Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Newbie from nottingham/ derby

First post!

Hi guys!

I'm Elliot I'm from a small town called heanor in derbyshire! I've recently sold my 320bhp focus Rs to give me a deposit to buy a house, but bein the car crazed man that I am I couldn't be without a turbo'd beast, so decided to go to a car that I always wanted when I was 17/18 and here I am on the Renault turbo forum

I've purchased a 1990 phase 2 5 turbo, 80,000 miles and one owner from new, I took a bit of a gamble with the car and was told by the owner that it was ok as it had not been run for over a year and had just been stored in a garage, not even having a test drive I bought it and trailered it home! The bodywork is really standard and tidy and the interior really is immaculate, I got it home put a new battery on and it started more or less straight away after trying to work out how this bloody choke thing works lol!

I haven't a clue when it comes to chokes carbs and ohv engines! I would consider myself quite handy with the tools and have rebuilt a couple of zetec engines but this is a totally different world!!!!!

Back to the 5 I'm just going to start getting it sorted for its mot but I have got a couple of little problems, it will start to overheat if being driven or just say ticking over! I am yet to do a compression test to see if the hg is ok! It does smoke a little white smoke too! The other little issue is that on boost it pinks! Which can never be a good sign!! So I do need to sort these out before I get anywhere so any tips would be great!!

Sorry about the essay lol and if anyone is local it would be great to meet some of u chaps to get some of ur wisdom!

Thanks elliot

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie from nottingham/ derby

Ill begin by saying welcome to the boards, your in the correct place. Im from swadlincote so very local.

Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and will pic these engines up easy, First question would be does the fan cut in and out?, next would be that it may be worth bleeding up the coolant system, (raise the header tank with each bleed nipple removed until the airs all removed and theres a constant stream).

Get your photos up of your r5 etc it would be nice to see it, any idea what sort of boost its running, personally on anything that old i would go buy a genuine oil filter and some oil, aswell as fresh leads plugs and dizzy/rotor, purely to avoid any bother.

If there are headgasket issues it really isnt to expensive or hard to replace (certainly the easiest ive ever done).

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

I'm in the Heanor badlands , just on the Langley Mill border so any help you need just shout out

Post Thanks / Like

welcome mate,

you have a fair few members local to you so help and advice should be easy to come by im in long eaton

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. BEst advice would be to invest in a manual. That should get you started.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi mate, I'm local to you- Belper. Good luck with your 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club mate

Leeds & South Yorkshire Area Rep
    Loose Bolts Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome buddy, theres a good few local members that i am sure will help you out if needed

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Clee where u live mate? Have u got a 5 u don't see many round here I don't know where u all hide. I live in loscoe now but have just moved from the estate opposite the Trent bus garage!

I will try and get some pics up as soon as I can but the days just seem way to short at the moment lol!

Cheers lads

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome you will get the right help on here enjoy get some pics up

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, welcome.
    Pinking on boost i'd check the vaccuum piping to the AEI unit(its the *computer* which controls ignition timing via the flywheel crankshaft sensor and distributor cap)
    If its a ph2 then the computer is a black box next to your battery, check that the diapragm isnt split inside by putting a small vaccuum or a little pressure through the pipe. Any splits will cause the ignition timing to not be altered on boost causing pinking

Coolant issues, general stuff, check thermostat first you can test with it out but id recommend leaving it in, especially over winter. make sure the systems bled properely. check rad fan operation, easy way is to bridge the rad fan switch with a split pin or some wire.

Good luck let us know how you get on

Post Thanks / Like

Also are you sure its pinking on boost and not just missing? there is an overboost sensor that needs to be bypassed if upping boost pressure but..... its probably best to turn the pressure down untill you understand the best way to up the pressure and fueling. where does your gauge go to on the dash when boosting?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ellclover View Post

Clee where u live mate? Have u got a 5 u don't see many round here I don't know where u all hide. I live in loscoe now but have just moved from the estate opposite the Trent bus garage!

I will try and get some pics up as soon as I can but the days just seem way to short at the moment lol!

Cheers lads

Up off Aldred lane. Not got a 5 ,bigger brothers , 21 and GTA's .

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome I'm close to you live in hucknall

Post Thanks / Like

im a derby 5 owner 2 may be the derby notts areas should have a meet up one day as there is a few of us.

Post Thanks / Like

hello and welcome, good to see more local members

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

hello and welcome

your in a good area to get any help required with your car thats for sure, you wont regret paying to join this forum

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome along chap, good luck getting up and running!!!