Post Thanks / Like

Peoples recomendations for flettening new paintwork

Hi all, I basically had some parts sprayed earlier this year and need to get the new paintwork flattened, What I need to know is if this is something I can do myself and if so how hard is it to do?

Cheers

James

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peoples recomendations for flettening new paintwork

1500 paper should be fine to flat it.

Lots and lots of water and gentle pressure should suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

flatting can be done at home, but if you go through the paint only way to repair is repaint.

When flatting avoid any edges etc as these will be prone to go through very quickly.

Anything from 1000grit to 2000 is good for flatting however if your new maybe start with some 2000's and see if that does the job, you want a block , water and a drop of washing up liquid, your looking for a flat as possible finish without going to mental, if the paint is thin and the finish is dry then it may not be possible to flat to a good finish.

After flatting ideally it will need buffing up using a polishing mop and cutting compound ideally followed by a polish on a softer head ideal for finishing.

I personally use g3 followed by whatevers kicking about, autoglym super resin or somthing.

Dont let me put you off just be sure you dont go to mental on them edges.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for reply Djinuk

I havent got a polishing mop, so have a slight problem there, plus where do you get G3 from? Seen Ed China use G3 loads on wheeler dealer lol!

Post Thanks / Like

I think halfords sell it buy the tube, although its good stuff to have a decent amount of kicking about ideally.

Its basically just a very abrasive polish.

As for a polishing mop, its a cracking investment really, I have a silverline one which is basically budget but its stood the test of time and its doing the job. You will amazed how much you end up using it afterwards, remmember you would always give the car a full mop to help bring out the colour.

If you wanted to go real anal then get on detailing world as theres loads of tutorials on how to cut paint with a mop

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the advice DJinuk, Andybond - looks like I need to invest in a mop and some G3 and have lots of patience!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with djinuk apart from if youve never used a mop before then g3 will prob b too aggressive, and if you use 2k paper then you should only need a polish not scratch removal, i would use g10. Its also a lot easier to work with. But it is messy.
    Wear overalls, tape up anything not being polished and watch a youtube instructional vid first.

G3/G10 are in yellow bottles and made by farecla. If your gunna use it a good mop head makes a big difference.
    A semi hard flat pad is best for g3, a soft and dimpled ones better for g10, and leaves less swirls.

Prob best to get an old bonnet or something from the scrap yard and practice first.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

fair point made there about the g3 and 2k paper, you would get away with somthing less aggressive.

Definatly a skill worth learning though.