Post Thanks / Like

few questions

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi there
    im looking at getting a stereo for my 5 turbo. ive always used alpine are they still as good as they used to be.
    also i am i ok running amp and sub off the standard alternator or do i need a bigger one.
    and finally what speakers are people using up fron components or just single speakers and what makes. sorry for all the questions but havent had an install for about 2 years and am a bit rusty on makes and models
    cheers in advance
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Re: few questions

hello mate. i find alpine is a good quality stereo nice clear sound ( im selling 1 if interested) as for subs and amps i was running 2 vibe monoblock amps and 2 x 10" vibe subs and a vibe 15" with alpine componants in the doors tweeters in the wing mirror adjuster bits 2 kicker 8" subs in the rear quater panels had it all running off standard alternator and had no issues

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always found Alpine head units great. only real issue I have found is that due to the angle of the head unit alot of CD players wont play properly and will skip a lot, but this was like 5 years ago when I was doing stereo systems in my car. Infinity speakers have always been best I found for a budget and the sound is crystal clear I found especially if looking at components up front. For an AMP I have looked at the Alpine V12 range has had no problems in the past plus of reasonable value. Sub wise though go with vibe, or look at the vibe/amp combo which goes well together.

Post Thanks / Like

The sound quality from the alpine headunits is still excellent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I have always found Alpine head units great. only real issue I have found is that due to the angle of the head unit alot of CD players wont play properly and will skip a lot, but this was like 5 years ago when I was doing stereo systems in my car. Infinity speakers have always been best I found for a budget and the sound is crystal clear I found especially if looking at components up front. For an AMP I have looked at the Alpine V12 range has had no problems in the past plus of reasonable value. Sub wise though go with vibe, or look at the vibe/amp combo which goes well together.

vibe amp and vibe subs together sound awesome used to make my car shake

Honorary Member Bruce - BHPerformance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alpine are very good but I have a lovely Pioneer DVD Motorized screen head unit and brain for sale for £150 (Cost £799 new) if you want to go AV.

Used it in my 5 as screen angle can be set to whatever you like.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

thanks for the replys.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

alpine are good but i would say that no mainstream brands are made with the same quality of componets they once were as fierce competition from cheap brands made for places like halfords and sold on ebay have made them look for cost savings to allow them to price more competatively, i would personaly look for a second hand unit of a higher quality than you could buy new, my preference is a brand called eclipse, they are made by a japanese audiophile company called fujitsu ten,
    as for amps my favorites are pioneer gm2200 / gm3400 models from 1990 - 1995 or alpine v12 amps from around 2000,
    speakers you cant go wrong with focal or diamond audio, infinity components from the early 90's have a sweet sound but are rare in good condition, i tend to buy speakers new as they are easily damaged by miss use