Post Thanks / Like

chassis and non oe fit engines

im just after some info regarding how one goes about fitting an engine into a car that it wasn't ment for? im only asking about fitting the engine as looms/ecu etc can be sorted after.

what are the general rules when taking on something like this?

now just for example,
    lets say i wanted to fit a 4b1 mitsi evo engine into an r5
    what would the first port of call be? im assuming it would be measuring if the whole engine gearbox will fit within the engine bay yes? then fabricating engine mounts? and driveshafts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: chassis and non oe fit engines

yep,offer it up see where your at an go from there!
    when you look at what other folk have done there all kinds of possibilities,
    look at what you can fit in a mini...

thing is i like the car to look still standard within reason like the 5/vag

Post Thanks / Like

There are some crazy cars about a 205 gti with a Evo engine running a RS focus gearbox for front wheel drive

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

On my Ford Anglia with a cossie lump in the front and a 200sx rear end, I needed and engineers report for the insurance company.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5TURBORON View Post
    There are some crazy cars about a 205 gti with a Evo engine running a RS focus gearbox for front wheel drive

Any links or web sites?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5TURBORON View Post

Have you n the 205 with supra engine in
    700bhp rwd

http://m.youtube.com/?errmsg='null'%...&v=uRmpVQdKUDs

And this swb 205 doin donuts/stoppies lol
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?bmb=1&d...&v=xUshS0l1dRA
    Last edited by stu21t; 11-11-2011 at 09:46.

Post Thanks / Like

Any engine / setup can fit any car within reason but its a LOT easier if the new setup accepts the new power plant without major chassis mods. There are some setups that are a lot easier than others if retaining the oe ecu.

Also if the chassis is not messed with it is a lot easier to keep road legal without extra checks etc

Putting the 200sx setup in the la gold locost (caterham 7 stylee) was quite straight forward - 6 wires to make the oe ecu work so was slight / medium chassis work to accept and extra work to put the strength back and then solid mounted. Custome exhaust etc but was not to bad. In fact the sr20det conversion is VERY easy and makes good power at almost no cost in any car

I am currently putting the audi S3 tfsi engine with 6 speed (fwd) box into a vx220 turbo and like the vag / 5 conversion most of the pain is wiring - there rest is making custom mounts and spending time getting the position of the engine right

There is a rover v8 in a vx220 running around now and seen with my own eyes the RS4 v8 lump mounted in a vx but has stalled (im not getting involved!)

Sooo many newer cars share the same platforms so putting the bigger engines in is not such a ball ache

In a classic / older car it can be fun fun fun

I LOVE big bad engines in cars they dont belong - cant beat it

There is a ford Ka with cossie engine and 4wd conversion

DG

Post Thanks / Like

It can be a ball ache as i'm finding out. I have had to cut the chassis rail and its took what seems for ever to position the engine.Still not right and thats before even making up the mounts.

Post Thanks / Like

ok so how exactly do you know that you have positioned the engine true and straight.? is this done by eye? or is there some sort of measuring equipment?
    actually i recall on that chopshop series with bernie and leepu, they dropped a flat4 boxer engine into a mk2 golf and they had some type of measuring equipment to line the engine up correctly.!

and then there making the engine mounts, how does one know they will be strong enough and not break/warp/snap when power is put down?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Raj the questions are a bit weird mate, it's like asking "exactly how do you do that engineering stuff" - you just have to get on with it using common sence along the way ! There is no straight answers or special tools. You need a good eye for engineering, knowing where to measure and how to get the angles you want and not be scared of metalwork.

You would measure things up, make sure it's going to fit in the hole in the first place. You want to make sure you can get a good line on driveshafts, avoiding excessive angle on CV's, allowing enough space around the engine and gearbox for movement, check that you have enough room to get manifolds, turbo's, exhaust and pipework in.

If you're not sure an engine mount is going to be strong enough then you shouldn't be making them in the first place. Thats all I can say really ! If you're a handy engineer and good with fabrication then you'll just know what works and what doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to drop a Clio valver or MGZR shell onto a Pulsar GTiR chassis, not even measured it, just thought the other night, hmm, I bet that would fit with a bit of chopping & welding, lol..
    Or quite fancied a evo running gear into something.... The missus says finish what I've started 1st

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Raj the questions are a bit weird mate, it's like asking "exactly how do you do that engineering stuff" - you just have to get on with it using common sence along the way ! There is no straight answers or special tools. You need a good eye for engineering, knowing where to measure and how to get the angles you want and not be scared of metalwork.

You would measure things up, make sure it's going to fit in the hole in the first place. You want to make sure you can get a good line on driveshafts, avoiding excessive angle on CV's, allowing enough space around the engine and gearbox for movement, check that you have enough room to get manifolds, turbo's, exhaust and pipework in.

If you're not sure an engine mount is going to be strong enough then you shouldn't be making them in the first place. Thats all I can say really ! If you're a handy engineer and good with fabrication then you'll just know what works and what doesn't.
    thanks bud, makes sence
    lol yes i know my questions come across as weird but its the only way i could figure out how to ask them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I want to drop a Clio valver or MGZR shell onto a Pulsar GTiR chassis, not even measured it, just thought the other night, hmm, I bet that would fit with a bit of chopping & welding, lol..
    Or quite fancied a evo running gear into something.... The missus says finish what I've started 1st
    Steve I have thought exactly that. Pulsar gearboxes get a but frail over 300bhp aparently so would defo stick with EVO running gear. Maybe weld up some frame for the rear to hold the diff and suspension and mod front subframe to take engine. How hard could it be.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

theres a scooby wrx running gear/hole floor pan welded on a mk2 mexico shell in last months ppc that looked cool, just looked like he slipped the ford shell over the dooe shuts ect scooby inner wings, bulk head ect

as for the gti-r box my mate has so stupid engine in his some sister engine to some company in manchester some where bla bla bla......FAST AS FOOK

his box gave up at 300bhp so quafe did him a nice super box for bizillions of pounds so the stuffs out there for it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked the idea of a Lopo GTi running a 2.0TFSI or 1.8T. The VR6 conversions sound amazing though.