Post Thanks / Like

Still smoking after fitting new head:-( Any ideas?

Hi, Let me give you some history. Head blew at Cadwell, went for cheap fix and just replaced with group a gasket. No Smoke for first half hour. Then smoked again. Bought performance head of CGB motorsport, got this fitted, still smoking. The mechanic said the liners seemd to look OK and there were no issues with the pistons. To me it looks like we have a cracked piston liner.
    The smoke i think is both steam and oil. Oil doesnt look milky.

I am thinking of firstly getting the engine pressure tested to see if we have any big differences which could indicate a problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Still smoking after fitting new head:-( Any ideas?

i remember when i had a problem with the car smoking, was fount out to be piston rings but i decided to replace pistons, rings and liners as the engine had done 108k been faultless since

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Hi, Let me give you some history. Head blew at Cadwell, went for cheap fix and just replaced with group a gasket. No Smoke for first half hour. Then smoked again. Bought performance head of CGB motorsport, got this fitted, still smoking. The mechanic said the liners seemd to look OK and there were no issues with the pistons. To me it looks like we have a cracked piston liner.
    The smoke i think is both steam and oil. Oil doesnt look milky.

I am thinking of firstly getting the engine pressure tested to see if we have any big differences which could indicate a problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan
    Has it been smoking straight after working on it? Have you driven it at all or just had it sat on idle? If so then it could be crap in the exhaust which is burning off that went in there when gasket went.

If you have driven it around was the new head pressure tested and checked for cracks? Does it idle fine, water not pressurizing?
    Last edited by Markey Mark (BD); 17-12-2011 at 16:52.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

As mark says, sometimes it takes a run up and down the motorway for 30mins to dry out the baffles and clean the exhaust up. It's amazing how much water a silencer will hold

Post Thanks / Like

take the turbo off the manifold to see if its the turbo smoking. - check for wet exhaust wheel too...

Post Thanks / Like

Cars steam alot in this type of weather, ideally it needs a compression check to check condition of rings/liners/valves, check for the coolant system pressurising/loosing water, if water and oil arent mixing its a good sign. If compressions ok, then give it a bit of a run keeping an eye on things.