Post Thanks / Like

clio cup spring specifications

Does anybody happen to have the specifications of the Renault sport Clio 172 cup and 182 cup springs?

Been looking on cliosport and can feel myself getting physically angry as spent ages trying to find the answer amongst all the threads that all end saying "just buy eibach springs" or "look on k-tecs website"

My 172 cup failed it's mot on a leaking rear damper, broken rear spring and broken front spring, after ringing a local breaker as I'm not in a financial situation to buy new, i was told yeah we've got all that in stock.
    Went down to collect them, spent 15 Min's looking in a shed for a front leg and could only find 1 bent one which wasn't a problem as i only wanted the spring, was then handed a rear spring with 172 written on, told him it was for a cup and he said definitely the right one, he finished off by giving me a damper with campus written on, again i told him it was for a cup which he then told me they all use the same damper on the rear, it's only the trophy which is different.

Got home and started on the rears, surprise surprise, the damper was different and the spring was taller. Great. Rang my old man and the breaker and they agreed he could go and pick the right parts up and i could drop the wrong ones back. Stripped the spring off the bent front leg, took mine off and it was wrong again.

My dad turned up so got on with finishing the rears, right damper, wrong spring!

Back we go for the third time, i managed to find a nearly new rear spring, bonus. front leg is another story, they had no cups in, we had to hunt around for a cup pack 182, found one but the markings are different to a 172, decided it was the only option so left with that

Got home and fitted all the parts for the re test but ran out of time so won't be done until Wednesday now

As far as i can work out the spring dimensions are the same, it's just if they're different poundage is what i need to know and is it worth changing to 182 cup springs up front or finding a 172 cup spring to change it for after the mot?

p.s sorry for the essay

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: clio cup spring specifications

Do you still have the two paint markings on the original springs?
    Also new 'stock' shocks, with trade discount aren't that expensive....

Post Thanks / Like

the 172 has white and yellow markings

the 182 has blue and yellow markings

that's the only difference i can see apart from mine having a bit missing

Post Thanks / Like

The paint markings relate to specific models, if you can find the same paint markings as the originals then thats the ones you need.

If you PM me your reg no. I can check the parts prices at work on monday?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks matt, there will be a pm coming your way when i'm back on the computer

From the research I've tried to do on cliosport the 182 cup springs are stiffer than 172 cup springs but I've not been able to confirm this also I haven't been able to see if they have different ride heights

Post Thanks / Like

172 Cup front shocks 82 00 681 108

£50.53 each

172 Cup front springs 82 00 257 954

£85.68 each

172 Cup rear shocks 82 00 662 257

£44.38 each

Still looking for the rear springs. Now owning a 172 Cup myself I've been colating the parts on a word doc as there are several parts that differ to the other models

Post Thanks / Like

172 Cup rear springs 77 00 436 850

About the same price as the front springs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Prices might differ slightly too. Depends on the Dialogys version and parts depts. Also how much cheeky discount you get....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking of discount

82 00 245 193

Non available in the UK, and typical Cup snobbery it costs more than the 172 equivalent. Would definitely like 1 though

Post Thanks / Like

Im on it mate.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Nicky are you a full Cliosport club member? I was thinking you could put a wanted advert for 172 Cup springs. There's a lot of Cup owners stripping them and tracking them so they pretty much bin the whole interors and upgrade to coilover suspension.

They're not at that point yet when they realise in say 5-10 years time they'll be worth something and that parts prices will go through the roof. There has been ads of full interiors for sale at stupid prices and if they don't sell they literally take them to the tip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

82 00 245 193

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT Tricky Nicky View Post
    Hehe, it's a Cup part hopefully Matt will get great discount on

Gearknob and insert

Post Thanks / Like

Also, i read on a Cliosport thread about buying Cup shocks and springs that you can only buy new items from Renault. You can't purchase aftermarket Renault Sport parts.

Post Thanks / Like

slowly finding some info

182: 2.43/5.04 daNM/mm F/R
    182 Cup: 3.19/5.65 daNM/mm F/R
    182 Trophy: 3.19/5.65daNM/mm F/R

just have to find out the rates for 172s

Post Thanks / Like

i was a full member, then it lapsed and i realised i could just about see everything i needed without paying, might be worth renewing to a full membership.

i was going to ask mr raider if i could borrow his log in to have a look through articles and for sale sections

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea

There's a chap on Cliosport (Tom) who is parts guy for West Renault in Cambridge. I dont know how far it is from you but he offers some discount on new parts and can deliver (for extra)

Post Thanks / Like

so it would seem the 172 is the same as the williams and has a spring rate of 125lb/f,

haven't found a definate answer for the cup but it's somewhere around 10-15% stiffer, so if i split the difference and say 12.5% that would ~140lb/f

does anybody know how to convert that to the same measurments as the 182 is in or vice versa?

still no closer to finding out about ride height differences though, from what i see a 182cup is 3mm lower but i don't know if that's against 182/172 or 172 cup

Post Thanks / Like

Copy and pasted, but no tech figures

The front castor angle is increased in order to make the steering even more informative and to retain optimum stability in both a straight line and when cornering.

Thanks to the offset of the new wheel rims, the front track is 20mm wider, and the rear track 10mm wider. This additional width increases the maximum potential cornering ability.

The overall ride height is reduced by 3mm thanks to new springs front and rear. With higher spring rates at the front, the suspension is firmer and more responsive to the benefit of the car’s overall performance. These modifications are complemented by the adoption of new tyres for the 16-inch alloy wheels.

Steering response is also more direct and informative, with an increased front castor angle for optimum stability. Also the flexible lower section of the front bumper and the larger rear hatch-mounted spoiler provide greater downforce and aerodynamic refinement.