East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

F7P/R Turbo size

I've seen many an article in magazines with F7P's making around 300bhp with a T28 sized turbo, now I know my T28 has a way too small rear housing, 0.49 to exact, what size should it Idly be?

What size turbos do people on here use and what power they make?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: F7P/R Turbo size

Smallest you want ideally imo is a S14 200sx size unit (.64 rear), that should see 240-250, anything bigger & you are looking at maybe a pulsar with a .86 rear off the shelf (read cheap to pick up 2nd hand)... Or GT28RS is popular, the one used in the BB high boost spec. anything much over 320 you will need a 2871 or T3 based I reckon or suffer a lot of lag.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, well the 0.49 I've got at the minute made 234bhp at 11psi albeit causing **** loads of heat, my initial plan was to change to a GT28RS but with getting a tubular manifold made up I don't think it'd be making the best of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Interesting, well the 0.49 I've got at the minute made 234bhp at 11psi albeit causing **** loads of heat, my initial plan was to change to a GT28RS but with getting a tubular manifold made up I don't think it'd be making the best of it.
    I'm just guessing the figures for the standard 200sx @ a bar (270 deg bearings)
    Makes for a nippy road car, James' was rapid.
    If you are getting a tubular made why not go down the cheapy chinese jobby like Robbie & Mark ? I think they bought them cheap & had Adam L strip & re-seal them with decent bearings etc. Robbie made just shy of 400hp on 28 psi

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I think youre wasting your time with a T28. It's like trying to squeeze power out of a T2 on a C1J ! GT3071R is where you should be looking for low-lag and 300hp +. 0.64ar minimum I'd say

The T04E like Robbies old unit and Mark's will make good numbers but at the expense of response. Robbie will tell you they're a bit laggy unless your motor is good for some decent RPM. He complains that his drops out of spool a little in 2nd gear. GT3071R won't be anywhere near as laggy as the old T04E and should do almost as well in the bhp stakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear what your saying Scoff but Robbie and Mark are running a lot more power than I want to, my target is 280 maybe 290 at a push going for a GT3071r might be abit ott maybe? Let's be honest 250 is way power than useable on the road for a fwd car, 280 will only ever be pub bragging rights and the odd run up Santa pod. Would a T28 with the right size rear housing make that sort of power?

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

go for a pulsar sized t28.86 if thats the power your after as far as im aware they can flow 300-320 max

Post Thanks / Like

GT28RS on my F4R it made 341bhp @ 1bar of boost really nice flowing unit with a great power band.

Post Thanks / Like

should think a nice 2871r in 56 trim with a .64 exhaust housing would give a nice result

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    I hear what your saying Scoff but Robbie and Mark are running a lot more power than I want to, my target is 280 maybe 290 at a push going for a GT3071r might be abit ott maybe? Let's be honest 250 is way power than useable on the road for a fwd car, 280 will only ever be pub bragging rights and the odd run up Santa pod. Would a T28 with the right size rear housing make that sort of power?
    Pulsar unit then.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah fair play then, 28rs would work wonders

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

scoff talked me out of useing my t28 200sx unit i got stung with off ebay and went t3 off a cossie...........BEST DECISION EVER MADE!

Post Thanks / Like

What kinda power did it make?