Post Thanks / Like

Looked at a 5 today

Seemed pretty solid body wise, no rust showing and looked like it might have had a divers sill, engine wise it seemed to have an oil leak from the rocker cos there was oil on the underside of the bonnet and on the boost pipes, looked like it was coming from the nuts that hold the rocker cover down, is this common, is it an easy fix? Also the oil pressure gauge wasn't wrking but it seemed to run fine, poss causes?

Cheese guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looked at a 5 today

hellow yer a common problem oil seeping past the rocker nuts easy fix you can get replacement cheap phase 1 turbo (mike) will have some oil pressure gauge rarely works on a gtt ive had 19 and only 1 ever worked

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, don't be afraid to take one of your local reps down with you if time allows them or if you want advice drop them a pm. You've got some great people in that neck of the woods who I know would be willing to help you out!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys, yeah I wo thinking of asking someone but it was kinda last min today, reg was H508 URR anybody know it?, very original looking with minor engine mods, guys got it up for 2.5k

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody?

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As said above,

Rocker cover nuts leak when the fibre seals are old, buy new OE renault ones (green) from mike Phase1 16V on here (a quid or so each).

Oil pressure guage will be the wire falling off the transducer at the front of the engine, or the transducer has failed, or the main engine loom connector behind the left headlight needs a clean, or the dash guage is U/S. All cheap / easy fixes.

Having a sill done is no bad thing, they will all need some TLC by now - check the other one and for rust by the rear bumper mounts, and the front inner arches by the bumper mounts.

If your unsure get some pics up

Post Thanks / Like

oil on the bonnet probably means its being flicked/blown there, was there any other signs of a leak?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    oil on the bonnet probably means its being flicked/blown there, was there any other signs of a leak?
    Not that I cud see mate just looked like it was round the nuts that hold the rocker down

Post Thanks / Like

dificult to tell without looking at it but i think oil from the rocker would struggle to get to the bonnet. oil vapour from an open breather or dipstick popped out or something is more likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Open breather? I'm very new to these engines lol don't think dipstick had popped out tho

Post Thanks / Like

What colour was this 5 you looked at? cheers

Post Thanks / Like

It was White buddy why?

Post Thanks / Like

I was planning to view the car tomorrow. Have just checked the history online and was cat c write off in feb 2008.

I am a bit annoyed as I have been speaking with the owner and his pal all week arranging a viewing whilst trying to establish whether this car was worth the 320 mile round trip! All I wanted was honesty to not waste my time.

Shame it look lovely in the pics. Surely not worth anywhere near 2.5k with the write off?

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_O View Post
    I was planning to view the car tomorrow. Have just checked the history online and was cat c write off in feb 2008.

I am a bit annoyed as I have been speaking with the owner and his pal all week arranging a viewing whilst trying to establish whether this car was worth the 320 mile round trip! All I wanted was honesty to not waste my time.

Shame it look lovely in the pics. Surely not worth anywhere near 2.5k with the write off?
    cat c no way worth 2.5k

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm as I suspected Mike. Don't think he would be interested in a realistic figure. Its a real shame, seemed to tick all boxes for what I am after. Id have the asbo orange one off you if it was white!

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm as I suspected Mike. Don't think he would be interested in a realistic figure. Its a real shame, seemed to tick all boxes for what I am after. Id have the asbo orange one off you if it was white!
    It was white many years ago

Post Thanks / Like

if you can get a re-spray included for 2.5k total price I could well be interetsed!

Post Thanks / Like

I just new there was something not right bout this car, so glad I didn't buy it now espesh with the cat c on it!

Post Thanks / Like

id still buy it as long as its vic certified and I only have to part with half the money!

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be hard to re sell for good money if it is on the register.

Post Thanks / Like

If its in good nick and drives ok i don't see cat c as an issue on a car this old??

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to bad mouth it or owt but it's not as clean as he made out to me, he's got it on eBay as been pristine, it's prob worth having but not at the money he wants

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    If its in good nick and drives ok i don't see cat c as an issue on a car this old??
    Fully agree with the above.

A cat C can be anything as simple as stolen recovered. I know this as it happened to my fiesta earlier in the year.

The vic test is just a 'Vehicle Idendtity Check' and as such has no bearing on the quality of the repair work. It just makes sure the car isn't a ringer.

To be honest most cars of this age will have a sketchy past but so long as its not stolen and has been well looked after and maintained there should be no need to worry.

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with other members here. A car as old as a 5 is going to have some history. The book price of the car when it was damaged was probably say only £1000 so if it had a damaged bumper, bonnet and rad from say a little front prang, chances are the insurance company would have wrote it off. Hence the cat C which is generally very low damage. I know it isn't ideal but most of the time it's a good way of getting a nice motor cheaper than others. I would say if the cars in good nik and has what you want why not? Resale value will be hit but who would want to sell there 5 anyways lol

Post Thanks / Like

Im in a dillema with this car!!!!! I agree with what you say about cat c not being a massive issue. I made an offer of 1700, which he still thought was a bit low, but retracted after thinking about what id get in return should i need to sell it. Even if i kept it mint, getting 1700 back wouldnt be easy

Post Thanks / Like

Im in a dillema with this car!!!!! I agree with what you say about cat c not being a massive issue. I made an offer of 1700, which he still thought was a bit low, but retracted after thinking about what id get in return should i need to sell it. Even if i kept it mint, getting 1700 back wouldnt be easy
    Well you have your answer in there, it doesn't make any sense really to buy these cars with thoughts of covering yourself should you wish to sell, like you say the cat c is there and won't go away, if you are not happy now you never will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would add a little update to this as I am still on the hunt for a 5.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-...99754246049798

Stumbled across this nice looking 5 only 40 miles from myself. On closer inspection I noticed the full number plate that had been partially covered in other pictures. Its the CAT C write off!

Anyway I thought I would see if the guy was interested in a deal and mentioned that its CAT C. No such luck, just text abuse and threats of his legal team!?

Stay away from this 'trader'.
    Last edited by Big_O; 12-04-2012 at 13:06.

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to the guy about this R5:

The guy is a trader, took this car as a p/x for something he sold. Has had the car for about a year, taken it out a few times. Car has tax and MOT. Chap is looking for around £2000. Could be a real bargin...

Post Thanks / Like

Depends why it's been written off.

CAT C just means insurance deemed it uneconomical to repair. Given the low insurance values attributed to non-agreed valuation GTTs, you're looking at £1000 writing off a GTT these days.

Lets say it had v light damage that busted nothing other than the front bumper, fogs, grille and put a crease in the bonnet. That could easily come to more than £1000 to fix at an insurance approved body shop.

My Beemer is CAT C. After 18months of flawless use I'm none the wiser as to why it was written off 4yrs ago, it's straight as a die. We can only assume something like someone's angry wife scratched a few panels with a key or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Longest he could of has the car is 4 months as I nearly bought it from a differnet guy in Manchester late December 2012.

The seller now is dodgy and abusive!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Depends why it's been written off.

CAT C just means insurance deemed it uneconomical to repair. Given the low insurance values attributed to non-agreed valuation GTTs, you're looking at £1000 writing off a GTT these days.

Lets say it had v light damage that busted nothing other than the front bumper, fogs, grille and put a crease in the bonnet. That could easily come to more than £1000 to fix at an insurance approved body shop.

My Beemer is CAT C. After 18months of flawless use I'm none the wiser as to why it was written off 4yrs ago, it's straight as a die. We can only assume something like someone's angry wife scratched a few panels with a key or something.
    Totally agree which is why I approached this car again looking for a deal. On mentioning the history he got abusive and said as a trader he runs checks on all his cars and this has no write off history!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sorry, I wasn't suggesting that this car or the current owner were any good.

Post Thanks / Like

He sounds like a nugget, fekin txt spk chavvy advert!!!

Sent him a text to confirm the history of the car within the advert or take it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    He sounds like a nugget, fekin txt spk chavvy advert!!!

Sent him a text to confirm the history of the car within the advert or take it off.

he is defo a bruv nugget! Earlier conversation we had below, I think he makes an indirect threat! As for silly little boy, late 20's 6'6" and 20st looking for a modern classic doesnt really fall into the category of little boy!

"Hi, did you buy your 5 around december time. I saw it for sale in Manchester but then it sold. How come you are selling? Thanks. Ollie"

"not sure if its the same car mate. I am a motor trader thats the reason for sale."

"Ok, did you get it through the auctions?"

"no mate i brought it priv sale"

" Im pretty sure this car is a cat c write off. With this in mind I would offer you £800."

" car aint cat c mate I can assure u as for £800 i'll add that to the list of silly offers but thanks anyway I am sure there is lots of projects out there to suit your pocket."

" the car is cat c. I went to buy it in December last year. Run a hpi on it. As for 800, being a trader I thought you would respect an offer in this region considering the history. If it was straight you would have it up for 3k minimum."

"Mate it aint cat c I have full logbook which I have checked myself as for a bloke with 10 years plus as a trader I will ignore your silly offer could get 2k in parts if u know so much about the car dont wast my time or urs thanks again."

"Someone has done a crafty with the history then, Id happily pay 2k for it if I didn't know. I promise you it is cat c. If someone has provided clean documents the they have done the dirty work for you."

As i said mate its not a cat or a dog its a renault 5 if u wana bid or buy please do if not dont worry about a car you never own and let me get on with my busy life thanks again."

"Good one. try to help someone and they throw it back in your face, Good luck with your bent sale."

If i needed help id seek proffesional advice not micky mouse advice as for throwing it back in your face I go by the saying if your not asked dont get involved and if I hear any more slander of selling bent cars you will hear form my legal tem best wishes".

"bentmotors.com"

Thank u ollie get a life mate you should find one on ebay under things for silly little boys if you want to view the car i am happy to meet u anywhere anytime?"

"Enjoy your cat c. Bye now."

"At last u get the message hip hip ****ing horay! think the only write off is ur social skills fool."

"Yes you are right, my social skills have taken a down turn since fatherhood. Maybe I will be back on top of my game one day. Hopefully by not being a cocky 'trader' that lashes out at genuine buyers with genuine information."

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell him youve put a thread up on here letting. 1000 fellow Renault turbo owners that the cars dodgy and we're all spreading the word..

Some people are just aids.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we could all send him a message at exactly the same time! Asking is this a CAT C WRITE OFF? He might get the message then.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chezzer85 View Post
    Maybe we could all send him a message at exactly the same time! Asking is this a CAT C WRITE OFF? He might get the message then.
    brilliant idea!

hate lieing traders! i sold my mk1 golf to a trader who said he was a vw enthusiast and he knew so much about them and said he was going to keep it and look after it take it to shows etc.the next week it was for sale for double the price i sold it for

sorry for the rant just hate traders

Post Thanks / Like

He sounds like a arse. I bought mine as a cat D for £1100 all it had was a dented wing and corner of front bumper broken. There's plenty of good examples about. Warn everyone off that car

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would add a little update to this as I am still on the hunt for a 5.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-...99754246049798

Stumbled across this nice looking 5 only 40 miles from myself. On closer inspection I noticed the full number plate that had been partially covered in other pictures. Its the CAT C write off!

Anyway I thought I would see if the guy was interested in a deal and mentioned that its CAT C. No such luck, just text abuse and threats of his legal team!?

Stay away from this 'trader'.
    I would have to have a look at it first be for i offered him £800 for it. It could end up being a nice 5.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave..H View Post
    I would have to have a look at it first be for i offered him £800 for it. It could end up being a nice 5.

Think the car could be sound. However the dishonesty of the seller is more the point of question. I havn't hpi checked my 5 though, but if it was forsale and someone raised this issue, i wouldn't just deny it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just text my hpi £2.99p just for peace of mind.. It's easy thankfully mine was all clear it's a shame it didn't say dishonest owner..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just done mine at www.itextcheck.co.uk £3 all good! Even gave me engine and vin number which are as they should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has placed the 1st bid at £1500. Thought I would notify ebay its a fraudulent auction, wouldn't let me add any detail though.

I had a text from the previous owner I was looking to buy from in December, he said it sold for £2400 and made the buyer fully aware it ws cat c. Sounds like the guy/trader selling now was the buyer in December too so he either in denial or sells bent cars!