Post Thanks / Like

Engine paint

I am after some high tempreture paint for the engine on my 5 in glossy black and silver want aerosols need primer and clear coat anyone got recomendations on what make and where to get it from thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine paint

how hot do you think the outside the engine block is going to get? i thought most people just used a normal aerosol. i've even used radiator paint before now.

Post Thanks / Like

No but manifold does and its harder wearing so do you know where or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Tut tut now thats no way to speak to sparkie or anyone on here for that matter.
    Remember YOU'RE the one asking for help mate.
    Last edited by Jonny5; 03-04-2012 at 22:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you mean "you're"? Pleb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Don't you mean "you're"? Pleb
    Cheers spooky

Post Thanks / Like

What you on about he wrote a sarcastic comment about how hot do you think the engine guna get?

Post Thanks / Like

Halfords sell vht paint

Post Thanks / Like

I used the halfords vht paint (spray) and was pretty disapointed with it tbh. Looked ok initially but when i went to clean off my oily finger prints etc the paint began to flake off. So i used blue engine enamel from autosave. Cost was £7 a tin, loads of colours to choose from, goes on easy and left a much better finish.

Post Thanks / Like

POR 15 engine enamel is the dogs danglys, you don't even need to spray it on (although you can if you like with a compressor and gun) follow the instructions and you will end up with an ultra hard wearing shiney finish.

It's not all that cheap mind, but you get what you pay for.

Have a look at frost restorations on Google.

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    POR 15 engine enamel is the dogs danglys, you don't even need to spray it on (although you can if you like with a compressor and gun) follow the instructions and you will end up with an ultra hard wearing shiney finish.

Chris, a little chivalry goes a long way when you are a newbie asking for info. Phil and TubbyG have offered some sound advice.

Sparkie makes a very good point, your engine block should not get much hotter than coolant temperature 120 deg C max, apart from areas exposed to radiated heat. You should also note that Sparkie has been tuning renaults and offering free help and advice on here since day 1, and it is the same old questions that come up.

Apply your brain before asking (intelligent or thought through) Q's and you will get a much more helpful response. Half decent Engand goes a long way too innit.

If you are unsure use this before posting up:

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/search.php

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Half decent Engand goes a long way too innit.
    Do you mean English?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell some one delete this thread and start again lmao

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    Do you mean English?

Post Thanks / Like

Por 15 looks like this and doesn't come off:

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    ....when you are a newbie asking for info....
    Well said

They don't do white POR though do they?

Hammerite smooth. It did chip off too easily but didn't flake of due to heat or oil, etc:

Post Thanks / Like

normal paint is more than up to the job as sparkie said, the engine bulk head/firewall gets painted in normal automotive paint and doesn't suffer from heat damage, if you're worried about heat you might want to think about wrapping the manifold and down pipe while they're off

marky b also sprays his calipers in normal paint and has never had a problem with them flaking or being damaged by heat as far as I'm aware

Post Thanks / Like

if you paint the manifold in heat resistant paint, it will flake off very quickly.
    -leave the manifold alone.

once you've fitted the painted engine, nothing is going to knock against it, so it doesnt really matter if you get paint that is harder wearing.

i would say avoid light colours ( white or yellow), as they can degrade and discolour.

make sure the block is cleaned thoroughly first.

just get the paint and clearcoat from any local motor factor. - make sure you let it dry thoroughly first between each coat.

and yes i am a mildly sarcastic plick

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post

1+ for this stuff aswell leaves a very good glossy finish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    if you paint the manifold in heat resistant paint, it will flake off very quickly.
    -leave the manifold alone.

once you've fitted the painted engine, nothing is going to knock against it, so it doesnt really matter if you get paint that is harder wearing.

i would say avoid light colours ( white or yellow), as they can degrade and discolour.

make sure the block is cleaned thoroughly first.

just get the paint and clearcoat from any local motor factor. - make sure you let it dry thoroughly first between each coat.

thank you for advise much appreciated lol i was haveing a bad day cheers

Post Thanks / Like

regular car paint is fine for block and rocker cover

i always use silver VHT on the cylinder head as its easier and quicker than trying to clean off the stains

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post

You're just an amateur

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Alastair;263367]Chris, a little chivalry goes a long way when you are a newbie asking for info. Phil and TubbyG have offered some sound advice.

Sparkie makes a very good point, your engine block should not get much hotter than coolant temperature 120 deg C max, apart from areas exposed to radiated heat. You should also note that Sparkie has been tuning renaults and offering free help and advice on here since day 1, and it is the same old questions that come up.

Apply your brain before asking (intelligent or thought through) Q's and you will get a much more helpful response. Half decent Engand goes a long way too innit.

If you are unsure use this before posting up:

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/search.php[/QUOTE

I dont quite understand the point your trying to make As you say i am a newbie asking for some advise on what people thought was the best paint to use i asked politely also not everyone has been doing cars up all there lives so i am afraid not all the questions are going to be new and exciteing but asking peoples oppinons on what they think is a good way to get chatting to people and makeing freinds because else whats the point in joining a club if you just use the search engine thats what googles for. Also if you think that a thread is boreing or you dont want to answear the same question again then dont say anything and leave it to the people who dont mind instead of jumping on the band wagon with everyone to have a go i think this club is good and i am grateful for any help i get

Post Thanks / Like

What we're all trying to point out to you is that this response is not a friendly one and this club takes a harsh view of people having a pop at the 'staff'.

Maybe you simply chose your words badly but we all felt the same about it.

Whilst very experienced members do spend time helping new ones, they soon stop doing when hostility and condescension is detected from someone with apparently scant knowledge.

Please make an effort to improve you spelling and grammar. It might be OK for school exams in recent years but it's not OK here. Have you seen and read this post: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=11133 You'll get more help if people can read your posts.

You pointed out that you feel you came across in a way you did not intend so fair enough and we've moved on since you did that. Please be more careful with future posts

Also, some questions have been asked so many times that people are tired of them, hence the reference to do some reading to get the basics. There is a vast amount of information available in this clubs data which can be accessible using the search.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris -

They are a good mob on here. They just get frustrated by the same questions !

Give me a shout if you get stuck.

Andy

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG!

As said, avoid painting the exhaust manifold - it'll just rust/flake off. For the engine I use Hammerite smooth and it's very good. Make sure the block is cleaned and dried before application

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd be making a mistake using aerosols. You'd spend so much time masking everything to protect from over spray it's be quicker to just paint it on with a brush.

I think it took me 15 minutes per coat.

I went over it with a wire brush on a drill to get rough stuff off then went over that with Hammerite de-greaser and rinsed that with hot water.

CTM used to Hammerite on all their blocks. They just took them out of the cleaning machine, let them dry and painted. No special preparation.

I found it chipped badly, just dropping a nut on it took a piece off. Hammerite is designed for painting on to rust isn't it? That's how it adheres. Not onto clean metal.

I would strongly suggest not getting Hammerite under any faces that are being bolted onto as it does come off and then the bolt is lose. This happened to my Hammerite painted 5GTT wishbones and all four bolts moved around, ovalising the holes and seizing in the nuts, which had to be cut off to replace them. Need replacement wishbones too.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the members on here suggested por 15 i have just read up on it seems good. I have been a truck mechanic for the last 10 years and its common practice to hammerite the wheels on the wagons and you wouldnt believe how many wheels come off that way so its the same with anything i suppose but thats the same with any paint. Theres alot of good people on here andy i got a sarcastic comment and then gave a sh1ty reply but its done now

Post Thanks / Like

if you get hammerite cheap from work, then i'd go that route