Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

fuel pump and filter setup?

Hi,

My car recently killed what looked like a fairly new fuel pump. When I took it off it looked like it had some sh!t in the pump... I then fitted a new pump and drove the car a few miles before removing. Again the new pump also had some cr@p in it... Looked like bits of muck from the tank...

Anyway I've just got a new pump and filter to go on and when lying under the car I've noticed that the way its setup is:

Tank - Pump - Fuel Filter - FPR.

Now I would of thought the filter should be before the pump? Can anyone confirm?

Looking at the way the brackets are mounted it actually looks like its correct but it doesn't make sense to me?!

Cheers Ashy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fuel pump and filter setup?

Pump before filter is correct on ph2 mate. I think a lot of efi cars are setup the same?? Check the gauze is on the bottom of the sender in tank.

Post Thanks / Like

ph1's ran the filter before the pump

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I think im gona modify mine to the phase 1 setup then

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe just a bit of sh1t in the tank,id be tempted to run as low as you can on fuel,remove sender unit and try and soak all the crap out with a sponge,should be ok then as luckily gt's have plastic tanks,metal ones stand the chance of rust flaking of inside and clogging filters/pumps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    I think im gona modify mine to the phase 1 setup then
    That's how I ran Trusty & the old Raider.

Never could understand why Renault decided to locate the filter post-pump on the ph2's, unless their idea was to double it up as a surge/reservoir pot as well? (the size/diameter of it is a bit overkill for a simple fuel filter).

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Never could understand why Renault decided to locate the filter post-pump on the ph2's, unless their idea was to double it up as a surge/reservoir pot as well? (the size/diameter of it is a bit overkill for a simple fuel filter).
    Yeah, all seems a bit weird? Anyhow mines now uo and running with the phase 1 setup...

Thanks Chaps.

Post Thanks / Like

On the race cars we run a sock on the pickup and a filter after the pump, I guess the pump will make debris, plus the pump will push the fuel through a clogging filter, but will cavitate when sucking through one.

That said I put the filter before the pump on my 5, I think I was worried abut sticking 7 bar into it.

The Twingo has a sock on the pickup and filter on the pump exit, and thinking about it so do all the EFI cars I can think of.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    On the race cars we run a sock on the pickup and a filter after the pump, I guess the pump will make debris, plus the pump will push the fuel through a clogging filter, but will cavitate when sucking through one.

That said I put the filter before the pump on my 5, I think I was worried abut sticking 7 bar into it.

The Twingo has a sock on the pickup and filter on the pump exit, and thinking about it so do all the EFI cars I can think of.

You will be getting some new socks for Xmas then. Ho Ho!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    Aii, true, although I'd have thought there's more chance of debris originating from the tank (or fuel itself; ie, from the forecourt pumps), than from the actual fuel pump internals failing? Have you ever known a pump (components) to break up before it fails altogether?

Still not sure why Renault felt the need to stick a Heinz soup tin sized filter in situ though?

Post Thanks / Like

Aii, true, although I'd have thought there's more chance of debris originating from the tank (or fuel itself; ie, from the forecourt pumps), than from the actual fuel pump internals failing? Have you ever known a pump (components) to break up before it fails altogether?

Still not sure why Renault felt the need to stick a Heinz soup tin sized filter in situ though?
    I think it's more a case of the pump being able to pass pretty big bits (relative to the filter in the tank) but the injectors will throw a hissy fit at the smallest of particles (ie the type of swarf produced by the pump). I don't know what the pressure drop across a filter is at full flow, but clearly one with more surface area will flow better.

You should see the size of the filter I fitted (biggest one in halfords that would fit under the floor)

Post Thanks / Like

I also had a similar issue with a new pump, it was one of those e-Bay fse pumps advertised for the GT turbo, I ran the filter after the pump as per the original set up and it lasted all of 20 miles. ( Admittedly the fuel level was ran very low) so I purchased another one and put the filter before the pump, ran fine for a good 2000 miles.

Although in an attempt to keep the flote full I swapped them back around, as I found once down to a quarter of a tank my afr's would suddenly lean out at around 5k rpm mostly when I was going uphill, I also changed my fpr and the carb jetting at the same time so can't say for sure it was the pump/filter set up at fault.