Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation joined today...need info!

First post!

what do i need to for a clio sport 172 conversion for the renault 5, im in2 minds whether to keep original engine or to do a conversion, also is it a fairly easy conversion to do, ive heard you need to remove the air con pump and powersteering pump too and then get hold of a r5 gtx front engine mount, is this true?
    your know how and opinions will be gratefull.
    Last edited by HEMMO R5T; 31-10-2011 at 13:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: joined today...need info!

is there anything up with the c1j as it is out of interest ?, what do you aim to get out of the car? and get from the 172 engine.

I know somebody (james5) i think, speant a long time doing a really tidy conversion , only to regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    is there anything up with the c1j as it is out of interest ?, what do you aim to get out of the car? and get from the 172 engine.

I know somebody (james5) i think, speant a long time doing a really tidy conversion , only to regret it.
    i borught it as a non runner, i brought it with my heart and not my head, was told that he blew the cylinder head, soo that needs doing, i was thinking about turboing the 172, my aims are to turn it into a fast road/trackday car, looking for between 250/270bhp mark

Post Thanks / Like

if your after that kind of power then the 172 route would certainly be a good option i imagine.. although theres a volvo 480 turbo for sale in the classifieds.. may be a cheap option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    if your after that kind of power then the 172 route would certainly be a good option i imagine.. although theres a volvo 480 turbo for sale in the classifieds.. may be a cheap option.
    yeah i have also thought about the volvo 480 turbo conversion, in all honesty i dont like the sound of it, when i lift the hood up i would much prefure to see the words renault rather than volvo, just out of intrest are there many tuning parts for the volvo engine?

Post Thanks / Like

I always wanted to do the volvo conversion in the clio but went with the c1j conversion in the end.

I believe there's not that many parts available for the volvo lump as markey mark is currently doing one and has custom made most of his parts.

Have seen them in a 5 before and it kicked my mates c1j into touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HEMMO R5T View Post

yeah i have also thought about the volvo 480 turbo conversion, in all honesty i dont like the sound of it, when i lift the hood up i would much prefure to see the words renault rather than volvo, just out of intrest are there many tuning parts for the volvo engine?
    after along talk with a friend of mine, he has persuaded me to think about the volvo 480 turbo engine, any ideas whats involved, is there forged piston conrods etc available for it or is it just mess about with the boost and hope for the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_clioGTT View Post
    I always wanted to do the volvo conversion in the clio but went with the c1j conversion in the end.

I believe there's not that many parts available for the volvo lump as markey mark is currently doing one and has custom made most of his parts.

Have seen them in a 5 before and it kicked my mates c1j into touch.
    so initially would be cheaper but getting all parts made would bring the cost up, thanx jamie you have jst setteled my mind on that, i will stay well clear of the 480, thanx alot pal, still gotta decide on keeping the original c1j or go with 172 tho lol

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose that all depends on your commitment to the car. C1j's can make for awesome track engines, same sort of spec as blunty5gtt on here as I believe his is abit of animal pushing 240bhp if I remember correctly. Pretty sure he dosent really have any major issues either. But if you can spare the time an engine conversion would be cool.

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is making 230bhp @24psi and runs sweet as a nut will.defo make a few more ponies when i lean the fuelling out a bit. I personally like the c1j the future is efi conversion though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_clioGTT View Post
    I suppose that all depends on your commitment to the car. C1j's can make for awesome track engines, same sort of spec as blunty5gtt on here as I believe his is abit of animal pushing 240bhp if I remember correctly. Pretty sure he dosent really have any major issues either. But if you can spare the time an engine conversion would be cool.
    oh im in no rush to get it sorted, i want it done proper and also 100% reliable, i want the perfect mixture of fun around a track and also at pod, ive heard soo many bad things about the c1j's that im worried about taking it past the 200bhp mark. the last thing i want is spending ££££'s on it then it all jst go pop after 1 to many heavy launches lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    Mine is making 230bhp @24psi and runs sweet as a nut will.defo make a few more ponies when i lean the fuelling out a bit. I personally like the c1j the future is efi conversion though.
    230!!! nice, how often do you use it, is it a daily runner or just a summer toy?

Post Thanks / Like

after along talk with a friend of mine, he has persuaded me to think about the volvo 480 turbo engine, any ideas whats involved, is there forged piston conrods etc available for it or is it just mess about with the boost and hope for the best
    Doing the conversion is quite easy to do, wiring is fairly simple and plumbing up too

As for tuning it yes there's not a great deal out there for it but carefully using a few parts from other cars and you can push them past the 200bhp mark with ease.
    I am doing the conversion in my car at moment and yes am making alot of custom bits for it but thats only because i intend to find out what the engine is capable of, push it to the limit.

In standard form there's no forge pistons avaliable for it but with careful bit of work some pistons from another car (bit of secret) can be made to fit the Volvo block
    Rods are 10mm shorter the the F7P and F4R engines so no foreged rods avaliable,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Doing the conversion is quite easy to do, wiring is fairly simple and plumbing up too

As for tuning it yes there's not a great deal out there for it but carefully using a few parts from other cars and you can push them past the 200bhp mark with ease.
    I am doing the conversion in my car at moment and yes am making alot of custom bits for it but thats only because i intend to find out what the engine is capable of, push it to the limit.

In standard form there's no forge pistons avaliable for it but with careful bit of work some pistons from another car (bit of secret) can be made to fit the Volvo block
    Rods are 10mm shorter the the F7P and F4R engines so no foreged rods avaliable,
    its intresting but im not sure if i want to mess around finding the correct part etc, rather by off the shelf, its jst easier for me, have u got any ideas about the 172 engine, ive heard they are reasonably simple to fit? obvs will be using the gearbox too!

p.s off to get a kfc

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fitting any of the F series engines you need the renault 5 GTX front engine bracket and the engine will fit in fine with same driveshafts and engine mounts. Then just wiring up and hoses to fit. Only issue with the 172 engine you need to change the bonnet as the inlet manifold is in the way, one way getting round it is by putting a clio 16v style bonnet on the car which then clears this gap. As for tuning of the 172 engine you can go anything up to scoffs level of tune which is currently running 749bhp on the last dyno run with a turbo. Or there have been S/C conversion or throttle bodies all which have been done to these engines.

Post Thanks / Like

its intresting but im not sure if i want to mess around finding the correct part etc, rather by off the shelf, its jst easier for me, have u got any ideas about the 172 engine, ive heard they are reasonably simple to fit? obvs will be using the gearbox too!

p.s off to get a kfc
    Its not hard at all finding bits, all it is really is camshaft (could even regrind original) larger injectors (can buy new if want), larger turbo, poss larger throttle body, delimited ecu (sold on here by Scoff) and then the exhaust and intercooler that you want to use.
    The 172 conversion is little more involved, not majorly hard with the fitting (same principle, same mounts) its just wiring and decoding the ecu. If you went 172 engine try find early phase 1 model with the cable throttle body.
    Can use the 5 gt box with either engine, that will bolt straight on.

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

230!!! nice, how often do you use it, is it a daily runner or just a summer toy?
    Its used as much as i get chance to use it really just depends how busy with work i am etc. Its defo comes lff road for winter though. One as i can get jobs done on it and two it keeps it off the salty roads.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Fitting any of the F series engines you need the renault 5 GTX front engine bracket
    Hold the Digger there Dale... Didn't you say that the GTX Engine mount was no longer avaliable??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Doing the conversion is quite easy to do, wiring is fairly simple and plumbing up too...
    So how come it's taken you years so far Mark & you're still not finished!?

Sorry mate, couldn't resist!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    So how come it's taken you years so far Mark & you're still not finished!?

Sorry mate, couldn't resist!!
    Mines not simple one and i've been lazy arse!

I've not updated alot recently but i'm 95% there now

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Hold the Digger there Dale... Didn't you say that the GTX Engine mount was no longer avaliable??
    I didn't say you had to buy it brand new

Wonder if its worth seeing if a company can replicate it else like the people doing the conversion later by drilling the gt turbo bracket so it fits properly

Post Thanks / Like

Just drill the gtt mount plenty of meat on it.

Post Thanks / Like

im affraid guys its the 172 engine, i just gotta have it, will the renault 5's gearbox be upto the job or would getting the f4r's box be stronger?

can any of you guys come round and fit it? lol all the cups of teas in the world will be waiting for you

Post Thanks / Like

im affraid guys its the 172 engine, i just gotta have it, will the renault 5's gearbox be upto the job or would getting the f4r's box be stronger?

can any of you guys come round and fit it? lol all the cups of teas in the world will be waiting for you
    Only thing with Clio box is the speedo pickup, later ones are run off rear abs sensor and early cars are cable driven.

You'll enjoy the 172 conversion, still good swap to do
    I'm not far away, if ever need help just give shout. I've done the old F7P conversion before so use to fitting the larger engine in

Post Thanks / Like

thanx pal, would appriciate that alot, im not that experienced with any type of engine soo a little bit of info and help goes along way, im glad i payed the £25 joining fee now...worth its weight in gold lol

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

This would be a big help to you mate.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=24730

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing at all wrong with the C1J, in many ways it's a more reliable, if not bulletproof design, given that it's tuned correctly, with correct fueling and a adequate cooling system for the oil and water.

The problem with it there are a bunch of complete amateurs out there (some tuners included) who have no idea how to tune a car (generally the turn the boost up and chuck a bigger jet in the carb variety... oh and the same people usually take the out the thermostat out of the engine as well..... )

There are lots of members on here who have reliably run 200+ hp from the C1J. Put together by somebody who knows what they are doing with the right parts (you don't necessarily need forged this and uprated that) they are a very simple and reliable little lump and if you're planning on using one as a track toy, you don't want to be putting more weight in the front.... theres a lot of info on here about that kind of thing, worth a dig about...

Also above 220hp there's little use for any extra power, you want to be thinking about how to get it down.... ie ltd slip diffs, suspension, tyres etc

oh im in no rush to get it sorted, i want it done proper and also 100% reliable, i want the perfect mixture of fun around a track and also at pod, ive heard soo many bad things about the c1j's that im worried about taking it past the 200bhp mark. the last thing i want is spending ££££'s on it then it all jst go pop after 1 to many heavy launches lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    This would be a big help to you mate.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=24730
    that would be a huge help to me, would quite easily save me £££'s havnt got that money jst yet due to a £200 fine else i would have that off you immediately, unless you would swap some of my r5 parts for it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olidaviesuk View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with the C1J, in many ways it's a more reliable, if not bulletproof design, given that it's tuned correctly, with correct fueling and a adequate cooling system for the oil and water.

The problem with it there are a bunch of complete amateurs out there (some tuners included) who have no idea how to tune a car (generally the turn the boost up and chuck a bigger jet in the carb variety... oh and the same people usually take the out the thermostat out of the engine as well..... )

There are lots of members on here who have reliably run 200+ hp from the C1J. Put together by somebody who knows what they are doing with the right parts (you don't necessarily need forged this and uprated that) they are a very simple and reliable little lump and if you're planning on using one as a track toy, you don't want to be putting more weight in the front.... theres a lot of info on here about that kind of thing, worth a dig about...

Also above 220hp there's little use for any extra power, you want to be thinking about how to get it down.... ie ltd slip diffs, suspension, tyres etc
    what you said about tuners, thats exactly what happened to mine, as for the engine ur right about it being nose heavy, and have budgeted for suspension and diff tryes etc, but that will come later, at the mo engine is first on my list, then suspension, interior (stripped) and finaly bodywork

Post Thanks / Like

Ok.. so if you've got a limited budget, then depending on your mechanical knowledge (there's always peeps on here willing to lend a hand if you get into difficulty) then you might be able to get back on the road with a good 200+ hp for minimum £££ depending on what kind of mess your engine is in, providing the bottom end/cooling system/hoses are in good nick then probably a lot cheaper than you think... which means more cash for other tuning goodies

what you said about tuners, thats exactly what happened to mine, as for the engine ur right about it being nose heavy, and have budgeted for suspension and diff tryes etc, but that will come later, at the mo engine is first on my list, then suspension, interior (stripped) and finaly bodywork

Post Thanks / Like

the bottom end is in gd working order, the pipes are all fine all it needs is a head which i was going to purchase off cbgmotorsport, pulled out to finance the f4r engine, ill be selling some things from r5 to help fund the conversion i:e leather interior, turbo, vented wing etc..
    im sure ill be asking for assistance in the future.....either to help bury my nagging g/f lol or assistance in fitting the relevant parts

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

got any pics of the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    got any pics of the car?
    not any yet, as im not sure how to post pics on here, but will post some tomorrow aslong as i find out how to upload them or can send pics via email tomorrow, im selling
    leather interior inc door cards (blue and white)
    carpet (grey)
    turbo (was told its a stage 4, but im not so sure)
    bottom end inc pistons etc
    bad boy bonnet with lurves (needs slight tlc as rust is showing where its been bad boyed)
    vented front d/s front wing
    double core intercooler
    carb
    tinted rear lights and smoothed boot
    also the stainless exhaust