Post Thanks / Like

Another Problem... Clunk, clunk!

Hi, I finished work at 6pm yesterday and drove the car back home (from Staines to High Wycombe). When I got off the motorway and filled up, I heard a "clunk" sound coming from the front. I pulled over and jacked up the car, wheels were fine, susspension seemed fine but the clunking sound was still there

Now when the car goes over 2000/2500 revs, I get horrible wheel wobble in the stearing and the power is not being put down (not driving aggresivly at all)

At first I thought it was the susspension as I put on new Avo coilovers last weekend but I am now more inclinded to think it is the gearbox or driveshaft? Maybe both. When I put the car in reverse, I get a CHEWWW sound when rolling!

Any advise? Or has this happended to anyone else before? How can I diagnose the problem?

Markey Mark is putting in my new engine this weekend (hopefully) and this has a box with it, also on the subframe so if a driveshaft is needed, I assume I can just nick this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Problem... Clunk, clunk!

Most likely be a shaft or box.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like knackered box

Post Thanks / Like

does it pull either left or right when accelerating? also does it clunk when going straight or just when turning the steering wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT Tricky Nicky View Post
    does it pull either left or right when accelerating? also does it clunk when going straight or just when turning the steering wheel?
    No pulling left or right, only clunks when going straight. Mind you, I have only been nursing her since the noise, but no noise when turning.

Once I diagnose the problem, I will ask how to stop it happending! Althought I think the answer will be "put the car back to standard". Lowering the car looks nice but put extra strain on the wheel bearings, driveshafts and susspension

Post Thanks / Like

Update:
    Issue with car was passenger side Wheel Bearing (and see below)

This was replaced (as same time as engine as swap) but I still got the horrible noise and stearing/wheel wobble on load.

Jacked up car to find passenger front tyre was egg shaped! Changed tyre and tested. Ok under 2K revs but hairy over that. Jacked up car, changed passenger side Drive Shaft, only to find that the drivers side Drive Shaft was fooked. Changed this and now car works again

• Passenger side wheel bearing (totally shot)
    • Drivers side Drive Shaft
    • Egg shaped tyre (could be buckled wheel)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see all sorted now, got to say that wheel bearing was knackered!

Wonder if shaft finally gave up as seemed ok when went on test drive but must admit i never reved it that high or went that fast, only drove round the block to test misfire fault.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL thats why! As soon as you got to about 2K revs, the steering wheel would vibrate and the whole car started vibrating. We changed 4 parts (wheel, hub, driveshaft and susspension) before diagnosing the real problem.

Must be all connected: Left hand side front trye egg shaped, left hand side front wheel bearing fooked and right hand side front drive shaft! I'm glad I got the new box too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i think the combination of faults we found made it all feel alittle worse, least its all sorted now though

Yeah that gearbox does feel pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

What box you gone for?