Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project 12 Seconds!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ted View Post
    Get back at this phil I think 2015 is the year for fast 5s
    Cheers Ted, it's all this talk about retro day at pod that's got the juice's flowing again

I won't confirm my attendance until I'm sure I can make it but secretly That's my plan

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest of updates. This week hasn't gone fully to plan with regards time on the car. One of my daughters has been in hospital for 3 days and the Mrs's nose has been out of joint everytime I mention doing some work on my car. Same old same old really. Difficult balancing a driving school, degree and a family.

So I pulled the cover back for the first time since may last year. I was greeted by a plethora of micro organisms growing inside the car.

So I have some cleaning to do.

I re-assembled the head turbo and carb with a new water pump.

So in my half term break I have managed only this when the plan was to have the engine back in and running.

I managed only 1.5 hrs in the garage in total. Pants. I also started to rub down my o.e grill I have. It is slightly damaged and has a shonkey repair also that needs sorting. But nothing that's beyond a bit of time and effort. To sort.

Also all three of the connections between the bottom slats are broken.

Any suggestions on what to use to bond the back together and I'm guessing the repair will need taking back and re-bonding also.

Does anyone want to swap my Mrs with a more "car understanding" one

Post Thanks / Like

phil get a 1 or 1.5 mm drill bit and drill up from the bottom then using a small screw to give it some strength before using some plastic weld in the joint and screwing it back together.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

looking good Phil, can wait to finally see her on the rd, hope your all ready by go karting pal.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of progress at last

The bottom end is back in place.
    Refitted the clutch and flywheel and slid it back onto the box in the car. Haven't done it this way before. Was a bit of a ball ache wiggling the block back onto the box. The engine bay paintwork bares a few scars.

Taking it out using this method is however quick and easy. I suppose the fact you don't have to touch the driveshaft's or drain the box compensate for the arse about getting it back in.

I pulled it out from under it's cover and gave it a wash. it still looks ok from 6ft away so that will do

Screen surround is pissing me off more and more. dread to think what's going on behind that bulk head rust wise. Won't be getting sorted this summer I think I would rather enjoy using it for once.

I was this close to selling, had three offers for it in just two days after mentioning it on FB. I have come to my senses now and it's going nowhere for the time being.

Would like it taxed and MOT'd and running decent boost for the NW karting event in may. I will be done with UNI for the summer by that point also. Need a break after a busy 7 months.

Tonight/ tomorrow I will be fitting the head and plumbing the engine up ready to fire up at some point next week.

Post Thanks / Like

good work phil I don't mind unless ya get it to pod for retro day

Post Thanks / Like

Thats great to hear phil. looking forward to finally seeing her on the rd

Post Thanks / Like

After a long day in the garage where everything seemed to take forever and what could have gone wrong did. I was finishing up just now filling the lump with oil and coolant.

Went to bleed the coolant system and hear coolant hitting the floor , loose hose clip I thought. Checked them all and they were fine. Next on the list was the new water pump that's fitted, checked the gasket and it was dry all round.

Anyway spent the next 10 mins wondering where it could be coming from. Then I spotted it.

When I blow down the header tank coolant was coming from a bolt on the timing cover took the bolt out and it squirted out all over the garage floor.

It's the bolt right next to the coolant drain plug on the timing cover.

I'm guessing it's a water jacket behind said bolt that's cracked.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that happen before mate, when a bolt too long is used to hold the cover on it cracks the back of the block off so the whole goes right through to the water gallery

I have chemical metaled a stud in them before to stop the leak before, least it will stop the leak and save you swapping blocks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    I've had that happen before mate, when a bolt too long is used to hold the cover on it cracks the back of the block off so the whole goes right through to the water gallery

I have chemical metaled a stud in them before to stop the leak before, least it will stop the leak and save you swapping blocks
    That's what i have done mark, it had a bolt in the block when I got it and I just didn't notice. Damage was probably already done as when I removed the bolt it snapped like cheese.

I've chemical metaled it, we will see how I get on. Fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

After setting up the dizzy drive, and after some arsing about with the firing order she purred into life.

Let it get up to temp until the fan kicked in then turned it off. I had missed an oil cooler union on the rad and that was it. Let it get stone cold now then re-tourq the head and do the valve clearances again and it's good to go.

The chemical metal seems to be holding up well, I didn't even bother putting a stud in the hole just filled it 8mm or so deep with chemical metal putty and mushroomed it over the bolt hole on the on the timing cover. Seems ok so far. They rekon on the packet you can even drill and tap the stuff once it's gone off.

I'm now watching my back for other issues. The turbo is in the back of my mind because it's been on a fair few failed engines now. Just hope it doesn't shat it's self any time soon. There is zero play in the bearings and it spins nicely with some revs. At idle to it wasn't moving at all? I always thought it did?

Anyway time to start thinking about MOT/insurance and tax now.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like its back and its bad yep get the MOT sorted etc then get ya ass down to pod on the retro weekend to see if 12s is on pmsl

Post Thanks / Like

nice to see its nearly sorted. I know after my last rebuild I took oil, 2lts of water and other bits just in case I missed anything out
    will be good to see a few more 5's at the karting this year

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I always carry tools......and spares. I'm just hoping I don't break it in a matter of weeks again. I should really set it up for 20lb boost nice and reliable. I just can't help myself tho.

My engine casualties box is full enough already. I've got melted pistons, pistons that are all chewed up from a valve guide that shat it's self. Bent valves, you name it.

Sick of insuring mot'ing then taxing......then having it sat there broke after a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Shakedown done, oil pressure is good, spanked it a bit also with the boost set up as it was before the melted piston. 24psi felt awesome, it conked out on me because the idle jet got full of shite from all the boost pipes lying around for months. Flat battery meant I had to push it home........ Broke a sweat that's for sure. Was a good quarter of a mile home.

It conked out as I was doing a u-turn at the end of the road. That was fun, stuck across a junction with no bonnet on or tax mot or insurance.......

Just don't ask what I do for a living as well as study engineering

Post Thanks / Like

Few pics, of the dirty engine bay and one of an o.e grill I bought months ago mocked up for fitment. Needs a bit of trimming and some repair work but it should look well once painted and fitted properly.

Better than that got awful R19 style grill anyways, lord knows what I was thinking when I purchased that from prima racing for £120......

The yellow car is my neighbours series 2 Lotus Esprit.

Post Thanks / Like

Spot the bodge!

Really not happy about this but I suppose it's better than taking it all back out and swapping blocks.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good bit of work this Phil, I just hope that liquid metal stuff holds out. I suppose there's no reason why it won't.

I need to crack on with my GTT actually. I've nothing major I need to do but do have a but of a list building up.

Love that S2 Esprit, my brother used to own one in gold!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    Better than that got awful R19 style grill anyways, lord knows what I was thinking when I purchased that from prima racing for £120......
    The yellow car is my neighbours series 2 Lotus Esprit.
    Ha ha, I too thought the R19 Grills looked the biz back in the day. Make me puke now!

Do love an old skool Esprit. A mate has an S1.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here need to tax and mot mine too. Have to come in that to the karting i may also be swaping my 1.8 vag turbo for a clio 182 fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Did a bit more on the raider yesterday.

Fitted a new alternator, a few new coolant hoses, new engine earth strap, new 90 degree distributor, made some adjustments to the boost circuit and gave it a wash. I also went through it and made sure it's ready for an MOT that will get done at some point next week.

Once that's sorted I just need to tax and it's ready for the road.

Took it for a cheeky spin yesterday and did a bit of afr fettling. It's the first time I have ever run standard compression. Felt a bit more perky off boost for sure. At 22lb boost I was fueling 11.5 arf upto 7k in forth.

The wheels were spinning up in third with ease.

I'm not so sure how the turbo has faired after being on my long list of failed engines. I only did about 3/4 miles and there was a some oil in the boost hoses and in the compressor housing. The bearings feel fine but it's never in all the time I have had this turbo ever spat that much oil out for such a short journey. It was only a bit but my guess is it's not going to last much longer. I've had this t28 for 6 years and it's done about 10k or so. I suppose I will find out over the next few weeks. If it fails tho I'm not in a position to get it rebuilt or replaced for a while. We will see.

Post Thanks / Like

that's coming along nicely

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good fella .

Post Thanks / Like

if the bolt for the timing cover is what you've bodged, its very easy to drill and helicoil it, just engine out job

i helicoil'd all my sump bolt holes when i rebuilt mine was super easy drilled out lovely and quick and taped nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

The bolt is an immense bit of bodgery. I just was not up for taking the whole lot back out, it took me nearly 11 months just to find the time to source the engine remove the old one and drop the replacement one in. That's what happened when you have 4 year old twins and a driving school and studying a degree 60+ hour weeks plus my Mrs works a full 40hr week also. Time really was at an all time premium.

Plus if it is the water jacket behind that's cracked then even drilling and tapping won't sort it. It's gonna get thrashed within an inch of it's life anyways so I'm sure it will be out again at some point......

Should be getting it's MOT this week and some tax, then it's going to the NW karting day for it's maiden thrashing. I've got a title to defend so I hope it makes it
    Last edited by GTphil; 18-05-2015 at 17:04.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Phil

Post Thanks / Like

MOT sorted for another year Fingers crossed I manage more than a few weeks without destroying the engine this time around.

Post Thanks / Like

First time out in the five on Sunday for a over a year managed 150 odd miles with no issues

This bottom end seems to be very healthy, makes 48psi oil pressure at 3k rpm and anything over 3k it's 50psi. New water pump definitely helps keep the temps a little lower. And the timing cover bodge is holding up just fine.

I did 5 or 6 7k rpm runs at 20psi with the fueling at mid 11's all the way round

I also sprayed and fitted my o.e grill. Makes such a difference to how the car looks.

Next stop the Retro show at pod. All I need to do is get it running 24psi and fine some childcare for the weekend. Fingers crossed with 24lb it should drop into the 12's
    Last edited by GTphil; 25-05-2015 at 09:14.

Post Thanks / Like

At 24psi you should be in the 12's with good tyres mate, you aiming for high or low 12's?

Nice to see its back up and running

Post Thanks / Like

Just a 12 It's been long enough since I set the goal.....

It's a standard comp motor, first time I have ever ran one. I did a few tickles of the throttle at 22lb and it felt quick. Hard to tell as it's been so long since I have driven it. I have know quite a few o.e c/r c1j's have done 230hp at 22lb with a 285. So fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    Just a 12 It's been long enough since I set the goal.....

It's a standard comp motor, first time I have ever ran one. I did a few tickles of the throttle at 22lb and it felt quick. Hard to tell as it's been so long since I have driven it. I have know quite a few o.e c/r c1j's have done 230hp at 22lb with a 285. So fingers crossed.

last best try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbiVuZcp-rw

Post Thanks / Like

Was funny when the bloke in the s3 did a double take when I started pulling away

My terminal speed dropped for some reason at pod that year, the year before it was 107mph o think I had a boost leak as I had just fitted the front mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Went out last night for a bit of a boosting session. Put the old French slag through her paces. It appeared to take it all in it's stride. Had a few small issues with the king lead coming off, and also the rad came out of its mountings at the bottom. To many full throttle launches

Went to see a pal who has just purchased a new Golf R. Had a good old play and was surprised it was pretty level pegging between that and the raider did a fair few fourth gear pulls at 20lb and it was pretty much even stevens. He was also in fourth, I was pretty shocked to be honest how even both cars were I was expecting to be shown up. Golf was better on the launch with the 4wd and stability control. The five just couldn't put the power down in first and second.

I had a blast in the golf also, some motor that is

So the raider must be making around 190/200 hp at 20lb as the R is 300hp but a bit of a lard arse

Post Thanks / Like

Awsome been a passenger in a golf r they are immense. glad to hear your 5 is running well

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't they just, my mates is blue. Having said that he has already had to have a full new engine under warranty Oil pump failed and took out the rod bearings and turbo That was after just 900 miles.

He is now wanting a remap to up the power a little I let him have a go of the raider also, he loved it until it spat the king lead of at half way through 4th gear

Post Thanks / Like

The first post in this thread was 02/06/2012.

So after finally deciding I was gonna head down to the retro show at pod this year and sorting childcare and what not. I was all set to set of at 9:30am Saturday morning from mine. It's a three hour plus journey from mine to pod. I was just heading past Keele services on the M6 when all of a sudden the engine died and wouldn't start with no spark. I also noticed that the fuel pump wasn't priming either. After a few phone calls and lots of arsing about on the hard shoulder I decided to ring the AA.

When the bloke asked me if I wanted to go on to pod or head back home it took a couple of minuets to decide that pod was the target and at all costs I had to make it.

I arrived at pod around 7pm to a rapturous reception exactly as you should if arriving on the back of an AA van. Was a nice ice breaker and got everyone chatting. After half hour and some good old rtoc club spirit the raider fired into life. Turns out the issue was some crimp connectors installed by an auto electrician maybe 6/7 years ago when he was removing an immobiliser. Then after an evening full of Banta and laughs the morning arrived. I was up nice an early getting everything sorted. Even found the time to rob some of James's flash car shampoo and give it a wash. Got my wrist band, turned the suspension to stiff fitted the slicks and did a last minuit check over of everything.

Lined up for the first run and didn't launch it all that well. Always takes at least 1 run with drag slicks as the level of grip is huge. It dropped slightly out of spool in second and that run ended up being a 13.4 @104mph. That was with 22psi boost.

The afr's were 11.2 through first second and third then 11.4 in fourth over the line. So I was sure i had some room for some more boost. So I upped it to 24/25 lb for the next run. I had the steth on and was gonna watch the afr's carefully through the run. This time they were 11.6 through the low gears then in fourth they were 11.8/9 and just touched 12 as I went over the line. Think it was about 6.5/8k rpm

The launch on my second run was a million times better and it hooked up in second and propelled me down the strip in what felt like the quickest time i have done for sure. Then just as I was turning left to back and join the cue it started to run a little lumpy. Checked the rear view mirror and saw the tell tail white smoke from the exhaust.

At this point no one was about who had seen my run. So I opened the bonnet and was greeted with coolant everywhere and empty header tank. I was surprised at this as the afr's were only flat 12 for a second or so at the most. More decisions to be made. Seen as the head was going to have to come off anyway this was the first course of action. We also set about finding all the parts we needed to get it running so i could drive it home. It wasn't to be tho as it was a cracked liner on cylinder 2. Gutted.

Anyway onto what time it ran, I knew it felt quick but wasn't quite expecting a 12.7 @ 109.88 mph. Buzzing wasn't the word. Even if it was a bit soured by the fact I had just broke it again.

I will update the thread on the leader board when I get chance with all the details.

Here is a picture I took at 6:45pm in a deserted Santa Pod whilst I was waiting for the AA again.

It's taken nearly 4 years and countless hours of work to get a 12, along with lots of help and advise from rtoc and from mates. I'm pleased with the fact it's done it but somehow can't rest untill it does it then drives home afterwards. So that's the next goal

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good little read there. Not a bad goal either lol. I had a quick word with you whilst you was putting your wheels back on. I liked your remark of I got a 12 though when I grimaced at the fact you'd cracked a liner.

Post Thanks / Like

great to meet you phil your a true inspiration, well ya got ya 12 boyo, well done and a c1j too

awesome work buddy, hope then w@nkers didnt charge you the £500 they wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Great read mate, good to see you finally made it into the 12's.

Don't seem to be too lucky with the engines you put in though

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuur View Post
    Great read mate, good to see you finally made it into the 12's.

Don't seem to be too lucky with the engines you put in though
    Phil you have as much luck as me but well done for getting in the 12's, good to meet you aswell

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Phil top run for 12 seconds. I managed a 19, 18 and the last one was so bad i didnt bother checking glad you got home finally lol. Look forward to the next part of the rebuild you are an inspiration to the rest of us.

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to meet you phil, well done mate shame about the liner but im sure it was worth it

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

An awesome result and don't forget this was only on his second run, if Phil had gone down a few more times then I'm sure that time would have been bettered - low/mid 12's maybe?

A shame about the liner but It'll fix. I wonder why it cracked Phil? If the AFR's were 'o.k.' and no debt? Old liner? Maybe some water got into the cylinder? Whats the next plans for Project 12?

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Phil, shame you couldn't fix it. I was impressed at how quick you took it apart to try and fix it. I was chatting to you about setting the clutch ratchet,
    Thanks for your help, got it sorted.

Out of interest what does a standard R5 do the 1/4 mile in? Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteR5 View Post
    Out of interest what does a standard R5 do the 1/4 mile in? Anyone know?
    its in the 15's i believe matey

Post Thanks / Like

Lol i did a 18 with lots of backfiring and hesitation in all gears. My target is 14seconds. I would be optimistic and say 12 like phil but man doesnt he just love to kill engines he did offer to take mine down the quarter mile properly the car must have heard him and refused to start.lmao

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    Standard quarter mile is in the 15's i believe matey
    I think the official figure is 16.1 Mick. It's definitely in the 16's, I know that much.

Top stuff Phil.

Post Thanks / Like

BRAVO

Saw this on FB, but great little right up on here Phil, again seen on FB your ill health, study, kids etc........so a MASSIVE for getting the 12 seconds and love the optimism for next year

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite the problems it good to see you finally cracking the 12's and as discussed a mid to low 12 is in there, if it all holds together. A shame we couldn't get a liner sorted so you could have convoyed back but you would have more that likely done it again as we attracted some attention including a gobsmacked 300bhp focus St owner
    Unusual fault, pull it apart and try again