Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: front mount intercooler pipe run..??

suppose it is , i wasnt that happy about it when i saw it but it doesnt seem to be a problem , charge temps didnt go above 25 on the rollers , so im guessing on the road it will be even cooler ...

the angle of the turn from the i/c outlet looks alot worse than it really is

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't knocking it. I just wondered why it went like that, rather than say keeping the flow smooth by having the pipe come up where the anti-perc fan sits, and into the plenum that way?

What's the boost cct pressure drop like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I wasn't knocking it. I just wondered why it went like that, rather than say keeping the flow smooth by having the pipe come up where the anti-perc fan sits, and into the plenum that way?

What's the boost cct pressure drop like?
    i dont know..

but that bend is actually just as smooth as say a 90 would be , it just looks tighter than it actually is

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pic's for you Raj, i remembered to do it today
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

ahh nice one mate glad you remembered as i forgot

i see what you mean about modding that bit so you can run a straight pipe.

got to admit, i alway laugh when i see that intercooler, peeps say mines big but your is just ginooooooooormous what intercooler is that exactly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    ahh nice one mate glad you remembered as i forgot

i see what you mean about modding that bit so you can run a straight pipe.

got to admit, i alway laugh when i see that intercooler, peeps say mines big but your is just ginooooooooormous what intercooler is that exactly?
    Its a THS item which i got off ebay, got it cheap

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that intercooler is HUGE, Mark...

Post Thanks / Like

raj, looks like the same size as my old i/c

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Wow, that intercooler is HUGE, Mark...
    It is alittle big mate

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one of those in my garage, off my Pulsar, they're sold under a variety of names... They're all cheap import items though, but seem to work well...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i think this one is too mate but agree with you in that they work well, i've used this with my C1J and worked a treat with that so should work well with the new lump

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Nice work there Raj...Like it! I cant be of much help though as mines grill mounted.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm in a way now that my i.c is fitted i wish i would have gone for a smaller one as theres not much ground to cooler clearance.
    on the plus side ive fitted this cooler in a way so i dont need to chop the bumper to bits.

im still yet to buy the i.c pipes/hoses and already ive had an offer to buy the car and ive not even put it up for sale anywhere yet. i may take the offer as money is much needed.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm in a way now that my i.c is fitted i wish i would have gone for a smaller one as theres not much ground to cooler clearance.
    on the plus side ive fitted this cooler in a way so i dont need to chop the bumper to bits.

im still yet to buy the i.c pipes/hoses and already ive had an offer to buy the car and ive not even put it up for sale anywhere yet. i may take the offer as money is much needed.
    since you're putting it together to sell not keep, if the offer's good take the cash I realise the car's almost finished, but I also know how much work/money it takes to go from almost finished to done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    since you're putting it together to sell not keep, if the offer's good take the cash I realise the car's almost finished, but I also know how much work/money it takes to go from almost finished to done.
    i hoped to keep it but times have changed and money not plentyful anymore, so i will more than likely take the offer as it was a decent offer. to be honest the guy is gaggin for the car after seeing it and wants it asap lol.

i personally want to pipe up the i.c before i sell it though so i can see how the car performs. im actually thinking of including my 460 turbo in the sale for a tad bit more .

Post Thanks / Like

oookay, ive not even attempted to sort this pipe run out yet as ive had far more important things to deal with.
    however ill soon be back on it as ive sorted out a route for the pipework.

Question.
    what colour goes with orange i fancy having the boost pipes a different colour to the rest of the pipe work but cant imagine what colour would pair up nice with orange or should i stick with orange throughout?

Post Thanks / Like

Black would go well, but is that too boring?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misky View Post
    Black would go well, but is that too boring?
    no not black, im thinking blue? was also thinking yellow but i think that'll be a tad too much epileptic

Post Thanks / Like

Id stick with orange, keep it simple. Another colour will clash with it imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    through the bonnet, across the bonnet, around the outside of the grill, and back through the bumper. Mad Max style, you know you want to

ooooooo that never once crossed my mind when i was doing mine.

time for a rework!

Post Thanks / Like

cant do that mate, it'll cost me more as i dont have a std rad/fan anymore and i dont think the 16"spal fan will fit to the std rad?maybe wrong though.

plus anyway, its defeating the object.! i want this rad anyway its different and i like it.
    Prob is.....i have tried this rad and due to it being a non cross-flow design the water passes through it twice as fast as it travels right to left, north to south within the core, i found the best oe rad to be the clio 1.9d rad as it retains the crossflow design and is substantially thicker and wider than the gt type, your 16" fan would fit this also, just a thought....i only know this through my own trial and error!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Clark View Post

Prob is.....i have tried this rad and due to it being a non cross-flow design the water passes through it twice as fast as it travels right to left, north to south within the core, i found the best oe rad to be the clio 1.9d rad as it retains the crossflow design and is substantially thicker and wider than the gt type, your 16" fan would fit this also, just a thought....i only know this through my own trial and error!
    stuart, my prob is sorted now and the rad seems to be doing the job ok

however im still interested in what your saying about the clio 1.9d rad, is it just the flow of the coolant that is different to the extra van 1.9d rad.? i also notice the clio rad isnt as thick as the extra van rad? visually they both look the same i think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Clark View Post

stuart, what do you mean by non cross flow.?

ive got the mk1 1.9d extra van rad and the mk 1.9d clio rad both sat in front of me, the only difference i can see is that the clio rad isnt as tall.! other than that they both look identical. i thought the clio rad would be thinner but it isnt.

with both rads- you've got the cooling fins, and inbetween the fins you have the thin cooling bars which run left to right. are you saying the std gtt rad has the cooling bars running fom top to bottom.?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am literally in the process of fitting a FMIC / GMIC I have had to go down the route of fitting a campus pulley and belt (10 x 1140) in order to get my 2.25" pipework to fit as my reducer is on the carb elblow and to be honest it is a tight squeeze was unable to run over the top of the alternator have had to go around it slightly. You can kind of get an idea from the pics attached. I have also been able to keep the OE grill by making some brakets to move the rad further towards the engine a little.

I will put it all together tonight and get a pic with the bumper and grill on, now that my bolt for my mocal sandwich plate has turned up.

Colour wise matey stick with orange or maybe green?

Post Thanks / Like

james, im ok on the intercooler side of things now i have less space then you with me having a big rad, so im using 2" pipework

i was just asking stuart or anyone in the know what this non cross flow rad thing is? as in post no#73

Post Thanks / Like

ive got the mk1 1.9d extra van rad and the mk 1.9d clio rad both sat in front of me, the only difference i can see is that the clio rad isnt as tall.! other than that they both look identical. i thought the clio rad would be thinner but it isnt.

[/quote]

I think i have got a bit muddled up on the model front....the rad i found not to work was the one where the flow of water goes left to right then down the end tank and accross to the other side again, meaning both inlet and outlet are on the same side. For a given size of rad the water has to flow twice as fast on this type of rad.....

the best ic pipe run i found was behind the headlight as below and this avoids bels, subframe etc and its in front of the inner plastic mudguard so is away from the wheel

Post Thanks / Like

DOH.! ok apart from the rad question it seems im having abit of an issue routing the intercooler pipework

ive sorted the turbo to i.c side, but its the i.c to carb side thats holding me up

it seems really tight almost immediately after the i.c and i cant quite suss out how/if i can route it
    im wanting to go from the carb over and down the front of the alternator and around the subframe to the i.c

ive included some pics of my prob and also the finished turbo to i.c side.

Post Thanks / Like

raj i would take the pipe up behind the drivers headlight and turn the carb top to point to the drivers headlight too and it will be a nice pipe run without to much cutting to be done and its all hidden.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    raj i would take the pipe up behind the drivers headlight and turn the carb top to point to the drivers headlight too and it will be a nice pipe run without to much cutting to be done and its all hidden.
    yes ive thought about that as someone has posted a pic of this route earier on

thing is,im wanting to know how the people that have routed it over and down the front of the alternator have done so.?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

im not 100% how ive done mine at the but i will check 2moro and post up. how mines done if no one else has by then. And you might have a lot less space as youre using a bigger rad. and slightly different piping for it.

i didnt think mine would fit but with a bit of messing i got there in the end.

as i need to check my turbo to I.C pipe run as i changed it slightly the other day and think it might be fouling my engine mount possibley. does that sound possible at all bit of a stupid question i know. it is pretty tight down there though.. cheers

Post Thanks / Like

thing is,im wanting to know how the people that have routed it over and down the front of the alternator have done so.?

Either move the alternator nearer the block or take the pipe run under it and bring it up the side between the alt and rad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuTHC View Post
    Either move the alternator nearer the block
    Thats what i did! Bought a 10x1075 belt and put a camparse pulley on and it worked a tread! My pipe internal diameter is 51mm (i think)