Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

My money pit.

My money pit. Or at least one of them. This is a small soundbite of the last few (many) years. The car has been a complete legend reliability wise despite me screwing the life out of it at every opportunity.... I have to clean tyre rubber off the bumpers FFS. It just sucks it up and asks for no more than routine maintenance.

I dragged this car from a scrap yard after a fire around the turn of the century.

Then I bought this disaster:

And shelled it into the crispy fried one.

Retro car show main stand a few years back after it was featured in the magazine:

[img][/img]

It was then left stood for long enough to go mouldy after the arrival of childrens (expensive little buggers aint they!). I bought my firstborn back from the hospital in this car:

I bunged a rather large intercooler at the front:

New Plenum:

Lobbed a bucket seat in and stripped the inside out.

And made this from the leftover leather seat, for GT5 fun:

Not quite sure what I was doing here:

I do, however, know what I was doing here (Yes, 4wd) :

2L NA front end fitted as the 2-cell Turbo lights didnt fit with my intercooler :

Milestone (ish):

Relocated battery:

Filled battery space with a swirl pot and pump:

Changed the brakes (again) after a disc nearly broke in half:

Decided I best upgrade the brakes. The car is wholly too fast for measly 285mm discs and i'm really struggling to maintain high speeds when chasing my buddies F-RS/Atom/Fezzer/RS4/Vantage.

It also has a 38mm external wastegate and screamer pipe, mild hybrid T3 with a cossie back end with the wastegate welded up, a 3" turbo back mandrel bent exhaust and a few other tweaks around the car.

Coming back from Scoff's place after the Adaptronic was wired in, finally. I say finally, as I bought my unit almost ten years ago when Dave G was dealing them. It's taken me this long to get it fitted

So. It's running on an internally standard J7R, OE management, OE fuelling and everything. The engine has never been apart from leaving the factory. It pulls like a nutter....I took this but the delay on the camera lot me a few mph after I lifted off. I hit the button at 150....and it does this regularly (on a private road of course).

Bazzing around France with it's friends:

The new engine destined for the bay has been around about eight years in development and building, mainly because of the cripplingly expensive, bespoke parts, and the arrival of a mortgage and 2 kiddies along the way.

More to follow shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My money pit.

i remember many of your cars, and also the fuego turbo quarter maile car, you was the man with the parts for every renault, i had the red phase 1 5, and the cabriolet in purple and silver, the 9 turbo etc from southend on sea, also met up for a renault meet at the b52 cafe if you remember...

Post Thanks / Like

what is the light showing on your dash on the right?

Post Thanks / Like

that would be the abs light its going to quick to read the abs ring

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ted View Post
    that would be the abs light its going to quick to read the abs ring
    Yep. Since fixed, they just needed a clean.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex johnston View Post
    i remember many of your cars, and also the fuego turbo quarter maile car, you was the man with the parts for every renault, i had the red phase 1 5, and the cabriolet in purple and silver, the 9 turbo etc from southend on sea, also met up for a renault meet at the b52 cafe if you remember...
    I remember, hello matey

Still got my 9, and the Fuego on top of the 21. Should be new threads on here for both soon!

Your old 9 dead now then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post
    I remember, hello matey

Still got my 9, and the Fuego on top of the 21. Should be new threads on here for both soon!

Your old 9 dead now then?
    the 9 lives on with a guy on here i think, hes restoring it, ive got a raider now, just sitting in the garage doing nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Mike at gt turbo spares has your 9 al. If I remember correct. I had posted a pic of it on the 21toc !

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Decided the adapters for the calipers I made needed a change, in that the threaded hole for the radial mount needed a bit more meat, but because of the shape I couldn't just thread it down further (see pic). I decided to sleeve the hanger like so...

A friendly machinist did a great job, exactly what I asked for.

Then we TIG welded the bases in

Skimmed the tops flat and TIG'd the tops too....no wire though just melted the tops in so it didnt stick up.

Finally I cut the M10 bolts to the right length to use all of the new thread, but without bottoming out.

I did initially want these done in ally but as a one-off it was quite expensive to get it drawn up on CAD and machined as I don't "know" anyone in the biz. These are made from stainless and cost me about £40 all in, most of that being fuel running them around to the machinist/welder

Weight wise, the caliper and adapter are about the same as the OE caliper so I can live with it for now!

All in all the 330mm brake upgrade has cost me about £650....bearing in mind the only bolt-on kit for this car is 325mm and north of £1200 retail and the SAME calipers and pads (!) I'm quite pleased

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Long awaited, final main components for the bottom end. Conrods rated, apparently, to 800hp and 10,000rpm so I should have plenty of safety margin! ARP bolts were included too

An absolute steal at £120.

...per cylinder :rofl: