Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Euro 2012

just thought id start a thread about the euros for everyone to discuss matches etc, did anyone watch the games yesterday? i thought the greece sending off was a joke tbh, and the russia game was decent (they should of won by more)

looking forward to the 2 games today especially the germany vs portugal game tonight
    Last edited by BluntyR5GTT; 09-06-2012 at 06:28.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Euro 2012

anyone watch yesterdays games? the holland result was a bit of a surprise and thought denmark stuck at it really well, germany won a scrappy game against a very dogged portugal side.

looking forward to spain vs italy and ireland vs croatia today

Post Thanks / Like

I watched yesterday, the Dutch guys played like sh*t!
    Binned my orange T-shirt after the game

Germany vs Portugal was more like it tbh! That was soccer how it should be!

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not mega interested but got spain in the pub sweepstake so i'll probably watch them and england's games if i get chance :-)

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thought that was a really good match just, italy have become my dark horses for the tournament

Post Thanks / Like

Well all matches have been good apart from the blockbuster last night!!

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

think ireland was beaten by the better side last night they look very good on the ball

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The fella in the yellow shirt is doing well for France

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bod 182 View Post
    The fella in the yellow shirt is doing well for France
    Shocking, mans a helmet

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what did we all think of the games last night then?

i thought england did well and we actually look like a side playing as one for once, defo more organised. still cant believe milner missed that chance.

ill be honest i only seen the 1st half of ukraine/sweden so i cant comment too much on that one but what i did think is that we should be able beat either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we did really quite well tonight. Better at keeping the ball than the old guard, better balanced and better at harrying in midfield than the old lot too. Joe Hart was ace, Cole very good, Parker everywhere, Ox-Ch exciting. France may have created more chances and were perhaps the better team but for the squad we have I thought we stood up and played well. Good show guys. Keep Cole and Gerrard, ditch Terry and we're there.

I actually thought Milner's chance was more difficult than some are saying.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

we certainly look more organised and all pulling in the same direction, thought gerrard had a real good game as well, also wellbeck had a touch of quality with him and didnt do much wrong.

so onto tonights games we have greece vs czech rep and poland vs russia, id like to see greece win but think czech will just edge them out. poland vs russia should be quite interesting but i fancy russia in that one

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The officials need to get there act together,cannot believe Ribery or cabeye weren,t booked blatant yellow cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    I thought we did really quite well tonight. Better at keeping the ball than the old guard, better balanced and better at harrying in midfield than the old lot too. Joe Hart was ace, Cole very good, Parker everywhere, Ox-Ch exciting. France may have created more chances and were perhaps the better team but for the squad we have I thought we stood up and played well. Good show guys. Keep Cole and Gerrard, ditch Terry and we're there.

I actually thought Milner's chance was more difficult than some are saying.
    Who would you replace JT with though? He is one of the best centre backs in the world, he's a proper centre back, puts his head where most would not even dare put their foot, great in the air for corners attacking and defending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJK08M7NxQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgxIV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjcs3lVGlw
    Last edited by rs250nut; 13-06-2012 at 00:17.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

atm i think terry is a good member to have there down to his experience and he is on his day a cracking defender, i still think jones and smalling are developing and just not quite ready for the big stage. I am convinced that when ryan shawcross leaves stoke for one of the bigger sides he will walk straight into the england squad.

did anyone watch the games yesterday? i only had chance to catch bits of each game. seen 1st half of greece game and 2nd half of russia match.

that group is still wide open but i think greece will miss out for sure. the poland vs czech rep match will be huge

tonights games should be very interesting, we have denmark v portugal and holland v germany. Now as daft as this sounds that group could be over tonight if both denmark and germany win.
    even if both games finish as draws they both go through, ill be honest and say i cant see holland beating germany and i reckon denmark will draw with portugal

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see Portugal drawing against the Danes, the winker loves playing against lesser sides!

They will be going for the win tonight, the Holland Germany game should be a cracker, I can't wait for it to be honest. The Dutch sides attacking nature will suit Germanys counter attacking ability, I can see a German win on the cards from this one. Shame as the Dutch have a really watchable and exciting style of football, as long as they don't play how they did in the world cup final

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, sorry gents, I should probably have said the reasons why I would leave Terry out -

- he's getting old and there are some reasonable young guys out there that could be given the experience during a tournament where expectation is low

- he's an utterly despicable, moral-devoid, self-obsessed, hideous specimen of a human being

Mainly the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the latter, how he can be a role model for the young players coming through I do not know. It's not just about what happens on the pitch that makes you a better player

I think we played quite well, better organised, quick to break. Never beaten the Swedes, really don't wanna leave it to the last match to go through

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, sorry gents, I should probably have said the reasons why I would leave Terry out -

- he's getting old and there are some reasonable young guys out there that could be given the experience during a tournament where expectation is low

- he's an utterly despicable, moral-devoid, self-obsessed, hideous specimen of a human being

Mainly the latter.

that last statement pretty much describes 98% of all high profile players today
    there all overpaid

Post Thanks / Like

Double

Post Thanks / Like

What a bunch of dutch idiots!

I wish i got paid that much to **** around a football field!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    What a bunch of dutch idiots!

I wish i got paid that much to **** around a football field!
    Definitely expected them to make a better fist of it than they have so far..............

Post Thanks / Like

Germans are taking the piss now

Post Thanks / Like

Germany, what a team, outstanding in every department

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    that last statement pretty much describes 98% of all high profile players today
    there all overpaid
    Even the lads that I play non league football can be muppets, think they are gods gift because they are getting payed £80 a game.

Sorry Trev not trying to antagonize you, just love having a bit of football banter.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what did you all think of the games last night then? i thought the denmark v portugal match was a good un, my god ronaldo must of been relieved when they scored the winner.

i only seen the 1st half and last 10 mins of 2nd half of the germany match, but what i did see was that the better team won and it looks like the dutch are going home early.

onto tonights games we have spain vs ireland and croatia vs italy

i would love to see ireland cause a big upset and beat spain but just cant see that happening so ill go for spain in that one, and i reckon italy will just about win against croatia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Even the lads that I play non league football can be muppets, think they are gods gift because they are getting payed £80 a game.

Sorry Trev not trying to antagonize you, just love having a bit of football banter.
    Why would you think I'd be unhappy with what you guys are saying? It's much the same as what I said/think.

The game at pro level is utterly fcked. The attitudes of most players is pathetic. John Terry just happens to typify the very worst of it.

All this said, I have to add, this Euro tournament so far has been the most interesting/exciting major tournament since Football came home in 96.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching England is like owning a 5, unpredictable, love it one min hate it the next, and just know in the back of your head it's all going to end in tears!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Same here

Post Thanks / Like

amen to the above, i literally hate our fecking team as much as i hate my renault

god i love my reanult

ahhhhhhh

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well i must say what a bloody rollercoaster that was with england last night think we went though every emotion possible in the 2nd half.

dont know how in the hell it ended up so close tbh, but milners tackle to give there free kick for 2nd goal was silly absolutely no need for it there. Was actually good to see walcott come on and look positive for once. welbecks goal was absolute class and deserved win the game, was a shame gerrard didnt put that one away at the end as he deserved a goal and terry was unlucky with his header that was a real top save.

my biggest concern is that we looked like the normal england last night after going 1-0 up went right back into a shell and it took 2 ****ty goals to pull them outter it.

Post Thanks / Like

blummin Keown at half time as well gibbering about how we need to take stock and sit back....what the hell was he on about, that the issue with England, we DO sit back after scoring one poxy goal and thats why we then give 2 away. if we just damn well stuck at it and got a couple, take the game to the opposition we'd be a far better and more dangerous side as its not like we havent got the players and the ability to score and win more convincingly.

having said that i was impressed at us managing to stick with the flow and pull it back last night, thats definately a positive sign, its just annoying that we shouldnt of been in that situation in the first place!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Carroll's finish last night was top class.

In all, more excitement from this tournament. Great stuff.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbergs second goal was a joke looked like he was waiting for a bus and hey ho the ball comes in and yes ill have that bang header in thanks very much oldest player on the pitch.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the Poland group outcome. How did Russia not qualify! Gutted for Poland.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the Poland group outcome. How did Russia not qualify! Gutted for Poland.
    Yep, really wanted the Poles to progress, some of the "air" goes out of these competitions when the hosts go out. Compulsive viewing so far though.

Post Thanks / Like

Pain both games are on at same time now, bound to choose wrong one to watch

Post Thanks / Like

Got to be Portugal v holland surely?

Post Thanks / Like

Good game that. Portugal look good. Would have preferred Denmark to go through though, I thought they deserved a place in the quarters.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

not really been online much to comment on this thread, have to say well done to england for topping there group, and i actually think we will beat italy tonight but then lose to zee germans in the semis.

id imagine it will be a spain v germany final and i quite fancy germany to topple spain

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted! Lions did us proud. England till I die!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfit (Gerrard pulling up with cramp at ~70 min's. WTF?!), still cr8p at penalty shoot-outs, Rooney had a terrible game, Milner hasn't done anything worthwhile all tournament, and virtually all the 2nd half & both extra-time halves the Italians had possession in our half of the field. From the hour mark onwards, you could see that we were holding out for the penalties.

We were only top of the group table given the lucky win against Ukraine (cue goal-line tech' discussion), and thanks to the Swedes beating France.

Still, at least this time expectations were low, so no major heartache (or surprise) that we're out the competition, and as Lineker put it, at least it now saves us from the humiliation of getting trumped by ze Germans. Again.

Same old same afaic.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how the team changed its ways since Rooney came back into it, as the pundits said, we'll always be a 5th,6th best team in the world. Nothing in that game last night shows we could be a superior team, a force to be reckoned with..... But a good start for Hodgson to build on for the world cup qualifiers

Post Thanks / Like

Well done on reaching the quarters and well done Roy, I think that was as far as they were value for. The back four looked very good throughout, except for defending quality balls over the top to feet. What went on ahead of the defence was sporadically very good but generally toothless.

- Lacking in fitness
    - Rooney added nothing
    - Young was by far the worst player on the field
    - Unable to pass the ball whatsoever from half time onwards last night

Mart, we won the group on merit. The Ukraine goal was offside. Sweden are a half-decent team who failed to beat us but who beat France, whom we held to a draw. Football is results based. You can't say 'if results of other games had been different such and such would have happened'. That much is obvious. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

What I meant, is that it was expected of France to beat Sweden.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, there are only 3 ranking places between them and with the now customary French infighting at major tournaments in full force, I think a Sweden fighting for pride was a good shout for that game. I didn't think France were that good and did about as well against Spain as we would have

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The bottom line is we're just not good enough - same old story!

Still............ we have the World Cup to look forward to, which we'll win - obviously................