Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Freebie phase 2 restoration

Hi guys

Here's my lastest project, I'm gonna need a good welder and a load of parts but at least it will be solid....when I finish!

One sick battery tray

A few body shots

Low mileage lol

Seats will be getting skipped!

Areas that need attention!

Might need a plate here!

Small scab on windscreen panel, result!

A poorly engine bay!

A nice rust/sunroof free roof

The car has done 47k, I think it's an '89 shell but haven't had the logbook through the post yet, it's a non sunroof model which is a bonus!

If anyone has an old campus or turbo which has been cut up for panels I'd like to know as I need a few bits, mainly the OSR window ledge and a battery tray under panel?

I'm hoping to respray the shell in glacier white

I'm very tempted to get it running, all it needs is a few bits putting back in the engine bay after a core plug rotted after sitting for years

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated

Cheers

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freebie phase 2 restoration

id get that whole thing apart mate.. windows out.. seals out.. windscreen out.. skirts off.. get it down to the metal work and see exactly what your playing with buddy.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats the front winscreen rubber hiding.....

As i have said this will be a huge restoration job, long term, alot of money... But will be how u want it if you do it correctly.

Would reckon this is one of the worst 5's i have seen.... But i know others have restored worse...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Whats the front winscreen rubber hiding.....

As i have said this will be a huge restoration job, long term, alot of money... But will be how u want it if you do it correctly.

Would reckon this is one of the worst 5's i have seen.... But i know others have restored worse...
    I'm hoping the screen isn't too bad, I didn't think the shell looked too bad oops!

I've got no time limit and a nice big garage to pull it apart, I'll start end of next week

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i would seriously concider buying a late model campus without the rust and reshell it into that, if you wanna keep the gt turbo identity there are ways and means but it will save you a lot of welding and be a far cheaper and easier job, also gives you some other spares to replace broken parts with

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 5 worse than that that i got back on the road my mate now owns it member on here,it cost a few quid but its doable depending on your budget and patience as for parts pm Mike gt spares on here top bloke and will everything you need good luck

Post Thanks / Like

no need to reshell, just get friendly with a welding plant. id budget for 2x full sills and inner sills, probably rear bumper brackets, hopefully you can save the screen, as you say chop the battery area from another car, and probably end up replacing that door.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at my project THREAD mate, the body work starts at the bottom of page 1. My shell was in similar condition, nowt that can't be sorted with the right kit!

If you don't have a welder you want to buy a half decent MIG set, something with around 160 amps.

Let me know if you need any repair panels for the sills or rear bumper brackets!

Ashy.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a huge task. Good luck mate!

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Blimey thats abit of a weldathon you got ahead of yourself there but its nice to see another saved instead being stripped for parts and scrapped

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the comments guys, deffo not reshelling it, just enquiring about a few patches that I can weld in, then I hope to start stripping it shortly, gonna bin the interior and get a mint one with a nice mint carpet hopefully

Cheers

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your project. I was looking into acid dipping my shell to kill all the rust and start fresh but decided that would be over kill for my self, for you I would recommend it as something to look into. Saying that though you may find it difficult due to the lack of places that offer that service.

Personally I'd keep the seats and speak to cobra about replacement covers and get them to re trim the door cards and rear seats, wouldn't be oe but you couldn't get fresher than new as all you'd be able to get would be second hand in good condition. Again it's a shame you're so far away/remote as I'd have the seats off you if you were getting rid.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no where over here that does acid dipping, having checked the screen surround today it seems to be ok, I took the rubber out and it looked ok, real test will be when I cut the screen out I spose!

Does anyone have a campus or scrap 5 turbo they are cutting panels out of? I'd be will grateful for a battery tray panel and a small patch for the rear qtr?

Cheers

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

didn't think there would be.

best bet would be to speak to mike @ gt turbo spares

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike sorted me out with a few sections, but he said most were rotten around where the rear qtr meets the sill!

Your car looks pretty similar to how mine was! Must be black 5s which are on islands and therefore close to the sea!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yer they do seem similar lol, I think when I replace both outta sills that the pieces you replaced should cover the corners, mine aern't quite as bad? I'm going to cut up the rotten door and make a few patches out of it before I dump it, thats the best way I feel.

Weather permitting tmw I'll make a start stripping the interior out, I've lifted the carpet and found think almost like foam backed sound proofing? is this standard or added later on?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sound proofing sounds like standard. Its in sections but goes all the way up to the top of the dash.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks, I'll post pics up tmw of the floor pan etc, underneath looks ok, fingers crossed the floors ok!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I took the interior out today, the front seat bolts were hard to undo! got these out and the rear seats etc, took the carpet out, it was in about 6 sections, double sided taped and stapled together?! the floor looks ok, inner sills are shot in the corners, nothing major, also a few small areas were a patch or 2 are need but overall not too bad!

I'll post pics up shortly, next step is taking the dash out and also the headlining!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The car will be getting moved to it's new resting place for the next 12 months or so this weekend, I'm also about to buy a new mig welder as mines crap!

I'll post pics sat when it's been moved..