Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Television interference

Hey peeps,

I'm pretty pissed off right about now, my neighbour claims my 5 is interfering with his t.v., and is now threatening to report the car as a public nuisance as a result, this guy is very much retired/bored and will most certainly make a new career out of making my life difficult.

Anything you guys recommend i change in a vain attempt to shut the annoying tit up? I'll be changing the suppressor on the coil as a matter of course, i'm also running B9EG NGK plugs which i suspect aren't suppressed, i remember scoff recommended an alternative plug he found worked well, any ideas which it was?

Secondly, any idea how much aggro he could cause, i literally pull into the street, turn around and switch the engine off, a minute and a half at absolute most, he used to work in the local council and i'm afraid he still has some strong contacts, sorry for the essay, i hate upsetting people and i'm totally clueless about any legal issues regarding this sort of thing as i have never encountered it before.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Television interference

its the supressor on the aei unit get a new onef rom renault

Post Thanks / Like

Richie's right, deffinately sounds like a duff/missing suppressor.

Have a look at your AEI- where it bolts to the block, there should be a very small black plastic block with a single wire coming out that connects into the AEI.

If its missing, drop me a PM - i've got one in the garage you can have.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is very bored and retired! Sounds like a proper Victor Meldrew!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Go chuck a brick through his TV, see how that interfere's with it!

They'll turn the analogue signal off soon, then he'll really be angry!

Post Thanks / Like

i made sure it was fitted when i relocated the AEI, i 'll check if i have a spare, if i don't Tim your offer will be much appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonesGTT View Post
    Wow, that is very bored and retired! Sounds like a proper Victor Meldrew!
    The guy is lost for stuff to do, he's going to "take action" if i've not got it sorted by sunday, i'd like to shut him up by sorting it, i much prefer the quiet life.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You could also try better ignition leads.

What are you using?

Magnecore are supposed to be very good at suppression.

You'd need all 5 leads to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    You could also try better ignition leads.

What are you using?

Magnecore are supposed to be very good at suppression.

You'd need all 5 leads to be sure.
    I'm using megaleads, no complaints before i rebuilt the engine and the same leads, might just replace them anyway if the suppressor doesn't work.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am having a smilair problem with 1 of my neighbours got new suprresor, magnecor leads, and new sparkies and still it is apparently interfearing with my neighbours TV who lives 5 houses away yet my neighbours directly beside me do not have any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, same story, he seems to be the only one round here, has your neighbour threatened any "actions". Will change leads and plugs and the suppressor, if that doesn't do it for him i'll just await his next move.

Post Thanks / Like

i cant see what they are going to do about it, if its noise complaint then they can make u quiet the car down but i dont see how they can proove your car is doing his tv, tell him his tv is messing with your car and your going to have the rtoc side exit boys round for meets on a sunday morning perfectly legal.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I was once quite a prolific radio amateur, not so much these days, the hobby's turned to ****. anyway..

I used to run a alot of radio gear years ago and caused inteference to one particular guy's TV. He didn't come and speak to me about it, instead he went and reported me to the department of trade and industry, who at the time dealt with this kind of thing. They turned up at my house un-expected, with a van full of test equiptment, I made them a brew and we sat for an hour testing the output of all my transmitters, all of which were fine (ofcourse, I'd made them )

Anyway, upshot was that matey boy down the road who'd paid bug bucks to have these guys come out received a letter informing him that my equiptment was fine and inside my licence conditions and that his TV receiver was most likely sub-standard

He moved house 2 weeks later. I'd have thought buying a new TV might have been cheaper

Anyway, point is, in the case of TV inteference, there is just asmuch chance that the TV is at fault and not your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    i cant see what they are going to do about it, if its noise complaint then they can make u quiet the car down but i dont see how they can proove your car is doing his tv, tell him his tv is messing with your car and your going to have the rtoc side exit boys round for meets on a sunday morning perfectly legal.
    that depends on where you got your side exit. my tiger ktec jobbie is ilegal

i think what scoff says is prob most accurate, i think the guy needs new cable to his dish or arial

if someone has theatened you. call his bluff and say your gonna report him for harrasment and having a dodgy arial

go out and see him and pretend to read somthing while talking to him little like that . and state you beleive its his prob and state whats said above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave j gtt View Post
    is there such a thing as an illeagal exhaust.

it'll fail the mot if the tester thinks the noise produced is excessive for the type of vehicle (or some such crap).

i'm pretty such there's not a dB limit for the roads.... for racing there is (check the blue book )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    I was once quite a prolific radio amateur, not so much these days, the hobby's turned to ****. anyway..
    Still got a load of QSL cards??

Post Thanks / Like

Who told you that?

Post Thanks / Like

police stated no more noise than 101 db

was front page news 2 weeks ago round here.

they police were doing spot checks and they had several people who had n/a cars that had failed one being a vectra that was 102 db

Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure there are any specific laws regarding exhaust volume... noise pollution past certain times at night/morning, yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    Im not sure there are any specific laws regarding exhaust volume... noise pollution past certain times at night/morning, yes.

i hope i still have the paper , if so i'll picture it and post it up

Post Thanks / Like

laws vary on the volume of exhaust .....

to PASS mot standards it had to be less than 90dB......BUT this is not a stated fact for the road ...it is in the discretion of an officer or MOT tester to decide if its too loud...

as far as the interference goes, try leads ...

even try a sheet of mesh wire on the underside of your bonnet,,,,,if you get in a scrap yard you will find on MOST citroen BX's....

Post Thanks / Like

Found this from your local council:

Dear Mr X,

Thank you very much for your complaint about the modified exhaust of a fiesta mk2. This is a common problem to many people living on housing estates. Unfortunately the modification is not something that the Council can enforce, this is a police matter. With regard to pollution this should be identified during the MOT and once again is something that we can not deal with in the Council. With regard to the noise, we do not deal with decibels as a noise limit. We deal with statutory nuisance, and how something "materially effects you in your own home", it also has to have severity, frequency and duration involved. The noise must pass from one property to another e.g. like the bass of loud music. Now with regard to your exhaust problem this is a very grey area of the law and can not be determined using statutory nuisance so no formal action can be taken by the Council. However if you provide us with the car registration, location of the vehicle and the address of the resident I am more than happy to report it to the Police and write them an informal letter explaining that they are disturbing their neighbours (you will remain anonymous) with their modified exhausts and that we have reported them to the DVLA and Police. This is all the action we can take. We will not be able to follow it up under statutory nuisance.

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Kind Regards,

Bracknell Forest Borough Council

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy-G View Post
    Still got a load of QSL cards??
    LOL, no, I wasn't into that malarky, HF is too easy. I built microwave transmitters and receivers, I was into fast data connections (before the internet did it all for you) and full bandwidth FM television on 10GHz and above. I wasn't interested in anything below 1.2 GHz.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, no, I wasn't into that malarky, HF is too easy. I built microwave transmitters and receivers, I was into fast data connections (before the internet did it all for you) and full bandwidth FM television on 10GHz and above. I wasn't interested in anything below 1.2 GHz.
    3cm from the top of a mountain? http://www.flickr.com/photos/91098242@N00/ Richard has some strange hobbies..

anyway, does your car interfere with your TV, go around to a some friends houses, does your car interfere with their TVs, does your car interfere with any of your other neighbours TVs? Does your car interfere with your radio?

Post Thanks / Like

Fair play Sir; I still have all mine in a drawer somewhere...

And looking at the kit you were playing with, your talents grossly exceeded mine

Post Thanks / Like

do you have a radar detector?

Post Thanks / Like

my car does the same to our tv at home... but only on digital channels...

changed my supressor but still no change.. will prob purchase a new one as the replacement was probably just as shot as the one i peeled off

Post Thanks / Like

police stated no more noise than 101 db

was front page news 2 weeks ago round here.

they police were doing spot checks and they had several people who had n/a cars that had failed one being a vectra that was 102 db
    at what distance did they take the measurement, at what rpm? was it a driveby reading?

this is just crazy.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GordonB View Post
    at what distance did they take the measurement, at what rpm? was it a driveby reading?

this is just crazy.....

similar thing happend round here around 4 years ago. lots of cars used to meet at stockley park cruise. police turned up blocked all exits and laid stingers. left one exit open for like 400 cars to go through and each car was sound checked. if we were over the so called sound limit we received a letter from the council with a noise anti social dispercial order, we were basically banned from the area between somthing like 9pm - 7am iirc. no one paid any attention to it though. one of my pals had a std diesel vectra and it failed too, so maybe it was just scare tactics by council and police.

Post Thanks / Like

just find an old CB trasmiter AM is better. tell your naubour to sort his tv out. this one a goodun cause he will be able to hear you over the tv

scalectric is also another way to show how bad his set up is .

remove the supressor from your hoover and realy wind the booger up

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

About neighbours..i have a neighbour..who moans about everything...watches everything i do as if its illegal lol ...i just leave him to it..old ppl have nothing else to do with their lifes other than complain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bodell View Post
    Found this from your local council:
    thankfully i don't own an xr2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    my car does the same to our tv at home... but only on digital channels...

changed my supressor but still no change.. will prob purchase a new one as the replacement was probably just as shot as the one i peeled off

Well, i've changed the alternator, the dizzy cap, the rotor arm, the ignition leads, the aei, the aei suppressor, if that doesn't do him he can do what he likes.

As for my straight through exhaust, well i've not had any complaints yet, but am going to put a silencer back in, as yeah, it is just asking for trouble, no matter how nice it sounds, could enter a massy fergusson sound-a-like competition with it though

Post Thanks / Like

keep the receipts to show anyone who turns up, you've shown more than willing to fix things. If they find it's his TV bill him for the parts you've swapped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    keep the receipts to show anyone who turns up, you've shown more than willing to fix things. If they find it's his TV bill him for the parts you've swapped.

Good idea, i bought them through the company i run, i'll take photocopies of the invoices.

I've done all i'm prepared to do, he even hinted at me getting rid of the car. Which will not happen.

Thanks for all the advice peeps, we'll see what happens now

Post Thanks / Like

Amen.. personally, i'd be looking to contact the local council myself now... let him know you've replaced everything that could be a cause and that you're looking for recompence... see what he says.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen.. personally, i'd be looking to contact the local council myself now... let him know you've replaced everything that could be a cause and that you're looking for recompence... see what he says.
    I'll see if it's stopped him whingeing first, I'll let him make the first move, even if it hasn't worked (i'm pretty confident there is something wrong with his aerial, or the reception of his t.v, both my electric polisher and die grinder sends him out complaining), I'll wait for him to make the first move, I'll explain to anyone that does get in contact the steps I have taken and the parts I have replaced, also the fact that even if it were my vehicle at fault, I'm only creating an inconvenience whilst the engine is running, and that is about 1.5 minutes from the time I enter the street to the time I switch off the engine, twice a day, an accumulated 3-4 mins at most in a 24hr period!

I have always let the car idle down the road from my street after a run to minimise the noise impact for the other residents(always have even when i had a silencer!), basically i think he's being totally unreasonable and hope whoever calls thinks the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Woh woh woh... your polisher and grinder affect his reception too?! Why didnt you say that in the first place... unless you're running them both off the car while its running its CLEARLY an issue with his TV... stop wasting your time, tell him to ****ing do one.

Post Thanks / Like

Woh woh woh... your polisher and grinder affect his reception too?! Why didnt you say that in the first place... unless you're running them both off the car while its running its CLEARLY an issue with his TV... stop wasting your time, tell him to ****ing do one.

I hate confrontation, but what you've just pointed out may lead to it, yes the die grinder and the buffer both run off the mains, and both have been mentioned by him as causing interferance. But why just me, unless of course i present myself as an easy target?

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you actually seen the interference on his TV?

Could it be the acoustic noise he is finding a nuisance?

Otherwise everyone else nearby in the street who uses a small electric appliance with a motor, ie, hair dryer, drill, would be likely to have the same effect

Post Thanks / Like

Because you're an easy target? Tell him to jog on.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

3cm from the top of a mountain? http://www.flickr.com/photos/91098242@N00/ Richard has some strange hobbies..
    g4erp, he is/was a big player in the ATV world, 3cms etc. Or was he involved with ATV, maybe not now that I think about it.

I live on quite high ground, I did OK on 3cms, I used to have links all over the northwest, I ran fast data on one subcarrier, voice on another and nicam stereo on a third toward the end - all done with homebrew transmitters and receivers! RX was usually a modified sky digital LNB in a sky digi dish, main TX links were home built transmitters built from old LNB's into 60cm dishes, about 100mW would give me rock solid links to friends 30 miles away. I ran a 1w system into a horn too for general reception by a bunch of guys.

I got into trouble with the DTI at one point, we managed to put a huge blip on Clee radar's screen for about 3 months by running 100w 24hr's on 1280 MHz, they wern't very pleased. The DTI guy was laughing though, saying it had taken them a long time to work out what the transmission was since it was so wide, it was only one of their techs that "listened" to it and heard 50hz and said "ah, thats television" so plugged it upto a monitor in the van and saw my callsign

Anyway........ inteference...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Have you actually seen the interference on his TV?

Could it be the acoustic noise he is finding a nuisance?

Otherwise everyone else nearby in the street who uses a small electric appliance with a motor, ie, hair dryer, drill, would be likely to have the same effect
    The die grinder is a small dremel type thing, i only use it on the lowest setting, my folks are watching their t.v the other side of a garage wall 3 metres away, they can't hear it and it doesn't interfere with our t.v., my neighbour lives across the street, and his living room is situated at the back of his house 25 metres away from where i'm working, the buffer is so quiet it's unreal, actually bought him out of his house within the first 5 mins of me using it for the first time straight out of the box. :S

Post Thanks / Like

i would go and have a cuppa with the guy.....then , sit and watch his TV with him.....

IF it is affected by anything else while you are there he has NO argumant with you....

(so get your mate to razz your car past his house while your there) and say , "SEE not just my car is it "

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Because you're an easy target? Tell him to jog on.
    +1

But after spending £50k+ defending legal action from a demented neighbour, I can understand your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    +1

But after spending £50k+ defending legal action from a demented neighbour, I can understand your situation.
    Eh? How on earth did that happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure it will wind him up more if you just carry on what your doing and just ignoring him. Then when people come round (if they do) who are about the complaint just speak to them about it.

Well thats what i would do =]

Post Thanks / Like

keep jumping out on him, then maybe he might die of shock.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    keep jumping out on him, then maybe he might die of shock.
    That could work! Try that b4 mine to be honest