Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Somthing for the weekend.

lookin good al...as per usual, dead jelous buddy, did ya get my texts regards november? , so nice to see work being done on the ole girl.....some real progress and inventive things there my friend.....

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Sweet! Can that ecu be mapped if you have the software? like the clio 16v ecu?
    Same as clio ones really, most of them can if you have r-tuner software and the EPROM chip, Matt @ Code Red didn't have any luck with his version though and Henk seems to be fairly un-responsive about it too. Cheap though and does the job . The set up uses the r19 coil and sensors too - cheap and readily available. The TB is unusual and may even be a Jenvy, but no one seems to be able to trace it, the Fuel rail is a fabricated one and your welcome to copy it, i can take some good pics for you as required. OE crank sensor too
    Last edited by Alastair; 26-08-2011 at 21:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    lookin good al...as per usual, dead jelous buddy, did ya get my texts regards november? , so nice to see work being done on the ole girl.....some real progress and inventive things there my friend.....

Hey buddy, yeah were on for Nov mate, i will hopefully be in the new house by then, so you can come stay in the barn and do some decorating while i sort your brakes and engine

Should be able to go for a blast on the moors too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Yeah could do, got to fit the pump first...! I have managed to keep costs down by using the standard pipes (with a few extra bends ) and joining them with compression fittings from the local Pirtec. But it all depends where you want to put the pump.

Your best with a 106 pump though, everyone uses them and they are 50 squid for a good second hand unit. 172 racks are also 2.7 lock to lock so you get a quicker rack too. Wiring needs a 30 Amp relay and some decent cable, ive run mine on a switch so i can start the pump once the engine is running, but you could run it off the fuel pump relay latch for the same affect.

If you decide to do it let me know and ill give you my number.
    that would be great mate not sure when it would get done tho. got to get mot etc and have some fun in it before i start taking it aprt again

Post Thanks / Like

Hey buddy, yeah were on for Nov mate, i will hopefully be in the new house by then, so you can come stay in the barn and do some decorating while i sort your brakes and engine

Should be able to go for a blast on the moors too
    wicked , al` i have booked the whole weekend off with the family....i have clearance......so make sure your good lady knows ...jesus is arriving..., ta buddy , a once and for all for the cup.....lets do it buddy....

Post Thanks / Like

wicked , al` i have booked the whole weekend off with the family....i have clearance......so make sure your good lady knows ...jesus is arriving..., ta buddy , a once and for all for the cup.....lets do it buddy....
    All sorted, we can barter over a load of logs, got a log burner in the new place

Got the PAS pump in today...

Post Thanks / Like

PAS pump in the footwell:

Post Thanks / Like

All sorted, we can barter over a load of logs, got a log burner in the new place

Got the PAS pump in today...
    good man , water to wine , wood to logs... its all the same for the holy one...., i feel a list comin on....watch out ill be loaded up....you bin warned.., logs , old boris engine...coupe goodies etc etc... ohh an some wine..for the house warmin off course...

Post Thanks / Like

good man , water to wine , wood to logs... its all the same for the holy one...., i feel a list comin on....watch out ill be loaded up....you bin warned.., logs , old boris engine...coupe goodies etc etc... ohh an some wine..for the house warmin off course...

A good BBQ, wine, some boostings and a load of work on 5's... Sounds like a perfect weekend! I feel like i am in my 20's again Hope my knees can take it!

I'll PM you a list of stuff buddy, and i'll see if old Boris is up for it too. I am sure a load of the Devon Massive will be around if i put on a barrel of home brew

Post Thanks / Like

A good BBQ, wine, some boostings and a load of work on 5's... Sounds like a perfect weekend! I feel like i am in my 20's again Hope my knees can take it!

I'll PM you a list of stuff buddy, and i'll see if old Boris is up for it too. I am sure a load of the Devon Massive will be around if i put on a barrel of home brew
    .....love it al` that would be sweet bud..a list is needed , ill get it all ready, never mind your knees lets hope my sweede can take it......, well done buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Got PAS working today, feels great when stationary in the garage, just need to source a couple of driveshafts and ill test it on the road!

Post Thanks / Like

Evening chaps, just thought i'd let you know that the power steering has transformed the 5... i went for a short blast today to bed in the new engine and was stunned by how much nicer to drive the car is with the PAS turned on, even with r888 tyres and a quick rack, so mild mannered round town!

The wide-wide track has also helped the handling hugely and it corners on rails, turn in, add boost, diff locks, and efi boosts it out of the corner, i had a lot of fun!

I tried turning the PAS off like beforev(it is switched) and i couldnt believe how much i used to have to wrestle it!

New engine is boosting well too - zero breathing with the total seal rings in, v v happy tonight

Post Thanks / Like

****ing hell you've done that engine already Sounds fantastic progress!

I really REALLY need some of whatever your taking Al and maybe my 5 will make it on the road again!

Its such a ballache working on it pushing it round so maybe its time to build the engine then carry on with it!

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work Ali, now I can finish off my Saxo PAS setup on my R5. Did you get the Scenic arm to fit nicely with the extra caster?
    Matt@CRM

Post Thanks / Like

Same as clio ones really, most of them can if you have r-tuner software and the EPROM chip, Matt @ Code Red didn't have any luck with his version though and Henk seems to be fairly un-responsive about it too.

Bloody R-tuner was a nightmare.....When I e-mailed Henk about it, the only response I got from him was where I got it from, when I told him it was from Dave Gentleman, he never responded back from all my other e-mails, I even tried again on Cliosport.
    I think the unlock code had been put into it wrongly before I bought it, and so locked it out of further usage.......
    Was going to give the unit and interface to Scoff to see if he could break into it.
    Ali, I still have the software disc and manual to use Tewblog here I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    Same as clio ones really, most of them can if you have r-tuner software and the EPROM chip, Matt @ Code Red didn't have any luck with his version though and Henk seems to be fairly un-responsive about it too.

Bloody R-tuner was a nightmare.....When I e-mailed Henk about it, the only response I got from him was where I got it from, when I told him it was from Dave Gentleman, he never responded back from all my other e-mails, I even tried again on Cliosport.
    I think the unlock code had been put into it wrongly before I bought it, and so locked it out of further usage.......
    Was going to give the unit and interface to Scoff to see if he could break into it.
    Ali, I still have the software disc and manual to use Tewblog here I think.
    Matt, I would really like a copy of the software and manual if you can sort me out? I'll happily cover your costs etc! My map seems very rich on part throttle, but drives fine! I would like to have a go at getting a new EPROM chip and borrow your interface unit, see if I can tweak my map?

I'll have a look at the fast chips website later on too...

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Ali, now I can finish off my Saxo PAS setup on my R5. Did you get the Scenic arm to fit nicely with the extra caster?
    Matt@CRM
    Matt, yeah eventually, I'll take a pic and post it up. Very tight on the arches but the extra camber means it just clears!

I had the paint pen out yesterday tweaking the geometry on the drive - makes things repeatable(ish), it made a massive difference! The most awkward part was getting the ARB to fit the arms. I put the bushes in the kettle and loosened everything off and they went on ok in the end (with a bit of angle grinder help!)..

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing Williams/R19 16v ARB? Or Megane/Kangoo?

You won't find much info on Fastchips re: the R tuner.
    If you send me a padded A4 size envelope with postage paid to your address, I'll pop in the post to you, I don't want anything for it.....

I'll PM you my address in a mo.
    Matt@CRM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports; 04-09-2011 at 09:29.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing Williams/R19 16v ARB? Or Megane/Kangoo?

You won't find much info on Fastchips re: the R tuner.
    If you send me a padded A4 size envelope with postage paid to your address, I'll pop in the post to you, I don't want anything for it.....

I'll PM you my address in a mo.
    Matt@CRM.
    Thanks Matt, you also guess right!

Fast chips website has nothing on it, I'll give it a try and see how I get on with r tuner but will probably end up with standalone ecu from scoff when I have saved up.

What steering rack you using with the saxo/106 pump? If you can re-use the HP Pipe then do, custom ones are circa 50 quid, if you need to cut it leave enough for a compression fitting ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Blue Meanie #2 is going to be F7 powered so what rack out the Clio 16v or 172 (I have both) fits best is the one I'll use.
    Also using scenic arms, probably 172 hubs.
    Matt@crm.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, am using a Clio 182 PAS rack. Not too much fiddling to make it fit, but I had the head off so had access...! Pump from a 106. If anyone needs more info i took a load of pics as i went along.
    Hi Al, top work so far and awesome to hear that the EFI and PAS are working well. I've got a fire damaged phase 2 172 that I will be using the front suspension from. I was going to use the std steering rack with some longer track control arms but, your success with the 182 rack has given me ideas!?

Any info and pics that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Woz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    Hi Al, top work so far and awesome to hear that the EFI and PAS are working well. I've got a fire damaged phase 2 172 that I will be using the front suspension from. I was going to use the std steering rack with some longer track control arms but, your success with the 182 rack has given me ideas!?

Any info and pics that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Woz
    Woz, i would use the rack from the 172 with the wishbones (or scenic ones) and a decent ARB from a r19 or similar. keep the hubs and drive shafts too but they may need lengthening/shortening... Get a PAS pump and connect it up, then you get wide track, bigger hub bearings and power steering.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue Meanie #2 is going to be F7 powered so what rack out the Clio 16v or 172 (I have both) fits best is the one I'll use.
    Also using scenic arms, probably 172 hubs.
    Matt@crm.
    Very similar, the 172 mounts are slightly different and they need packing out with some washers/spacers. Both v similar though. Good luck with the new car, hope it comes together quick.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to use the following:

-Hubs (I know I will need to machine the strut mounts if I want to keep my Ledas)
    -Wishbones
    -Discs
    -Calipers
    -Driveshafts (it's a phase 2 so has the 2 piece RH shaft and will need to mount to the back of the C1J block some how?)

Did you ever look at fitting an engine driven pump or was there just not enough space?

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to ask what you are using at the back to compliment the wider front track?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Woz, yeah i thought about an engine driven pump but there is no room and i didn't want the water pump belt popping off every 2 mins. Electric Saxo/106 pump is perfect and easy to mount.

Rear end has much bigger torsion and ARBs with avo adjustables. i also tweaked the boot floor to give a bit more travel, it bottoms out at the top of the arches now not the chassis rail without the bump stops. It still feels like it cocks a wheel when cornering hard though, but not pushed the new set up too hard yet

Just took old boris out for a run and let him have a go, i think he liked it I couldnt get him out of the drivers seat

You might have to join an r5 inner shaft to the 172. A friend drilled and tapped both ends and joined them up with big stud, then welded it up, machined it and fitted another sleeve welded over the top, not had any issues since and it gets driven hard...!

Post Thanks / Like

Evening chaps, just thought i'd let you know that the power steering has transformed the 5... i went for a short blast today to bed in the new engine and was stunned by how much nicer to drive the car is with the PAS turned on, even with r888 tyres and a quick rack, so mild mannered round town!

The wide-wide track has also helped the handling hugely and it corners on rails, turn in, add boost, diff locks, and efi boosts it out of the corner, i had a lot of fun!

I tried turning the PAS off like beforev(it is switched) and i couldnt believe how much i used to have to wrestle it!

New engine is boosting well too - zero breathing with the total seal rings in, v v happy tonight
    great project bud. where did you get the total seal piston ring from?

Post Thanks / Like

Rings were a ball ache to source but i think Mike phase 1 16v can now source them for you, he may even have some in stock., i am not sure. He helped me out getting the sizes right etc, posting pistons to the OEM etc... He is your man, if he cant help drop me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers bud i will let you know how i get on.

Post Thanks / Like

Get some pics up Al, I want to see this new stance!

Post Thanks / Like

Auto test at the weekend.... Jacked up coilovers as was in an old quarry gravel tyres and sOftened everything up... Had a sighting lap round the rally stage (awesome set up and event) first stage, bang! New Clio Williams driveshaft (passenger) snapped clean in two like a carrott!!! GUTTED! broke inside where shaft meets the splines for the spider... It is going back!
    Where can I get some proper shafts made (not too expensive though!)

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to driveshaft uk today, they said they have only seen one Williams one snapped before! Option to have a custom one made up from a much stronger material, so I am going to have to bite the bullet. Waiting for a price... I just worry that the other one will go next time I play on gravel, apparently wheel spin on wet/ loose stuff followed by grip on Tarmac is the killer...

bob is very helpful, can't recommend them enough, they are even coverig postage for the return of the snapped one so they can see where it went!

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted for you Al but it's always a little risky when you are the guinea pig for a new set up. Going custom often means you can regain the spring in the shaft which helps resist the sudden changes in torque load.

Post Thanks / Like

Shaft changed, 15 mins start to finish, well happy. Then topped the oil up and been out for a blast. New stronger shaft seems to be holding!

Been thinking about saving up for some propper suspension, proflex/ohlins etc. Ive only seen one r5 with remote reservoir dampers but cant remember which project thread it was on - can anyone remind me?

Also new decals on the 5 now... pics to follow (thanks mike :-) )

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping to get into my ECU soon, anyone got an old windows laptop they dont use lying around?

Post Thanks / Like

Shaft changed, 15 mins start to finish, well happy. Then topped the oil up and been out for a blast. New stronger shaft seems to be holding!

Been thinking about saving up for some propper suspension, proflex/ohlins etc. Ive only seen one r5 with remote reservoir dampers but cant remember which project thread it was on - can anyone remind me?

Also new decals on the 5 now... pics to follow (thanks mike :-) )
    All sounds very promising Al, as for suspension, I'm pretty sure the project is DK DEVELOPMENTS.

Here's the link: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=3088
    Last edited by Woznaldo; 20-11-2011 at 10:52. Reason: Add link

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought i would update this thread for info in the future, the last rally day went really well, the wide track, extra castor and camber all came together round the tight chicanes with the power steering, we were really flying and the new engine and EFi (read actual throttle response) made a big difference too.

Then the engine stalled when sideways going round a tight hairpin and the TDC sensor had what itself, we got a new sensor fitted and when we started it up the clutch was making an awful sound, so it is engine out to find the problem!

Anyone with a 215mm flywheel handy please can you drop me a line!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought i would update this thread for info in the future, the last rally day went really well, the wide track, extra castor and camber all came together round the tight chicanes with the power steering, we were really flying and the new engine and EFi (read actual throttle response) made a big difference too.

Then the engine stalled when sideways going round a tight hairpin and the TDC sensor had what itself, we got a new sensor fitted and when we started it up the clutch was making an awful sound, so it is engine out to find the problem!

Anyone with a 215mm flywheel handy please can you drop me a line!!!
    so you want a flywheel as well as a tdc lead....

Post Thanks / Like

so you want a flywheel as well as a tdc lead....
    Ahhh do the saint has other goodies lurking? I'll drop you a pm!

As usual it was Jesus that helped out on the day by finding a spare TDC sensor in the parts warehouse he calls his loft!!!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, TECH CRAFT ARE REALLY HELPFUL!!! If you need help or a clutch call them!

Waddie: I've been using the same clutch as haz and scoff cerematalic 4paddle clutch from techcraft...mines roughly putting out 220-235 and 220-230lbft i use it every day or so...and its fine at 20-25psi drives nice with the long arm throw that the volvo 440t offers....i had a sachs and a valeo clutch and both didn't last 2weeks even after pod. bout 300quid down the drain plus fitting....give techcraft a call!.... if your running a 215mm flywheel then take down these notes when you call...7.62mmx215mm a paddle sprung center ceremetalic plate with spline to fit clio172 input shaft. 01926 403721 ps the older 440 460 480 turbo's use 200mm flywheels later 1's use 215mm

Options are as follows:

Valeo 200mm cover and centre plate paddle 200 ish
    Clio cup motorsport cover (215mm) and helix sprung 4 paddle - 400ish
    Motorsport ally bespoke clutch and matched flywheel, 400lbft capable - 900 OUCH

So can afford the latter, if i can squeeze a 215 pressed cover plate onto my c1j 200 flywheel that seems the best option.

Apparently the reverse torque will be what killed it downshifting into chicanes!

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you mention Techcraft, been on the phone to them today to see if they can help with my clutch, dead helpful bunch

Post Thanks / Like

On the lookout for a closer or close ratio gearbox for a reasonable price i came across this extract from Clio16v forum, although the source document is already on the site it is a useful summary for anyone looking into JC5 gearbox ratios:

How to use?
    - select the proper gearbox number on the Final torque ratio table (for example: JC5-014)
    - the 2nd column of this table shows the final torque ratio (4.067)
    - the 3rd column of this table shows the "ratio sign" (D)
    - the "ratio sign" shows proper row of the selected gearbox on the gear and torque ratio tables (0.324, 0.537 / 3.091, 1.867 etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Otherwise it is group A internal gear sets for 1500 upwards

Anyone know of a grp A gearbox for sale ....? Dont need the diff just the gear set!

So by my reconing the

JC5 014 = Williams, and has a v low 1st and close ratios all the way up with a bit of a leap to 5th.

JC5 053 = R19 16V, longer 1ST same 2-4 as Williams and shorter 5th.

Can some one sanity check that for me - am am having a blonde day!

Thinking the 053 will better suit my needs with a taller 1st, and shorter 5th, then put my diff in with a rebuild and hey presto???

Post Thanks / Like

Another useful soundbite from the manual:

The JC5-XXX boxes use a tapered roller bearing on the input and output shafts as opposed to roller ball types in the JB3-XXX. They also use a strengthened mechanism and clutch housing, have slightly different setting out of the input and output shaft lines, use wider teeth internals and the ratios are more suited towards 2.0 16v units to but apart from that the casings and differentials yes are pretty much the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Smashed my clutch - got it out today. Cover (Valeo 200mm) seems perfect, not sure what caused this - any ideas from the RTOC massive? This is a sprung centre OMP paddle..... Release bearing seems OK and fortuntely the flywheel looks fine too. Not sure where the rest of the paddle is, but it smashed the TDC sensor on the way out!

Post Thanks / Like

Done a good job of breaking that al

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Done a good job of breaking that al
    LOL yeah you should have heard the noise! Any idea why it went? Perhaps the pressure plate distorted on a down shift and gripped one paddle more than another?

What to do? Fit a 215 paddle to my flywheel or new of the same with a helix centre plate?

Do all paddles have really thin metal holding the paddles to the sprung part?

Post Thanks / Like

Can some one sanity check that for me - am am having a blonde day!
    you're having a blonde day, work out the speed in each gear and rev drop into the next

Post Thanks / Like

check the outer springs on the cover make sure one hasnt snapped? maybe this would cause uneven pressure snapping one paddle?

Post Thanks / Like

On the lookout for a closer or close ratio gearbox for a reasonable price
    I can't recall the gearbox number/code now, but see if you can sniff out a gearbox from an R11t - For some reason (Friday afternoon parts bin raid probably) Trusty had said gearbox in situ & it made for a cracking trackday 'box.

Was definitely a closer ratio/different FD than what was in my old Raider's gearbox, which probably helped made Trusty feel quicker than what it should've been, given the (v limited) engine tweaks.