Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clio 172 advice

I'm thinking of getting a Clio 172 and would just like some advice of what to look for. Any problems they are well known for, anything like that??
    I'm looking at getting an 03 plate with around 70k miles, what price should I be expecting to pay for one in good condition?
    Cheers

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio 172 advice

Looking at around £2k-£3k mate, look for service history, all important cambelt change at 72k or 5 years, noisy dephaser pulley, engine and gearbox oil leaks, worn clutch, knocking on harsh acceleration (engine mounts worn) and everything works etc

Post Thanks / Like

Renault Clio 172 Buying Guide Check Points

As with all cars, and especially with high performance examples, its important to have a complete service history to ensure everything that needed to be changed had been changed and at the right time. Its also important to get an idea of how the cars was used, was it a track day car or a second car, the conditions will of each model will vary widely. The two litre engine is tough if properly maintained, the cam belt needs to be replaced every 72,000 miles or every 5 years whichever is the sooner. The auxiliary belt should also be replaced at the same time as it needs to be removed anyway to get to the cambelt. The aux belt costs 19pounds. The tensioners should also be replaced as failure of these items can be disastrous. Crated engines can be had for 1763pounds.

Idle can be lumpy and noisy from cold, this is normal and go after a few minutes when the engine changes to closed loop fuel control. A healthy motor should not use any oil, even on track. The oil level is checked automatically on start up but can also be checked with the dipstick, although this is hard to access and is best used when the engine is cold to avoid burns.

Engine mounts are common failing and can be diagnosed as knocking in first and second gears. A new engine mount kit costs 140pounds and take a couple of hours to fit. TDC sensors can fail making the car go into limp mode or refusing to start altogether. There is a wide range of chips available for the Clio so ask the owner if the car has one.
    Full lock can cause knocking as the shock nut catches the turret top, this can be easily modified if required. The Clio 172 power steering can be noisy due to a restrictive return pipe although the 182 pipe is a larger bore and this can be retrofitted. In the unlikely event of the power steering failing the cause is more than likely the failure of the axillary belt. Rear springs can snap due to water collecting in the lower spring seat. Drive shaft gaiters can also fail so its worth checking their condition. There are masses of uprated suspension kits available for the Clio 172. Kits include offerings from Eibach, Koni, Bilstein and H&R. These will obviously alter the way the Clio 172 drives so insist on an extended test drive to see what the effect has been. Original springs can always be refitted if required.

Brakes/Wheels/Tyres

The Clio 172 brakes are strong and are the same items fitted to the 182 and Cup models. Rear wheel bearings can fail at around the 40,000 mile mark and is given away by a tell tale rumbling sound. This should be repaired quite quickly and easily by a garage and should cost around 200pounds including fitting and parts.

The Clio 172 is quite a light car so tyre wear should be low but track work can lead to increased wear on the outside of the tyre. In general, wear should be even on all tyres and if not an alignment check is in order.

Michelin Pilot SX were fitted as the standard equipment on the Clio 172 but these have now been replaced by the Michelin Pilot Exalto which many owner go for when replacing the tyres.

Bodywork/Interior

You should expect some creaks and squeaks from the cabin, although if your prepared to invest a bit a time in identifying the source they can usually be remedied. The air-con is not up too much but should be able to keep temps bearable on a summers day. The air bag light can come on due to disconnected wire under he passenger set, this can easily be fixed. Check the floor from under the seats to the rear of the car for moisture, obviously prolonged exposure to water will cause rust down the line. Rear lights and fog lights can also suffer from water ingress but they can be easily dried. Backing plates on the door handles always crack but are hardly noticeable, again an easy fix if you can't live with it. Broken handles on the seats are also common.

It's an old guide so prices are a rough guide as may have changed

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't planning on selling mine, but i'm doing plenty of miles now and its costing me in petrol.......i might have to get a diesel for my commute! I'd like to think mine is a very good example. drop me a PM if you want any more details, it could be for sale for the right price.

It has choice mods, but the ones you want rather than the ones you wouldn't

Coilovers
    Braded lines, Brembo Disks and Ferodo DS2500's
    All servicing bang up to date and undertaken at BTM including All important belts in Dec 2010.
    Car has just gone past 71k
    4 Brand new Toyo T1R's
    2 front lower ball joints and 4 wheel alignment
    Anthracite Speedline Turini's
    take a look on my profile if you want some pic's

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    I wasn't planning on selling mine, but i'm doing plenty of miles now and its costing me in petrol.......i might have to get a diesel for my commute! I'd like to think mine is a very good example. drop me a PM if you want any more details, it could be for sale for the right price.

It has choice mods, but the ones you want rather than the ones you wouldn't

Coilovers
    Braded lines, Brembo Disks and Ferodo DS2500's
    All servicing bang up to date and undertaken at BTM including All important belts in Dec 2010.
    Car has just gone past 71k
    4 Brand new Toyo T1R's
    2 front lower ball joints and 4 wheel alignment
    Anthracite Speedline Turini's
    take a look on my profile if you want some pic's
    How much?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the differences between the cup model?

Post Thanks / Like

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but i think the main differences are as follows:

Cup:
    larger spoiler
    Cup decals on the door pillars
    slightly different suspension (stiffer, dont know if it was lower)
    Cloth interior instead of leather
    No Xenons
    No engine cover
    No air con

Try getting insurance quotes on both. For some reason i think the cup has a bad rep as i hear of people getting higher premiums for a cup or just flat refusal to insure.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate. Going to look at a couple of standard 172's tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Cup has no abs, hence higher insurance premiums

Post Thanks / Like

Other Cup features not mentioned

Front splitter
    Thinner grade glass all round
    16" Speedline Turinis ET38

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

More advice needed please.
    I've been to look at a 172 tonight and it is absolutely mint. Its on an 02 plate with 72k miles. Body work is in excellent condition and so is the interior. He's got lots of receipts for it including one for £3500 when he bought it 9 months a go from a dealer. It's got 5 stamps in the service book and most old MOT's. The only thing is there is no evidence that the cam belt has been done and he's not sure if it's been done or not. Which probably means it hasn't. So obviously if I get it I will have to get it done straight away. How much do you reckon it's worth? Or should I stay clear? It's in such good nick though.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Cambelt kits is £130 ish (Thats with discount)
    Dephaser £180 i think
    Aux belt kits £100 ish

Labour £150 ish

Add that to a clio thats worth £2000 at best on the books. I'd be having a look around and compare what you could get for the same money. My Phase 1 172 cost me £510 with a snapped cam belt and a private plate on it. Its owes me now £1100 fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah belts, dephaser & tensioners are due @ 70k so looking at around £500 fitted IIRC inc a dephaser, there are a few people on clio16valver.com that will do them or cliosport..
    I'd never do another, the aux belt is a right faff, cambelt is a piece of piss with the right tools, which you need 100% ...
    may as well do the water pump since they are about £20 or so....
    If it's not strong money & it's mint it may be worth a punt, but make sure you book the car in ASAP for the belts etc or you will regret it, also needs to be done by someone who knows the engine IMO or it will be bodged with tippex marks

Post Thanks / Like

£3500 will buy you a tidy 182

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    £3500 will buy you a tidy 182

you can get a tidy 182's for £2000-2250
    tidy 172's go from £1100-1600
    tidy ph's 1 172 £500-1100
    book price is a lot lower

172 ph1 non runners go from £300-550 [snapped belts etc]
    172 ph2 non runners go from £500-1000[snapped belts etc]
    182 non runners go from £1000-1400 [snapped belts etc]

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If your intrested my friend is selling her 05 plate 182 cup for £3500 ono its done around 60'000 with full history has had recent cambelt kit inc alternator belt and tensioner.

It has a couple of mod's such as full ktec stainless steel exhaust,panel filter and a remap made 193 bhp @the flywheel when rolling roaded.

Lowered 40mm on apex springs.Its a really clean car shes only had it 6 months after buying it from my friend at a renault main dealer.

If you want details of pictures pm me
    Last edited by Luke M; 06-03-2012 at 11:11.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
    If your intrested my friend is selling her 05 plate 182 cup for £3500 ono its done around 60'000 with full history has had recent cambelt kit inc alternator belt and tensioner.

It has a couple of mod's such as full ktec stainless steel exhaust,panel filter and a remap made 193 bhp @the flywheel when rolling roaded.

Lowered 40mm on apex springs.Its a really clean car shes only had it 6 months after buying it from my friend at a renault main dealer.

If you want details of pictures pm me
    I've bought one now

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok mate no worries.Happy motoring

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
    Ok mate no worries.Happy motoring
    I'm after a set of 40mm lowering springs though if you know of any?