East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chinese Turbos And Rebuilds

I know the old saying 'never buy a Chinese copy' but I've seen a few people use these cheap chinese turbos, some with half decent results.

Is it worth buying these cheap turbos and then having them rebuilt with decent bearings and seals?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chinese Turbos And Rebuilds

I would have thought if your gonna bother rebuilding it anyway, you'd be better off but buying a cheap garrett with nackard seals and rebuilding that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chezzer85 View Post
    I would have thought if your gonna bother rebuilding it anyway, you'd be better off but buying a cheap garrett with nackard seals and rebuilding that.
    Thought about that but there's bugger all the right sorta size that I need

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be tight, just buy a proper one straight away, probably cheaper in the long run!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is ask turbo ted! All the **** he's given his Chinese/garret internals, 30psi was it?
    Not a mm of play!!!!!! So I'm expecting a life time of boost at 20psi with it lol

Best asking him what and where he got it rebuilt
    R
    See you buy a t34 off eBay- send it blunty for it to have genuine garrett 360* put in it for £285 So can you buy a genuine t34 for 430 quid?

Bet some one will post a link now.....FAIL for me

Post Thanks / Like

buy a chinese turbo for £150 quid and then take it to turbo developments for a rebuild with genuine garrett 360 thrust bearing at £120 quid,total £270 dyno tested and santa pod trashed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ted View Post
    buy a chinese turbo for £150 quid and then take it to turbo developments for a rebuild with genuine garrett 360 thrust bearing at £120 quid,total £270 dyno tested and santa pod trashed.
    That's pretty much what I thought you'd say, decision made then.

Tell me what you think of these specs then chaps

Turbo model
    GT28 GT2870-1
    bearing type: wet float bearing
    cooled type: oil and water cooled
    horsepower: 250-400hp        

air inlet 3" air outlet 2"

turbine housing flange Standard T25 Exhaust outlet 5 Blot

Compressor details Turbine details
    inducer 54.13mm inducer 65.00mm
    Inducer 70.00mm exducer 56.00mm
    a/r 0.60 a/r .64

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

go for it , will make the numbers your after and a bit more

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive done the cheap turbo thing and sure it works ok if you put some decent innards in, but it wont perform anything like a modern GT garrett or similar. Wheel design has moved on leaps and bounds. If you can afford it, put the extra to it and buy a GT2871R, it'll last forever, it'll be ball bearing and theres good prices to be had if you do your homework. If you're really on a budget then fair enough, just make sure you have it built up with real bearings before you use it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Ive done the cheap turbo thing and sure it works ok if you put some decent innards in, but it wont perform anything like a modern GT garrett or similar. Wheel design has moved on leaps and bounds. If you can afford it, put the extra to it and buy a GT2871R, it'll last forever, it'll be ball bearing and theres good prices to be had if you do your homework. If you're really on a budget then fair enough, just make sure you have it built up with real bearings before you use it.
    That one I sold you lasted 6 months was it with Chinese internals?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    I decent roller bearing turbo is my end target and for the difference in cost between a GT2871r and GT3971r I'd go for the GT3071r but facts are these I don't have a spare grand+ sitting round and even if I did itd probably spent on the car anyway but I don't and the turbo I have right now is way too small for the job and if I wanna make national day with a half decent amount of power I'm going to have to go with the cheap option for the short term and before everyone starts saying "the cash I'll spend the cheap job could go towards the BB job" I know but I have to much to get done between now and national day for me to afford the BB job

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently proffed a 1000mile nearly new Ball Bearing GT2554R from ebay with all the paperwork to back it up for less than 300 notes.

Not tested it yet mind, not sure how it will perform with a .64 back end - anyone know where is cheap to get a smaller rear housing? - or got one and can let me know?

Not all BB turbos last as they should, my last one went pop after 2 events, and i doubt they will honour the warranty, i am sending it back to OD for investigation though, millers 10-60 competition oil (60 odd quid a go), inline filter and good oil pressure...

If i were you i would get a knackered garrett journal blower and rebuild that though as Scoff says... best of both worlds that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I blagged my Garrett GT28RS for 600 sheets cash brand new, the deals are there if your trawl for them

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the upside of a long lasting build, you have enough time to sort yourself cheap parts

Bought the T28 for €100 from Marktplaats. The guy said it needed a rebuild because it had radial play. Actually there's nothing wrong with it