Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5 GTT 172 Project

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Phase 1 172 ECU Demobilised (emulator) & group N map
    cripes, that all looks a bit delicate

Post Thanks / Like

well done with the conversion mate

seems you have to have a tungy grey r5 to have the conversion lol, 3rd 1 so far, many more to come im sure.

steves will b bak out this year, decided to get it bk up 2gether now so just the final bits to be done so shudnt b long now

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a little play with the R5 today as been out replacing brake pads on the Zafira GSI yet again (The thing seems to bloody eat them).

Anyway had the R5 battery on charge over night as I thought it was flat as I tried to start the car last night and nothing. So have given the battery a good few hours charge and to find out that this has made no difference = conclussion battery is fubbard going to try and jump with some leads later when i can be arsed now.

Only things left to do now is tidy up the wiring and connect up some of the dash gauges and obviously get a new battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by James5; 24-03-2009 at 14:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would have another crack at the old girl tonight. Got the Zafira with Jump leads connected up and went for a turnover starter sounded but no fuel pump noise this is a little odd as it was at least sounding before I sent the ECU away going to go over my wiring to make sure all is OK anyday now she will be running

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey mate, is she still not going, you have the patience of a saint, i'd have thrown that ecu across the road, jumped in the Zaf & run it over a few times, then got onto Scoff or someone else about standalone

If you need a hand you know where i am matey, i had all this with my old Rover when i stuck her on management, ballache, the map i put into the ex48 in the end only just got me to track n road Not that i'm offering to map anything like, just stand around drinking your tea

Really getting tempted to get a sneaky project on the go

Keep it up matey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Blimey mate, is she still not going, you have the patience of a saint, i'd have thrown that ecu across the road, jumped in the Zaf & run it over a few times, then got onto Scoff or someone else about standalone

If you need a hand you know where i am matey, i had all this with my old Rover when i stuck her on management, ballache, the map i put into the ex48 in the end only just got me to track n road Not that i'm offering to map anything like, just stand around drinking your tea

Really getting tempted to get a sneaky project on the go

Keep it up matey

Patience has nothing to do with it nowadays its a lack of interest and when I get some interest I have a play then I loose interest again.

I am seriously considering going standalone but not sure if Lauren will let me spend much more on the R5.

Steve you know you want a project matey go on do it

Post Thanks / Like

Patience has nothing to do with it nowadays its a lack of interest and when I get some interest I have a play then I loose interest again.

I am seriously considering going standalone but not sure if Lauren will let me spend much more on the R5.

Steve you know you want a project matey go on do it

We'll end up having to rent a place together if i did mate, Lauren will kick you out & Kelly me
    I still may try though, just not sure which way to go, GTT with a different engine or clio turbo.. or something completely different..
    Keep on with it though matey & if you fancy having a go sometime give me a shout, sometimes a fresh set of eyes can help (i hate wiring as well though )

Post Thanks / Like

looks like another nice conversion mate

keep with it defo great conversion to be done, neva had mine n/a as i brought mine with it already turbo charged, drives so smooth tho, mines runnin emerald management and neva had a single prob so mite be a worth while inverstment mate

all the best

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveR5GTT View Post
    looks like another nice conversion mate

keep with it defo great conversion to be done, neva had mine n/a as i brought mine with it already turbo charged, drives so smooth tho, mines runnin emerald management and neva had a single prob so mite be a worth while inverstment mate

all the best
    bout time you gave that car to me....aint it....stevO`..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    bout time you gave that car to me....aint it....stevO`..
    ha ha nice try bud, cudnt sell it in the end, just didnt seem worth while so left it sat in the garage but found the love again so back to pod this year lol

drop me a txt mate ive lost ur number

best not clog up this thread chat on the say hello section just started thread on there bud

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Definetely...sorry james , hope your gettin on better with the car today buddy...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would have another crack at the old girl tonight. Got the Zafira with Jump leads connected up and went for a turnover starter sounded but no fuel pump noise this is a little odd as it was at least sounding before I sent the ECU away going to go over my wiring to make sure all is OK anyday now she will be running
    Chin up mate.. look on the bright side, I haven't even plugged on my sensors yet

isn't the fuel pump powered by a 4 pin relay with just a signal wire to the fuel pump relay? and then a live feed from the relay..

have you got a multimeter? I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs but get one of your probes on the signal wire and see if you're getting anything when cranking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    Chin up mate.. look on the bright side, I haven't even plugged on my sensors yet

isn't the fuel pump powered by a 4 pin relay with just a signal wire to the fuel pump relay? and then a live feed from the relay..

have you got a multimeter? I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs but get one of your probes on the signal wire and see if you're getting anything when cranking
    I have spent last night going around the car and sorting fuel pump problem turned out that the fuel pump live feed had a split in the circuit a bit of solder and heat shrink stuff and all is good took me long enough though to find where it was, I even took the fuel pump of to test that was ok.

Really need toget another battery as it is really fubbard. I turned the key last night I had fuel to the rail and the starter was sounding (Not enough power to get her to turnover though).

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Really need toget another battery as it is really fubbard. I turned the key last night I had fuel to the rail and the starter was sounding (Not enough power to get her to turnover though).
    Awsome, glad you sorted it.. so is it just a battery between you and getting the car on the road?

Post Thanks / Like

Awsome, glad you sorted it.. so is it just a battery between you and getting the car on the road?

Looks like the original 172 starter was fubbard (solenoid given up) I took it off and it would not work tried another good condition GTT uprated starter and that worked fine so going to use that. Going to put the working starter on tonight going to try cranking with the exisiting battery if not going to nick the battery out of my Zafira to get it hopefully running.

I hate electrics - still got some gauges to wire up once finally running.

Fingers crossed it works if so they may be a video upload tonight (but knowing my luck something else will fail or I have not done correct

Post Thanks / Like

Really getting pissed off now.

Fitted the R5 GTT starter to the car tonight and started the car all good fuel pump went starter sounded but it is not turning the fly (You can hear the starter motor spimming) moved the spacer to different places and still no difference even tried without it and it made no difference.
    Had a look at it compared to my standard knackered 172 jobby and noticed that it is the same bolt fitment but the starter cog does not stick out as much as the 172 jobby

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

you sure that the pinion isn't just stuck in, ie it isn't jumping out to meet the flywheel when you crank ? are you able to grab the pinion cog in the starter and pull out outward (it should spring back in when you let go). Or, is it stuck fast ? may just be siezed up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    you sure that the pinion isn't just stuck in, ie it isn't jumping out to meet the flywheel when you crank ? are you able to grab the pinion cog in the starter and pull out outward (it should spring back in when you let go). Or, is it stuck fast ? may just be siezed up.
    Pinion is definatly jumping out on the GTT starter when cranking and when I test it out of the engine bay aswell you can see it all working, and as you describe you can pull the pinion out by hand and it will spring back.

Out of interest what starter motor's are you other boys using on your 172 lumps??

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

mines a volvo jobbie... Used to have a 172 one on but it died!

Post Thanks / Like

i rebuilt 1 out of two feked units. Seems to be lasting!

Post Thanks / Like

hurry up and get it sorted James, you're scaring me about the magnitude of getting this swap running...

Post Thanks / Like

Phase 1 172 ECU Demobilised (emulator) & group N map
    I'm a bit lost, did you get RS Tuner, or ECUclinic to do this? I guess it's the same job for use with a fbw throttle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    hurry up and get it sorted James, you're scaring me about the magnitude of getting this swap running...

LOL it's just me being simple I have bitten the bullet and purchased a brand new 182 starter

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit lost, did you get RS Tuner, or ECUclinic to do this? I guess it's the same job for use with a fbw throttle?

It was RStuning who did it all in the end nice bloke called Paul cost about £130 just for the demobilisaton and I ran the RStuner unit for the Group N map from a friends RStuner unit

http://www.rstuning.co.uk/

With ref to the fbw ecu (phase 2) it doesn't need an emulator I believe it is all software changes

Post Thanks / Like

It was RStuning who did it all in the end nice bloke called Paul cost about £130 just for the demobilisaton and I ran the RStuner unit for the Group N map from a friends RStuner unit

http://www.rstuning.co.uk/

With ref to the fbw ecu (phase 2) it doesn't need an emulator I believe it is all software changes
    sweet, once I get the ECU in my hand (hopefully Sunday) I'll be able to give him a shout.

Post Thanks / Like

A 2nd hand 172/182 starter motor has turned up today which I purchased from the www.cliosport.net site. I tested it on my lunch break with the old jump leads to battery and power probe to solenoid and all seems good it engages and the motor turns, if the Mrs's will alllow me out to play tonight I will fit it and see what happens.
    Last edited by James5; 02-04-2009 at 13:45.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what size drive belt you used? I need a 835mm belt but can't seem to find one anywhere

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what size drive belt you used? I need a 835mm belt but can't seem to find one anywhere
    I believe 827

Post Thanks / Like

I believe 827
    As Andy says I ended up using an 5pk827 belt which I got from Halfords looked like it had been sitting around for a few years as the packaging was knackered. There isn't much play in my belt for manoverouring the alt about so you probably get away with an 830 matey try some local motor factors to see what they can get hold of.
    I am led to believe that and Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 t spark and BMW e46 uses a 5pk830 belt? but I can't be 100%.
    Last edited by James5; 03-04-2009 at 13:49.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

As Andy says I ended up using an 5pk827 belt which I got from Halfords looked like it had been sitting around for a few years as the packaging was knackered. There isn't much play in my belt for manoverouring the alt about so you probably get away with an 830 matey try some local motor factors to see what they can get hold of.
    I am led to believe that and Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 t spark and BMW e46 uses a 5pk830 belt? but I can't be 100%.
    Does the 5pk relate to the number of teeth on the pulley?

Post Thanks / Like

Does the 5pk relate to the number of teeth on the pulley?
    Its the number of ribs / grooves and the numbers after is the length in mm

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Its the number of ribs / grooves and the numbers after is the length in mm
    cool thanks

I found a place that sells just about every length .. http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m28b0s0p0

wierd though I'm sure I counted six peaks on the belt - but I guess that works out as 5 on the pulley.. eek hope I've ordered the right one

Post Thanks / Like

cool thanks

I found a place that sells just about every length .. http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m28b0s0p0

wierd though I'm sure I counted six peaks on the belt - but I guess that works out as 5 on the pulley.. eek hope I've ordered the right one
    The belt should be a 6pk matey but I have not been able to source a 6pk of the correct size but I will take a look at that link you have got and see if I can get a 6pk version

Post Thanks / Like

The belt should be a 6pk matey but I have not been able to source a 6pk of the correct size but I will take a look at that link you have got and see if I can get a 6pk version
    I can find Dayco and Gates do a 6pk825 or Gates do a stretch belt 6pk831

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I can find Dayco and Gates do a 6pk825 or Gates do a stretch belt 6pk831

I have already tried an 825 and it is doesn't fit to small

Post Thanks / Like

since you're not driving the aircon or the PAS you probably don't need all those grooves.

Post Thanks / Like

Well have got the starter motor on and she now fires, but doesn't hold idle see video attached any idea's? She is defo getting fuel to the rail and obviously sparkies are firing aswell.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=MVI_4989.flv

Post Thanks / Like

how are you setting the fuel pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

how are you setting the fuel pressure?

I have got a Bosch 3bar fpr on the fuel rail, or am I not thinking on the correct lines here

Post Thanks / Like

I have got a Bosch 3bar fpr on the fuel rail, or am I not thinking on the correct lines here
    possibly... it sounds like a lack of fuel to me, not sure what pressure the 172 should have?? I think it's normally set in the fuel tank, and only a single pipe goes to the engine - correct me if I'm wrong. What have you done with the reference pipe on the regulator - is there one? Do you have any leaks in the plenum?

Post Thanks / Like

possibly... it sounds like a lack of fuel to me, not sure what pressure the 172 should have?? I think it's normally set in the fuel tank, and only a single pipe goes to the engine - correct me if I'm wrong. What have you done with the reference pipe on the regulator - is there one? Do you have any leaks in the plenum?

I think the 172 run on 3bar fpr's as you say built into the tank, the reference pipe goes to the inlet plenium (the same way as Scoff & Ashys does). Not sure about plenium leaks all should be good will double check though

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 172 run on 3bar fpr's as you say built into the tank, the reference pipe goes to the inlet plenium (the same way as Scoff & Ashys does). Not sure about plenium leaks all should be good will double check though
    Ok, unplug that pipe, and block the hole in the plenum... the standard reg won't be referenced to the plenum.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, unplug that pipe, and block the hole in the plenum... the standard reg won't be referenced to the plenum.

Fuel pump sounds a little dogey removed the fuel line to the rail and nothing looks like I am sending it back as it's new

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel pump sounds a little dogey removed the fuel line to the rail and nothing looks like I am sending it back as it's new
    just stick your GT pump on for a bit, it'll be Ok to get idling

Post Thanks / Like

do you have any fuel in the tank?

Post Thanks / Like

do you have any fuel in the tank?

GTT pump went ages ago and i have 1/2 tank of 99ron stuff which i put in last week with 3 big jerry cans
    Last edited by James5; 03-04-2009 at 22:43.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

GTT pump went ages ago and i have 1/2 tank of 99ron stuff which i put in last week with 3 big jerry cans
    normally dodgy sounding pumps are sounding dodgy because they are dry. you have the fuel pipes (send/return/breather) hooked up right on the tank ?

Post Thanks / Like

and do this, checked the manual and the 172 uses a flat 3 bar reg, connect it like Scoff/Ashy when/if you go standalone.

Post Thanks / Like

and do this, checked the manual and the 172 uses a flat 3 bar reg, connect it like Scoff/Ashy when/if you go standalone.

To atmosphere it is then my friend