Post Thanks / Like

Megane II Rotary switch

Has anyone much experience in changing these things? Any tips on airbag removal would be good as i dont fancy it going off. Plan is to disconnect the battery and give it a tap through a hole in the back of the steering wheel.

Only other thing i'm a little unsure of, is if my used rotary switch is centralised or not. I guess it should be as simple as turning it as far as it will go in both directions and finding the central point. I dont wanna f*** it up as it doesn't look like the most rubust thing in the world. Probably why it snapped in the first place.

Any help appriciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megane II Rotary switch

Quote Originally Posted by going_downhill View Post
    Has anyone much experience in changing these things? Any tips on airbag removal would be good as i dont fancy it going off. Plan is to disconnect the battery and give it a tap through a hole in the back of the steering wheel.

Only other thing i'm a little unsure of, is if my used rotary switch is centralised or not. I guess it should be as simple as turning it as far as it will go in both directions and finding the central point. I dont wanna f*** it up as it doesn't look like the most rubust thing in the world. Probably why it snapped in the first place.

Any help appriciated.
    Are you talking about the sswitch disc for the power for the steering wheel bag ??

Post Thanks / Like

yeah its the cable that connects the drivers airbag. also known as a clock spring or airbag squib.

its actually the whole unit behind the wheel including the indicator/light stalks and this cable is sealed inside that unit.

Post Thanks / Like

The bag has 3 torx screws at the bag and pull of gently ,with batt disconnected ,then there is the little lead that connects to the plastic ring , I bought the whole unit of eBay wiper stalks air bag etc for £15 .

Are the indicators not cancelling or horn wires worn away which pass by that ring ? That's what happened to me

Post Thanks / Like

Think there should b a hole in the back of your steering wheel which leads to the airbag release clip, slide a flat bladed screwdriver down there and force the clip down towards the footwell and the airbag should unclip,

No need to disconnect the battery just make sure the ignition is off, and make sure the steering wheel is straight before u take it off , also make sure the new switch hasn't been turned, they normally have a seal/tag/tape etc on them to stop them turning

Post Thanks / Like

well i got it sorted after a morning of swearing. snapped a clip on one of the connectors so lets hope it stays put without. also the radio code out the manual doesnt bloody work!

Post Thanks / Like

They are a nightmare to unclip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by going_downhill View Post
    well i got it sorted after a morning of swearing. snapped a clip on one of the connectors so lets hope it stays put without. also the radio code out the manual doesnt bloody work!
    Might be a different radio go to Renault with serial number they will generate a new code

Post Thanks / Like

is it worth me trying an ebay seller who claims they will email me the code for 99p once i get mine out to reveal the serail number of the stereo? Its an in-dash 6 disc changer so i kinda want to keep it.

My rotary switch has since snapped again i must have made an epic fail when counting the rotations to make sure it was centralised...

£155 for a new one thats centralised and ready to bolt on. ouch. . On a plus note the broken connector has stayed put.

Having dramas with the electric windows now only going down/up in stages and the keyless entry has stopped working.

will someone just come and torch the thing??

MOT tomorrow so will see what other damage its going to cause.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be free from Renault if u r nice to parts man ,I bought my switch of eBay of a breaker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtmatt View Post
    Should be free from Renault if u r nice to parts man ,I bought my switch of eBay of a breaker
    I'll try my luck with the renault garage tomorrow with the radio code. Did you get one for the megane 1, or 2 off the net? I paid £70 for a used one for the megane 2 thats now as buggered as my original. If the breaker doesnt take it off with the wheels straight its not much use, (i'll just bugger another one up)... Gonna have to get ripped off on a new one. I think on the early megane the squib is seperate but for the 2 its the entire indicator/light stalk assembly, hence the sky high price.

Oh well. At least the 5 works.

Post Thanks / Like

if you start the car without the card in the slot, then switch it off and get out and try locking the car using the drivers handsfree button it sometimes sorts out the handsfree locking

ref your one touch windows working in stages, put the glass all the way up and then let go of the switch and then hold the switch up again for 5 seconds and your one touch should b reset

perils of disconnecting your battery

u have pm about your radio code

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike r5 gtt View Post
    if you start the car without the card in the slot, then switch it off and get out and try locking the car using the drivers handsfree button it sometimes sorts out the handsfree locking

ref your one touch windows working in stages, put the glass all the way up and then let go of the switch and then hold the switch up again for 5 seconds and your one touch should b reset

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike r5 gtt View Post

Windows sorted! who would of thought it? I'll have a look at the keyless entry but to be fair i can live without it if need be.

Thanks for the help buddy. I'll PM you the relevant info regarding the stereo!