Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Few troubles on my new 5

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Just bought a 5 today and it needs quite a bit of work firstly it leaks quite a bit of oil from the back of the engine, is this common ? I imagine it's the turbo or something ? Where do I start?? Thanks for your help guys I'm getting back into the Renault game after a few years away

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Few troubles on my new 5

Quote Originally Posted by Benjer182 View Post

Just bought a 5 today and it needs quite a bit of work firstly it leaks quite a bit of oil from the back of the engine, is this common ? I imagine it's the turbo or something ? Where do I start?? Thanks for your help guys I'm getting back into the Renault game after a few years away
    sump plug, sump gasket, or rocker cover gasket.

look at them in that order.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok mate will do I think it's higher than sump but will take a look either way it's rust proofing the floor

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as a word of warning, on my old turbo extra van my rocker gasket split. This sprayed fresh oil all over a glowing turbo and manifold and started a pretty fire, right beneath the carb!

Get it checked ASAP.

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

turbo oil return, or the rubber driveshaft gaiters bolted to the box are a pain for leaking gearbox oil.
    Welcome

Post Thanks / Like

good old rocker gasket it sounds like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    turbo oil return, or the rubber driveshaft gaiters bolted to the box are a pain for leaking gearbox oil.
    Welcome
    I'd second the turbo oil return

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It needs a pair of drive shafts anyway, so that should tick that one off . I take it the oil pipe is a replacement ?

Post Thanks / Like

Its a 90degree rubber hose(coated inside so its ok for oil, normal hoses would perish quickly) theres two different sizes depending if you have ph1 return or 2. rocker cover and the return are pretty common, could also be leaking from the high pressure feed to the turbo.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

few other questions -
    1) my speedo and rev counter do not work but other dials do ? im led to believe by my dad who was a renault parts man for about 20 years that these are electric ?? as my golf they are not
    2)are these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Super-5-1-0-1-4-1-4-Turbo-1-7-1984-96-LH-Driveshaft-5054-/370539367981?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item5645de0e2d
    drive shafts any good as im on a bit of a budget
    3)what clutch kit do you guys recomend for a fairly standard car ?
    4)where do you recommend to get a rocker gasket and the turbo oil hose mentioned above from ?
    thanks in advance for your help guys i do appreciate it if you have links to these things thats even better

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

theres a connector near the airbox/strut, clean/wiggle that for speedo.. if not remove and clean the pick up after checking behind the dials..

if you want no extra power just get a sachs, want more power go green valeo..

ask mike 16v for a price on all the parts

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The drive shaft I put a link to above do any of you guys know if these fit ? As I'm looking at getting a pair but want to be sure they do

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think thats the correct driveshaft for a JB3 box on a 5 GT Turbo. I got this one from the same seller,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3705289508...#ht_555wt_1266

Seems to be the same as the one I took off so all looks good so far. They were really helpful so if you want measurements contact them.

They don't seem to have the correct o/s shaft, they did but sold out. Shame as I really needed one of those as well.

Beware though, as I have found out over the last few days. Some driveshaft refurb companies don't seem to check what they get back. They seem to just refurb what they get back in the box and send it out as whatever it was returned as. Went to get a o/s shaft from the local factors yesterday. Shaft was slightly too short and was missing the ring on the gearbox end. So they ordered another in, same supplier same part no. Went back today and that was blatantly a shaft from a lower spec 5, much thinner, shorter still and the driveshaft end was wrong too. Getting my current one refurbed now so hopefully there should be no issues, fingers crossed anyway.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for your help on that mate