Post Thanks / Like

Best Turbo spec for Turbo 2

Just wondering if any of you lads in the know could recomend a good (oil cooled) spec for a Turbo?

The present Turbo is a T3 (Alpine GTA?)Compressor a/r 0.6, 60 trim, 0,36 exhaust housing with a 0.48 as a option??

Estimated BHP is around 270ish The engines 1565cc, headwork inc sodium valves etc, It will be going over to EFI (Adaptronic)next year with chris doing the mapping

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by steveT2; 17-11-2008 at 19:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Tubo spec for Turbo 2

you'll probably want the .48. What are you doing for a cam? How about considering the GT28RS?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    you'll probably want the .48. What are you doing for a cam? How about considering the GT28RS?
    I was looking at the GT series Turbos, isnt it a must with the water cooling though as far as i can gather theres no provision for water cooling on the R5? A bit of a worry with the present T3 is lag its bad enough now with the smaller housing. maybe some can be dialed out when on efi?
    With the .48 do you reckon it will be OK for the estimated bhp?

Not sure with the spec of the cam JP is using its a maxi spec cam? i think one down from the hotest available? ill try n get the spec
    Last edited by steveT2; 17-11-2008 at 17:35.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't be to hard to convert the turbo to water cooled.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanting to keep it simple re; water pipe plumbing, Oil cooled only If poss

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveT2 View Post
    Just wanting to keep it simple re; water pipe plumbing, Oil cooled only If poss

Kind of limiting the turbo you could use tho. The roller bearings are all out the window. T3 it is then

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve

The oil-only limits you a bit. I think all of the GT series will want water ? can j.p not route you some water pipes ? GT28rs as Andy says would be real nice. Thats a T25 flange and discharge though, so custom manifold flange and exhaust.

Sticking with T3, I think 270hp is a push for the 60trim wheel and you'd need the 0.48ar to have a chance at that, 0.36 will choke it up good and proper.

I think even with a modern GT unit you'd have to tolerate some lag if you wanted to make 270hp. But, those extra cc's you have and EFI should mean that it isn't as flat off-boost as it was before, or atleast it may be no worse than it was if you swap upto the 0.48ar turbine.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the GT series Turbos, isnt it a must with the water cooling though as far as i can gather theres no provision for water cooling on the R5? A bit of a worry with the present T3 is lag its bad enough now with the smaller housing. maybe some can be dialed out when on efi?
    With the .48 do you reckon it will be OK for the estimated bhp?

Not sure with the spec of the cam JP is using its a maxi spec cam? i think one down from the hotest available? ill try n get the spec
    If you can get a better turbo for the sake off adding a couple of water pipes it's probably worth it.
    I think I know what that cam is, it'll have a fair bit of overlap so you'll need to be wary of running too small an exhaust housing. What is JP recommending to use with his engine? What's your manifold? T3 flange, single scroll, internal wastegate?

Post Thanks / Like

The T3 AdamL built for my GTA spooled up very early, 2.3k ish 60trim with a std gta .36 turbine .I've since put a .48 on and it was about 3.5 , noticeably more grunt but no way near as responsive lower down the revs .

Post Thanks / Like

Ime starting to think its stick with the T3 Genuine TDC manifold with the T3 flange, recent custom exhaust,
    Ive asked JP with the water cooling though and will post when i get a reply together with the cam spec.
    Didnt the maxis use a T3/4 Turbo? saying that they were well over 300bhp
    Just out of interest a old pic with the manifold trial fitted (before anyone says out i know theres 2 turbos)
    Another thought, a TDC close ratio gearbox is going to be pushing it along, which may help with the lag? keeping it on the boil?

P.S. A few more pics of the new engine in my album.

Post Thanks / Like

I get really lost with the A/R, Trim, etcin fact all of it if i stick with the T3 i have(with the bigger 0.48 exhaust housing) do you reckon that will be the best ill get? regarding A/R etc

Post Thanks / Like

This is a print out from a rolling road session at Motorscope last year with the standard(ish) engine, the three different readouts are because they were playing around with the MF2 controller/Water injection & boost, It was really crap to drive. really on/off, It had the smaller exhaust housing fitted

Post Thanks / Like

The 60 trim wheel people have mentioned above is the largest T3 wheel available. To save me typing it out and confusing things, Garrett explain everything on their site...

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html

The a/r is the flow of the housing, the larger the number the more flow/lag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    The 60 trim wheel people have mentioned above is the largest T3 wheel available..
    you're forgetting the super 60 (~64 trim - 1.9" inducer). I've also seen a trim of over 70.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a print out from a rolling road session at Motorscope last year with the standard(ish) engine, the three different readouts are because they were playing around with the MF2 controller/Water injection & boost, It was really crap to drive. really on/off, It had the smaller exhaust housing fitted

I wouldn't worry too much about previous results, what was that, about 1.3 bar? Pretty pisspoor result, but then, motorscope... You can see the turbo choking the engine from the shape of the curves.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

whats the comp ratio changing too with your new mods? as i know the std engine comp ratio is 7ish nice and quick off boost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steer from the rear View Post
    whats the comp ratio changing too with your new mods? as i know the std engine comp ratio is 7ish nice and quick off boost

Havnt a clue Russ, when i asked a while back with the cam spec he just said trust me ill make sure that you have the right cam Steve Ime sure he knows what hes doing, so ill trust him the cars staying down there untill early spring (because the garages have been taken over here with other family members) but ill have a drive down after christmas and try to get some info on the specs.

Andy, The boost was 1 bar not 1.3 as i said on the in a prev post Still a little tempted with the GT28RS, ill see how things go into the new year. skint at the mo

Post Thanks / Like

If you're getting a cam that you don't know what it is you'll have to get whatever turbo JP suggests. You need to match them as a pair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    you're forgetting the super 60 (~64 trim - 1.9" inducer). I've also seen a trim of over 70.
    I thought someone might mention that. Not seen the 70 trim though...

Post Thanks / Like

the turbo 2 water pump has 3 ports blocked off. surely you can use those to get water to a turbo?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought for maybe next year now the cars back, water cooling the turbo would it work similar to a GTT, Looking at young Steve's water pump coolant to turbo it looks similar?pic of T2 water pump

Just thought i would post this pic of a T2 maxi exhaust housing, it a big n