Post Thanks / Like

Paint removers

Hi, iv just got a set of phase 1 bumpers for my pearl 5, now under neath they look good with no scuffs or marks, but they have had a coat of paint, no primer just one coat of paint which has fell off in places anyway, does anyone know what I can use to get the rest off? don't want to use thinners in case it melts the plastic! going to try a jet wash tonight, but suggestion s or experience would be a help, cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint removers

yea, as you say , a high pressure jet wash, give it soem welly!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that thinners will melt your plastic bumper tbh but you want
    to start with the least aggressive method as possible keep them as close to original as possible
    so you can start with.
    1. A darn good jet wash a brush to try and shift the flaky paint
    2. Thinners but a weak mixture ( maybe try a 50/50 water and thinners firs)that you test on the corner of the bumper first how it goes.
    3. Add more strength of thinners as or if required

Post Thanks / Like

Soda blasting is supposed to be a safe way of removing paint off plastics.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

if its started to flake off already the paint obviously isnt keyed properly get a steam cleaner on them mate it should bring it off no problem steer clear of thinners etc as it may discolour the nice plastic underneath

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linni View Post
    if its started to flake off already the paint obviously isnt keyed properly get a steam cleaner on them mate it should bring it off no problem steer clear of thinners etc as it may discolour the nice plastic underneath
    If it's been keyed properly the bumper will be scratched from the key process underneath and look rough as a badgers @rse probably so lets hope it isn't not done properly!

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

only go as close as you need too.. the petrol washer i've used before could blow a hole in it..

Post Thanks / Like

Bertie boy, it never crossed my big thick geordie scull it may have been rubbed down, it does not look like it has, but its really hard to tell with it having all the little dimples on the bumper, its ok I dont have to pay for them until I see what there like under the paint!
    dave mate where is the best place in town for a good jet wash?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123-gtt View Post
    Bertie boy, it never crossed my big thick geordie scull it may have been rubbed down, it does not look like it has, but its really hard to tell with it having all the little dimples on the bumper, its ok I dont have to pay for them until I see what there like under the paint!
    dave mate where is the best place in town for a good jet wash?

Yeah Dave, where can Alan get a hot soapy rub down near Reading?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by V Man View Post
    Yeah Dave, where can Alan get a hot soapy rub down near Reading?
    mums free at the weekend as im away...

i have a poxy yellow one you can try first.. the petrol one belongs to the boss and if i break it i have to pay for it..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
    mums free at the weekend as im away...

i have a poxy yellow one you can try first.. the petrol one belongs to the boss and if i break it i have to pay for it..

Post Thanks / Like

did a bit of jetting last night at sansburys took a bit off, but its going to cost me a fortune to do it all, one of the garages round the corner had got a stream cleaner, going to have to grease some pockets tonight?
    Iv just double checked the bumper and it looks like it had not been rubbed down thank god!
    So I'm fairly happy I can save this one, but the front bumper looks like a no go as its had a repair then paint, so I'm on a mission for a front now, anyone got any ideas?
    Bert get that list sorted, its your xmas box

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by V Man View Post

That's all right dave mate, got one round the corner, remember I live in the westside, I can get anything
    OXFARD RURD MASSIVE, YER MAN

Post Thanks / Like

right all the paint is off, had to use thinners in the end, but did not seem to harm the plastic at all
    Only thing is now, it looks to be a slightly different shade, less creamy in colour, more darker, has anyone came across this before? thought they were all the same? Dont think it was the thinners,as it has not got any darker through the process, and iv done a load of test areas on the inside and no discolouring at all, does anyone think it may lighten as the sun gets on it, or does that sound stupid