Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Black 5 Turbo Project - Video of automated centre console cover

my 5 pretty much OE needs the odd bit of tlc but basicaly sound and rust free

not going to mod the hell out of it just restore and update sympatheticaly
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 25-04-2012 at 22:48. Reason: title change

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black 5 Turbo Project

made a start on my centre console, put the original one into storage in case i want to change back at any time in the future and started work on a new one.
    basicaly im going to graft in a mk1 clio stereo cover to hide the more modern stereo from prying eyes.
    how cover looks in the open position

and how it looks closed

first thing was to remove the plate sticking up at the back as this will just get in the way going into the 5

top edge finished neatly and straight with a sanding block

view from the back, the top edge of this will fit against where the bottom of the ashtray screws in in the 5

because the fixings for the ashtray are recessed a spacer was made from a couple of layers of plastic bonded together and shaped to fit into the recess, 1mm pilot holes were drilled in the correct place for the fixings

after trial fitting into the car to get positioning correct the spacer was bonded to the clio stereo cover pilot holes were drilled through into the cover and pegged with wire to keep allignment right

top edge was finished flush

the first of 2 donor centre consoles, this one will form the basis of the new console it came from ebay with a broken top mount but as this is not needed the bargan price was a plus

console now cut out for ready for grafting in the clio stereo flap, as this will sit slightly forwards of the original possition the switches will also need to move forwards so the mountings are cut out and will be relocated later

front on view of the console

after fitting the console into the car and offering the clio cover up to the ashtray mounting point the 2 were tacked together to ensure correct possitioning

rear view showing pieces of plastic temporarily tacked in to hold position correct

the second centre console, again an ebay find in with a job lot of other parts had holes cracks and front vents broken out and has been sprayed with black dye but will do nicely as a donor to take sections from, the front section was cut out for grafting into the new console to form a new front edge

section was trimmed to fit and cut in half as moving it forwards requires it to be a couple of mm narower side to side, pic shows first side bonded into place, note a strip has also been bonded in the back edge of the switch hole as the front section will fit to this area, also the sides of the clio cover has been cut away as the sides will need to be reconstructed to match the lines of the console

close up of the first section grafted in

will post more as work progresses or you can click like on facebook to be kept up to date on this and all our other projects http://www.facebook.com/phoenixautosport

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mod

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

did a bit more on the centre console today, starting to take shape now

plate bonded inside to provide a base

section cut from the other console bonded on to form the side also a plate bonded inside along the front to add strength

plate on side filled with cyanoacryalate and finished to shape inc fine filling of some of the previous parts

next section of side bonded in place along with another strengthening platre inside

right hand front section bonded in place

switch panel section was cut from the other centre console along with the curved side profile as i want to angle them slightly so that it leads into the stereo area rather than there being a big step up to it

section was cut out and replaced with part from the other consoles switch area in order to form an extra 2 switch locations for a future mod

plates bonded front and back to strengthen the join between the parts

5 switch recess ready to fit

switch panel tacked into place

front view of switch panel tacked in place

switch panel bonded in all round on front and back and skim filled to get final shaping

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

started work on the other side of the console

got the right hand side up to the same stage as the left, also filled the top sides either side of the stereo opening with cyanoacryalate to make them good and solid, gone over the entire front end filling any joins, nicks and screw holes from a previous owners additions, then sanded everything forwards of the stereo opening to give a good base for the flock to adhere to

Post Thanks / Like

Looking great fella. Be nice to see once u finished it

Post Thanks / Like

cant wait to see it flocked. Geussing thats where your going with it?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers guys, yes it will be flocked in the grey i use on the door cards once i have finished the back where it meets the dash

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

trial fitted the console to check the back edge as i had to alter the angle of the top section slightly to keep the stereo angle correct so as to miss the heater assembly, as i expected this has left a gap at the back of about 3mm so i will have to fit a plate along the back then refit the part that fits the recess where the astray fixings are

how it will look with the cover in place

Post Thanks / Like

v nice, v oe

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

in order to rectify the small gap between the rear of the stereo surround created when i had to angle the surround to avoid the stereo hitting the heater assembly behind where it fits the rear edge needed remodeling, to do this i first removed the locating piece i had previously fitted on the back and sanded back the surface so that a plate could be bonded on to it to fill the gap

plate now bonded in place left slightly oversize so that it can be finished flush along top and sides once the sides have been finished

locating holes were drilled through from the front so that the locating piece could be refitted in the correct position again using wire guides

both sides were completed structuraly with plastic and sanded to shape

fine filling done to give final surface smooth for flocking

to prepare the cover flap the plastic section was first removed from the metal frame

to allow for the extra thickness of the flock coating whilst allowing the flap to operate smoothly without catching i removed approx 1.5mm from each side of the flap using a sanding block

edges were then reshaped to get rid of the sharp corners and restore the original shape, also the surface was keyed ready for flocking

like most renault 5 centre consoles the mounting lugs had seen better days and whilst they were still functional with washers i decided to sort them before they got any worse

plates bonded in place to the top of the damaged mountings and slots made using a dremmel and a small milling cutter
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 14-04-2012 at 23:51.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good work going on there, im very impressed. Keep the pics flowing

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

43) opening the flap by hand would just be far to 1991 for my liking so im mounting a servo to do the job for me, bracket has been made from a section of plastic crafted to fit the underneath of the back where the flap stowes when open

44) bracket will be bonded into the console once link rods etc have been made to the correct length, extra blocks have been glued on where the screws fit to give them a good thickness to fit into securely

45) shaped control rod made from plastic, this may be changed for metal at a later date but for development purposes its far easier to cut, bend, glue and modify a bit of plastic to get the right shape and length, proper fixings are substiuted with wire at the moment to allow me to pull apart and put back together in second rather than minutes

46) slot at the back of the surround cut to allow the control rod to pass through

47) rods attached and servo/bracket held into place at this point the final servo attachment hasnt been made so there is a rod joining the servo centre point and the arm to allow me to work out where parts will fall as the servo moves and determine the angles of movement required
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 22-04-2012 at 22:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic black nail varnish is a bold statement tho

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Fantastic black nail varnish is a bold statement tho
    i knew someone would spot that, its vinyl cote from spraying the some parts, bloomin stuff comes off your skin but any you get on your nails wont budge, now i keep getting dodgy looks from people.
    note to self wear gloves next time

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

48) servo bracket now fixed into place and arms trimmed to length to give the correct amount of movement, joints still pinned with wire at the moment until fixings arrive

49) side view of mechanism

SEE THE VIDEO OF TESTING THE SERVO MECHANISM HERE

http://www.facebook.com/phoenixautosport/videos
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 25-04-2012 at 22:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Autosport View Post
    43) opening the flap by hand would just be far to 1991 for my liking [/IMG]
    Yes, this is exactly the right spirit. IIt seems that in order to get these kind of accessories just buying a new car is not an option for most members here. Definetly nice addition to already good mod.

Post Thanks / Like

attention to detail, friggin amazing, cant wait to see this mod completed

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers guys, done a bit more today just to get the fit right, had to trim a few mm from the top of the bracket to clear the botton of the dash where the console slots into it and take the corner off the bottom of the bracket to clear the heater assembly but it all fits in now and operates without fouling on anything, got a week away this coming week so wont be any progress for a while but the console isnt far off being flocked now, giving it a uniform coating will show the shaping achieved rather than all the various materials used in its construction and make it look a whole lot neater
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 30-04-2012 at 00:12.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

50) bottom right - small holes for springs that normaly hold the flap open or shut have been filled and sanded as they are no longer required. middle left mounting screw holes are also surplus to requirements

51) screw hole shown from back top left of stereo opening

52) screw hole blanked with plastic on the back

53) screw hole filled with cyanoacryalate from the front

54) filled screw hole ground back to a smooth finish using a small milling cutter in a dremmel

55) bracket for the servo was touching the heater assembly and lower edge of dash when fitted to car and would not allow the console to quite fit into place properly so the shape of the back edge was revised to give the required clearance
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 17-05-2012 at 19:30.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

EPIC Work

Post Thanks / Like

Great attention to detail.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

56) areas that were modified have been etch primed so that any imperfections can be seen easily. all imperfections filled.

57) sanded back and blown over sanded areas.

58) front view

59) top view

60) top mounting holes opened up to correct size for fixing screws, as these will locate where the bottom of the ashtray mounts the fixing screws will need to be conciderably longer than the originals.

61) holes countersunk so that screws can be fitted flush, as well as being neat this is also required to avoid the flap getting caught on the fixings.

62) checking fixing sits flush

63) rear of console with fixings in.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

64) console now flocked

65) front view

66) close up of side

67) flap re-assembled however best laid plans and all i didnt allow for the cover when i made the arm meaning it catches where the cover overhangs the bracket

68) a little re-shaping to give some more clearance

69) now allows arm to move further to allow for the cover when fully open

70) all re-assembled

71) comparison to the original console with flap open

72) comparison to the original console with flap closed

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

And a video of testing the machanism all functions correctly after re-assembly

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=387879984592337
    Last edited by Phoenix Autosport; 23-05-2012 at 22:53.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is just WIN!

How will you operate the servo to drive the right amount on it's own??

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers chaps, the servo has a ground and regulated supply line and the position is driven by a pulse width signal so im building a controller so that i can switch on the power and apply one of 2 different preset pulse widths just by pushing a button so it will just be one button to open and another to close,

thanks to an ebay seller in china advertising as they were in the uk im still waiting on some of the parts for that though, its always the flippin parts isnt it

Post Thanks / Like

Loving that mate! Proper job there looks ace

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well it was MOT time today and it failled, all because of a bloody tyre
    looked just about legal to me but the MOT man was having none of it and the spare he reconed wasnt any better, of course no one carries them in stock either, i had ordered one a couple of weeks ago knowing it was low but it still isnt here, anyone local got one i can borrow just to put it through the MOT so i can get the tax sorted

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

a result, a loan of some wheelswith legal tyres from big steve and its now got an MOT again i had forgotten just how much attention it gets, had a bloke knock at my door within a couple of hours of bringing it home asking if i wanted to sell it i think he thought its got no tax on it so he could get it cheap, no chance mate

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one. Now where are the pics with the console fitted?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i may put it in soon if i have time and get bored but the interior is being stripped soon as its getting a minty set of raider seats and a black carpet when i install all the new stereo wiring and a few other wrinkles, just want to get all the bits ready so that im not spending the summer driving a car with no interior