Post Thanks / Like

02 Clio 1.4 problem help please

My girlfriends car wouldn't start the other day so fitted a new battery after trying to jump start it.Anyways it was just doing the same and either just clicking when the key was turned or making a starter motor noise for about 1 second.

Decided to get the AA to recover the car to my house last night so me and my dad could have a look at it.The AA sent out a truck driver who wasn't a mechanic and when he arrived their was no power on the car atall no ignition lights or anything so he tried jump starting with a battery and wasn't giving any power then he tried with the trucks battery and it turned the starter motor over fast but the engine wouldn't start.

So now I'm stuck with a car that did have power and a fault that now has nothing and don't know where to start.Anybody got any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 02 Clio 1.4 problem help please

Quote Originally Posted by LukeRobbo View Post
    My girlfriends car wouldn't start the other day so fitted a new battery after trying to jump start it.Anyways it was just doing the same and either just clicking when the key was turned or making a starter motor noise for about 1 second.

Decided to get the AA to recover the car to my house last night so me and my dad could have a look at it.The AA sent out a truck driver who wasn't a mechanic and when he arrived their was no power on the car atall no ignition lights or anything so he tried jump starting with a battery and wasn't giving any power then he tried with the trucks battery and it turned the starter motor over fast but the engine wouldn't start.

So now I'm stuck with a car that did have power and a fault that now has nothing and don't know where to start.Anybody got any ideas?
    My sister had the same issue and it was crank position /angle sensor it's a common fault

Post Thanks / Like

But would It not still have power
    Last edited by LukeRobbo; 11-02-2012 at 09:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it was getting power just clicking /relay click ,no starter solonoid either,have u checked main fuse etc ? Wiring fault it sounds like

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment I have no lights anywhere so no power :-(

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment I have no lights anywhere so no power :-(
    U checked fuse box in engine bay ?

Post Thanks / Like

No my dads the more mechanical one so gonna get him to look in a bit.What's a main fuse and what should I be looking for In the fuse box?

Post Thanks / Like

No my dads the more mechanical one so gonna get him to look in a bit.What's a main fuse and what should I be looking for In the fuse box?
    The main fuses you can see if they are blown or not

Post Thanks / Like

Checked the fuses and its a 1.2 engine not 1.4.The brand new battery is dead and it try's to start if I jump it on a spair battery.Stuck with it will try bypassing things etc.Any more suggestions would be great please

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a suggestion....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These things were pretty bad at getting water into the under bonnet fuse box and corroding the wiring, also the inj computer plugs were filled with silicon from the factory, this hardens and creates a high resitstance at the connection......also the TDC sensors packed up.

If the new battery is going flat, sounds like a drain on it somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

When you have power from jump lead the dash lights come on after a second or so they go out does the engine mangment light go out ? Get an obd reader on see if any faults come up ?

Post Thanks / Like

I charged the maintenance free battery which is only a few days old because it was dead and cleaned the earth connections up and seems to work fine.Hopefully it isn't an intermittent fault.

The back pressure when I take the oil cap off is massive which isn't good it's done about 130k and not been looked after so gonna give it a service now.She needs to sell it and buy a Honda or Toyota.I love renaults to drive but hate them to work on and for stress that's why my 5 has been stripped out to be a track only car used a few times a year.

Thanks for the suggestions Im hopefully going to get some parts off a car the same that the bonnet flew up on apparently it's a common fault??? French cack!