Post Thanks / Like

F7R start up idle too high / 2000rpm

Fitted the williams engine to my 19 16v and started up yesterday .
    without the throttle cable even fitted she starts up and reaches 2000rpm straight away then starts creeping up to 3-3.5k rpm gradually ,the engine will thankfuly die if i block the icv which means there is not a leak on the inlet manifold etc .
    it feels almost like the ICV is being opened further more as the engine keeps sucking and not controlled by the ecu

I have tried 3 different icvs and the result is the same . i checked the icv wiring which seems to be fine but having no idea what the measurements have to be i could not check all 3 connectors with a multimeter .
    However the icv is being primed when the ignition is turned on .

Also suspect the ecu , which is fitted with a chip carrier and is currently holding a summeh 180 chip in there .
    I have changed 2 throttle bodies again there is no difference .

anyone experienced similar before ??
    I know it will turn out to be something really simple and stupid

Next on cards is to swap the ecu with the one from my R9
    on monday but till then please fire away da ideas

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: F7R start up idle too high / 2000rpm

Sounds like an air leak from the inlet itself but have you tried another TB could be knackered TPS. I had a similar problem on the f7p turned out the injector O ring was knackered that went into the head

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem with my old williams, turned out it was a problem with the back of the dash. Swapped the cluster and it worked fine, I'm sure the idle control is linked to the speedo or something along those lines, maybe have a look at some wiring diagrams? Do you have access to Autodata?

Post Thanks / Like

i would say its the chipped ecu i had a r19 track car and when i fitted a chipped ecu it would start and idle at 2000rpm for a few mins and then rise up to 3500rpm idle when warm.

Post Thanks / Like

I has this same prob on a valver I built in the summer. I managed to get from the breakers a decent tps (with wires still intact lol). And an idle control valve (when shaken if they rattle their goodens) and sorted the problem. I did need to play with the tps until it idled where I wanted.