when tested the motor is fine could it just be a dodgy relay or should I be looking elsewhere..thanks for any info..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rear wiper woes..

It could possibly be a bad connection on the motor itself.. If not make sure your earth is good.. Also check you've got a good 12v+ at the connection

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help all those suggestions seem to check out fine but to be honest not 100% sure how the set up works ie how the 3 wire set up works in the connector block will double check again tom thanks again..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

3 wire is normaly a common, a drive for the motor and a switched line for the park

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar issue with mine; heard the relay clicking and had power to the motor but my motor just didn't move at all.

Take the motor off the car and strip it down (dead easy) I cleaned mine out and lubricated it with WD40 and some fresh grease and it's now working a treat.

Post Thanks / Like

If the motor works and the relay is clicking, id be checking the wiring to the motor for breaks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brigsy checked that out I get 12volt at the plug end of the motor but not sure how the system works does it pulse 12v to make the intermitent wipe work? Thanks Alex I will give that a whirl anyway it wont hurt to give it all a clean up.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From memory I think it pulses it.......... but my memory's really bad!

Post Thanks / Like

have a butchers at the wiring were it exit the body and enters the tail gate near the hinges . it bends there and often brakes the wires

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for sounding like a complete muppet but as my car has no wiper motor is the operation for this one press one wipe or is it push button for on and then push again for off?

If it is just one press for wipe and theres a relay then I can use the wiring for a boot release option yes / no?

Post Thanks / Like

Push button for intermittent wipe. Press and hold for squirt..

Post Thanks / Like

I was testing my rear wiper today, and I have a very similar problem to this. I can hear the timer relay clicking, at the point it clicks I get 12v between the black and yellow wires on the wiper plug termianls, but the motor doesn't turn. If I connect the motor up to my 12v power supply then it turns perfectly, and when I connect it back up to the car (after testing on external supply) the first time the relay clicks it momentarily turns then stops.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the park switch in the motor? What does the other wire do on the plug (brown I think), I've looked in Haynes and it wasn't much help?

Is it possible to strip the motor to get access to the park switch? I've taken the cover off where the gears are, and that all looks like new. but no park switch in there from what I could see?

Post Thanks / Like

from what I can remember there are copper strips on the back of one of the gears that comes into contact with some contacts. the wiring if I remember correctly there is a 12v feed a negative and the signal from the relay for making it move. I know I took one look at it and bought another as it was some of the contacts had rotted away

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks, I'll have another look at it.