Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

clio 182 and 182 cup

hi guys
    due to recent developments i no longer need our diesel work horse
    so im thinking about a 182 or a 182 cup (poss a 172/cup)
    so is there a large diffrence between the two
    i prefer the seats in the standard model but if the cup is far superior then id
    suffer the slightly less desireable seats

had a drive in a mates 172 cup and the way it corners was just awsome
    it just encourages you to throw it around (wish the 5 was half as good)
    i got the feeling that on a track without long straights you could embarass
    a lot of fancy cars with it

thoughts appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clio 182 and 182 cup

I looked into these earlier in the year, before deciding to keep the Evo...for now. Imho, if it's to be mainly a road car/daily driver, go for the full fat model & enjoy the creature comforts. If it's going to live its life on track, go for the Cup model, and the 172 at that.

There's also the 182 Trophy, which is bad ass for sure, but I was never convinced it's worth 2-3x more than a 'normal' 182/Cup...

Power wise, the extra weight of the 182/Cup nullifies the slight HP increase it has over the 172 equivalents. Something that Renault have unfortunately continued with the 197/200 models.

Post Thanks / Like

my budget wont streach to a trophy thats for sure
    our disco is our main car so the clio would be just for me toing and froing from work
    possibly the occasional track day (prob nat day as i cant see the 5 being finished in time)

due to finacial changes and the disco the clio would have to be bought outright so have about 3ish to play with once the golfs sold

what are the diffrences between the two besides the seats?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Clio 182 with cup packs is awesome, such a good package.. mothers is still going well and not been a problem after 40k from new. Killed the replaced brakes from the autofactors so stuck brembo max with ds2500 for her... She hasn't noticed any difference but I do when I drive it.

Biggest mistake was not sticking with the exaltos2, they will be back.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can remember, no climate control/air-con, no abs (I think the 182 Cup retained abs though?), no xenons, no auto-headlights, no headlamp washers, no rain-sensitive wipers, basic seats, basic interior, no engine cover, less sound deadening.

One thing the 182 Cup does have in its favour though, is the very cool 'smurf blue' colour, which, imho, is one of the greatest colours Renault has ever applied to any of its range of cars.

If it were me, for a daily driver/once in a while blat-around, I'd go for the 182 FF with Cup packs. For a track car/Sunday afternoon B-road thrasher, it'd be the 172 Cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post

Biggest mistake was not sticking with the exaltos2, they will be back.
    Afraid they won't, they are now discontinued. Managed to nab the last two that camskill had for the Trophy and not seen any others elsewhere.

Mart there have been some very "keenly" priced Trophy's available recently, still more expensive than a normal 182 but closer.
    Last edited by Hoolio; 10-12-2011 at 23:14.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys
    think there maybe a 172 cup in the family soon

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been threatning to sell my Trophy for the last cpl of years , and ive still got it ,Its our only transport at the moment and we have got by with it since the wee one came along its not exactly practicle with baby seat in the back and pram in the boot ,Im really wanting to buy a Audi a4 2.0T avant black edition but the clio needs to go first ,keep hoping someone will come along and want to buy the trophy although ive never advertised it proper , it has 32k miles full service history ,no mods ,1 owner from new and novelty plate ,looking for £6k ono . When looking on auto trader and PH's i think its worth every penny with being 1 owner and such low miles most are over the 50k mile mark and have a few owners now and still selling for over £5k

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
    Ive been threatning to sell my Trophy for the last cpl of years , and ive still got it ,Its our only transport at the moment and we have got by with it since the wee one came along its not exactly practicle with baby seat in the back and pram in the boot ,Im really wanting to buy a Audi a4 2.0T avant black edition but the clio needs to go first ,keep hoping someone will come along and want to buy the trophy although ive never advertised it proper , it has 32k miles full service history ,no mods ,1 owner from new and novelty plate ,looking for £6k ono . When looking on auto trader and PH's i think its worth every penny with being 1 owner and such low miles most are over the 50k mile mark and have a few owners now and still selling for over £5k

sounds very nice but way out of my price range

if youve got little uns i cant recommend a discovery 3 enought
    i didnt want to sell the r32 but have to admit the discs been great

Post Thanks / Like

i use a clio 172 cup as my daily

the only thing i very very rarely want for is a/c.

when i recently changed jobs my drive to work went up alot and i planned to get a diesel due to the mileage but the clio will do 45mpg if i drive sensibly and im willing to sacrifice a few mpg for the pure fun the clio is on the country lanes
    Last edited by mike r5 gtt; 11-12-2011 at 17:21.

Post Thanks / Like

ive owned the clio trophy and driven my mates 182 full fat and i preferred the full fat over the trophy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    ive owned the clio trophy and driven my mates 182 full fat and i preferred the full fat over the trophy
    You clearly had a pretty crap copy of the T then. In what way was it preferable?

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Mart;245269]From what I can remember, no climate control/air-con, no abs (I think the 182 Cup retained abs though?), no xenons, no auto-headlights, no headlamp washers, no rain-sensitive wipers,

I personally think not having these things is better. common for failing amd expensive to repair, offer very little benefit when you consider the cost of the items.

Post Thanks / Like

Phs 2 Cup is a real nice car to drive, back to basics in a good way. There's a lot of people out there though that say for the sake of say .3 of a second 0-60 etc they'd rather have all the extras mentioned above.

I've never had it personally so can't miss things I've never had

Always fancied owning the cup model and glad I bought one, perfect everyday car plus occasional trackday. I would say upgrade the front discs, pads, braided lines.... Done

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

182 Full Fat wiv da cozwurf kit since March, absolutely love it. I wanted the 182 with both cup packs because I wanted da boost and the creature comforts aswell. Only problem ive had is the washers playing up and not spraying constant. 6quid a pump on ebay, man you got rip off, Citroen ones are the same and alot cheaper for some reason. I bought 2 as the 182 has 2 pumps and its perfect again.

Its completely standard apart from the stainless steel stereo, but its been on the track without any problems at all, apart from the stage 3 kickbox. I probably woudlnt change a thing, more than happy with the performance, dump valve, handling and brakes. Superb little car out of the box. Can`t see me getting rid of this Orion for a very long time. Ya mumma!

Post Thanks / Like

I've just picked up an 04 plate 172 & am glad this thread is running, can't wait to get in it now, was bought to sell on but I can see me keeping it for a track car

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say there is a difference between 182, 182 cup but you can also get a 182 with cup packs. cup pack 1 is the styling bit's, front splitter and roof spoiler, pack 2 is the suspension and wheels in anthracite.

with a cup packed 182 you get all the extras which aren't on the cup i.e aircon, cruise control, xenons, leather seats ect. you also get a better range of colours as the 182 cup only came in two colours, one of which is the inferno orange

I went with a 172 cup as i prefer the colour and wheels, the seats are the same as all the other clio range except trophy which have recaro trendlines but just have different covers, personally i don't like leather seats. Also i'm not a huge fan of the twin exhaust on the 182

Post Thanks / Like

I went into 172 ownership 3 ears ago courtesy of Shop Boy and the blue phase 1 Clio 172, the first drive it felt so refined and comfortable i knew i made the right choice. I genuinly couldn't think of a reason to sell it as it ticked all the boxes for me.... Until the white 172 shell with the Cup cage came up for sale. Pretty much the sae car but fully stripped out and taken to the limit.

The 172 Cup for me is the best colour, the best looking 172 with the Speedline Turinis. If i were to upgrade to the 182 it would definitely have to be the 'RB' Racing Blue Clio 182, yet again the best colour.

The only downside (being picky) are the 16" wheels therefore the cost of decent make tyres. The phase 1 Clios run on 15s so the tyres are cheaper. I just put 4 new Premium Contact 2 tyres on the Cup last weekend at a cost of £352. But, it's the price you pay for good rubber

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    You clearly had a pretty crap copy of the T then. In what way was it preferable?
    the seats mainly, the seats may be recaro but i hated them, the trophy should of been made in the same sort of way like the r26r

and the dampers on my trophy were fine also, not saying the trophy wasnt a great car tho cause it was great but imo i would have a full fat