South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Carb Rebuild Guide

I was going to rebuild my carb today.

Last time I checked the guide, the pics were there. Now they are gone

Can anyone shed any light on this? Can we have them back at all?

I have never rebuilt a carb before and the pics would be handy.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carb Rebuild Guide

It's an old and know issue.

Once upon a time all the links in the articles that point to the 900 or so photos were mysteriously changed and no-one knows how to change the links back all at once. And no-one wants to spend a few days or so doing it manually.

The photos were visible from time to time when I left the old server on-line, which is where the links point to. Alas, that old server was attacked and after a short period on-line it starts to port scan the www, which is not allowed.

What I can do is switch it on specially for you for a day or few when you're ready to service your carb. Let me know when you're ready. May have to take it off line again though if it starts playing up.

Having said all that, I did have it on recently and the photos still didn't show up. But we can try again.

Post Thanks / Like

No I've just had a look and the server is already up and a few days ago it started to spam and today has done about 25GB of spamming so I''ll have to take that down now.

Even with it up, the photos are not visible.

I recall someone may recently have changed some domain name stuff at the domain name host and that is probably what is preventing the old server from now being visible to the internet. I don't know what was changed or how to correct that.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you not get it all looked at by a man in the know, the site keeps going down recently and the missing photos and other broken links are a shame.
    I can let you have the details of someone who may be able to help, he coded my website properly from scratch and is a whizz with stuff like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack, it's worth asking him.

What's your web site address please so we can have a look at his work?

The site going down appears to be a failing of the new hosting company. I was on to their tech support for over an hour this week. Regarding the most recent downtime (that I'm aware of) the logs show that our site was manually taken off line at 3am and then manually booted at 8.30am. I didn't do it and I've asked Scoff if he did. Tech support said it was not a remote control from a hacker but done from a 'local' computer. So its a mystery at the moment. When it's down I can't restart it as the control panel I use, Plesk, is down as well. As of about a week ago, we have a new support ticket service that GG didn't seem to have. They've told me this is monitored 24/7 so next time this happens, if I open a ticket they should soon do a re-start.

Global gold were bought and taken over by Iomart recently. GG seems to have been deleted although we still use a support page and billing with that name on. Data has been moved to another data centre and admin, sales, support moved from near London to the Iomart office in Glasgow.

Tech support were quite helpful. There have been ongoing email issues which I've complained about to GG several times, staring last August, with no resolution from them, and it appears now that the IP address the RTOC was assigned by GG is black listed with spam companies causing all mail from the server to be rejected. The RTOC members email works because that is help on a server of GG / Iomart, not on ours.

Thursday I was on to sales for quite a while trying to resolve some lingering issues that the person who helped move us to GG didn't do, one being backups, I've established that so far there have been none!!!

So I've bought a full managed service that is supposed to take care of daily and monthly backups and do any software upgrades and also deal with issues like the downtime. They should/might monitor, and find out why, the server is repeatedly being shut down and by who and why.

We went to GG because they were supposed to be good with hosting and optimising for maximum speed, vBulletin installations. I appears that's a service discontinued with Iomart.

Also I've been making enquiries and have a couple of people who said they can and will look into differing aspects of the various servers and sites various issues. I needed to get everything backed up in a way that it can quickly be restored by someone who knows how, before letting anyone poke around inside the server the live site is on.

I've established that the missing photos appears to be a result of the migration to GG nine months ago not working properly and before the man at GG who was doing it all could have a second go, the database had been corrupted by an attempt to upgrade to vB version 4. No copy of the original was forwarded to GG as they requested and so no further work was done until Scoff waded in and found and fixed various 'write permissions' but no work on recovering the photo apart from my investigation to find out what went wrong and try and make a plan to fix it. There is a table in the SQL that holds the album photos that apparently is missing or damaged. Basically someone skilled in SQL needs to take that table from a copy of the old database and splice it to the new one without overwriting more recent stuff. This is complicated by apparently no have a working version of the old database. I've not found out if what we still have on the server can be reversed from the vB v4 upgrade. If it can't, then there is a three month older copy on the older server.

The problems we've had in recent years are related to none of the 'experts' having the required mixed skill sets to straighten out the various softwares and custom modifications that have been accrued / inherited over the years. I have spent many full days communicating with many programmers over the last year. Only one had a go and was able to fix some PHP 'faults' with older pages not working with newer PHP versions, that no-one else had been able to. Thanks to the man at GG taking the site out of the Windows environment into the Linux one and straightening various, but by no means all, issues on the way, it's perhaps easier now for further programmers as the site runs on a LAMP server not a Windows one and matters a less confused.

Thanks.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

My website is www.bd-audio.co.uk might be worth a chat on the phone to him to see if he can assist and at what cost.

He has a link to his site at the bottom of mine.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies

But i totally bamboozled by the above!!lol

Has anyone got the pics that go with the article???

Post Thanks / Like

The person who had those and wrote the article left the club years ago.

The 80 or so links in the carb servicing article point to links in a folder of 900 links. It will take a while for someone to go through and identify each photo and copy them. They don't appear in the folder as photos that can be easily seen and copied. It's folder full of 900 very very long alpha numeric strings.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you dropped Richard an email Ian?

Post Thanks / Like

No, he last logged on: June 2011. Wrote that probably 10 years ago.

Do you know him? Have you been in touch?

There're maybe 60 articles and those that have them all need their photos. I'm looking at the bigger picture.

This week we should have the back up service.

Then a couple of people can have access to have a look various aspect of the three servers we have. Not that they will look this week. Just that a start can be moved toward.

The support man at Global Gold said he was sure the SQL could be fixed but the investigation might take 10 minutes or many days and cost us thousands.

Thanks for the link to the chap that did your site. I'll see if he can do what we need but probably not this week as I don't have time to find out what it exactly is that needs doing and yet again have that one or two hour phone conversation or spend several hours writing that email or emails.

Normally what happens is they say "drop it in an email". That's just not at all easy and can take me two days work to write it. I just can 't do that again at the moment.

I did have one man who look at it all live while we were on the phone. he saw problem and said he could do it. But then he suddenly moved to the middle east and couldn't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly what you're after but might help.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    No, he last logged on: June 2011. Wrote that probably 10 years ago.

Do you know him? Have you been in touch?

There're maybe 60 articles and those that have them all need their photos. I'm looking at the bigger picture.

This week we should have the back up service.

Then a couple of people can have access to have a look various aspect of the three servers we have. Not that they will look this week. Just that a start can be moved toward.

The support man at Global Gold said he was sure the SQL could be fixed but the investigation might take 10 minutes or many days and cost us thousands.

Thanks for the link to the chap that did your site. I'll see if he can do what we need but probably not this week as I don't have time to find out what it exactly is that needs doing and yet again have that one or two hour phone conversation or spend several hours writing that email or emails.

Normally what happens is they say "drop it in an email". That's just not at all easy and can take me two days work to write it. I just can 't do that again at the moment.

I did have one man who look at it all live while we were on the phone. he saw problem and said he could do it. But then he suddenly moved to the middle east and couldn't do it.
    Sorry, I meant Richard as in the guy who built my site! As for sending him the info do you not have the emails you previously sent? You could just forward all of those.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I did rebuild my carb last night.

And i did take as many pics as possible that I thought were relevant.

Can these be added to the article maybe? So that others can see them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    Can these be added to the article maybe? So that others can see them?
    Just like any other thread. Only 5 at the bottom of each page.

Those articles are not normal posts. They are the tables from the old asp site, cut and pasted into a post on this forum. They are not all that editable as they are.

The only way is very labour intensive, to upload and store each photo somewhere, nad a thumbnail that you made for each one, then alter or add new links to the article. It probably a few hours work. And there no point in uploading the photos to your album to link to as they might vanish from there. You have to email them to me and I then have to upload them to a folder somewhere safer in this sites files.

There's no time for that just now.

Scoff never had time to properly re-create the articles section like it was on the old site, or something equivalent. Using posts in threads was a quick and messy temporary fix.

You could upload the photos to somewhere like photobucket and write a new post with them linked to. I could then move that to the articles section.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Ill give it a go in the week.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I have added my own pics to the article and posted it in the 5 turbo section.

Can it be moved to the articles section please?

I did use your pic jonny 5 thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the effort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    I have added my own pics to the article and posted it in the 5 turbo section.

Can it be moved to the articles section please?

I did use your pic jonny 5 thanks
    I cant take credit for that mate. Its just a picture from the club files i found to help you out. Good work with the guide, nice to see another dedicated member.

Post Thanks / Like

Good work. Thanks for helping out.

Top of the list (it's in thread date order) https://www.rtoc.org/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=59

What did you use to edit the original article?

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

No prob on the help front :-)

As for how I edited the old article, I'd like to say I used an ingenious software programme.

But in reality, I just copied and pasted it onto a new thread and added the link to my own photobucket pics

Hope it's of use to some people.