Post Thanks / Like

Front mount intercooler phase 1 problem

Hi guys, I bought my phase 1 with a phase 2 bumper already on it, and front mount intercooler, problem iv got is iv went and got my self a new front phase 1 bumper,and I can not get it to fit due to the smaller bottom profile of the phase 1 bumper, I really did not want to cut it as im going for a OE look to the car.
    Has anyone had the same problem? and how did they get over it, or what other options do I have? I'm going for fairly big horse power so need good inter cooling.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Front mount intercooler phase 1 problem

what size is the cooler and how much wont it fit by?
    any pictures?,there are several ways to fit a fmic depending on size,you may have to chop about the front or maybe not....size of cooler?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got not broadband at mo,so I'm doing everything off my phone,I wil .do my best to upload a pic
    Iv got the cooler up against the bottom of the front cross member, and its sitting about 50 mm. to low of the bottom lip of the bumper, it is really tight with a phase 2, and no chance with the phase one bumper
    Last edited by 123-gtt; 15-02-2012 at 21:59.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

This is how I cut mine mate to fit the cooler in, it'll give you the extra 50mm you need.

Post Thanks / Like

i had an issue with my ph1 and my front mount, 600x300x100 core, but also i didnt want to cut up a ph1 bumper so i fitted a ph2 and with the lower splitter profile i think it makes the car look alot better.. I have save the OE bumper tho so im allways alble to swap it back..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    i had an issue with my ph1 and my front mount, 600x300x100 core, but also i didnt want to cut up a ph1 bumper so i fitted a ph2 and with the lower splitter profile i think it makes the car look alot better.. I have save the OE bumper tho so im allways alble to swap it back..
    Rob, that looks dam fine matey and will be exactlt what i want. Now did you have the kit sprayed in some sort of texture based paint? My PH1 kit is unpainted and would prefer to leave it as orginal as possible. If i use a PH2 bumper, i will need to have it matched in some way to the rest of the kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    That looks the dogs mate, but the problem is my bumpers are phase 1 cream,and as you prob know they did not do them in a phase 2 profile,(unpainted),

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    This is how I cut mine mate to fit the cooler in, it'll give you the extra 50mm you need.

Ashie mate, I'm thinking that maybe my only get out, are you going to strengthen it back up some how? marky suggested the same thing, and then adding a bit of box section above?

Post Thanks / Like

Just chop the crossmember out mate, i done mine with no probs.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123-gtt View Post
    Ashie mate, I'm thinking that maybe my only get out, are you going to strengthen it back up some how? marky suggested the same thing, and then adding a bit of box section above?
    Nah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Rob, that looks dam fine matey and will be exactlt what i want. Now did you have the kit sprayed in some sort of texture based paint? My PH1 kit is unpainted and would prefer to leave it as orginal as possible. If i use a PH2 bumper, i will need to have it matched in some way to the rest of the kit.
    hi, the bumper hasnt been paint or touched, came like that from renault.. all i did was shine it and fitted the red trim... the ph2 OE bumper has the same texture as my ph1 kit..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post

Thats how i did mine

Post Thanks / Like

All done,cut the cross member,lifted the cooler and with a mega squeeze got the bumper back on,but I can not do it with the fogs in? Had another look this morning there is no room at all